PDA

View Full Version : Jewish food

purple
04-10-2017, 10:18 AM
We are having a Seder 'bring and share' meal for Maundy Thursday and I thought it might be nice to make something 'Jewish' rather than the usual kind of food you see at a bring and share (sandwiches, quiche etc)

Any ideas???

My mum is making 'Queen Esthers Toast'

It's also my birthday so thought something really nice would cool!

blythe_ann
04-10-2017, 10:59 AM
I do not know a lot about Jewish tradition, so if anything I offer is not appropriate, I apolgoize. Challah is a beautiful bread, lamb was common in Biblical times, I saw this recipe and it looks good http://jewishfoodexperience.com/recipes/cheesy-matzah-brei-kugel/ , and I like to daydream about desserts since I'm in training and can't eat them so this looks amazing http://jewishfoodexperience.com/recipes/double-chocolate-pavlova-mascarpone-cream-raspberries/

mina
04-10-2017, 03:49 PM
Several restaurant s and bakeries here send out seder catering menus and some things mentioned are: lamb stew, beef briskets, lemon quinoa salad, matzo ball soup, potato Kure and chocolate tart or blueberry pie.

snooch
04-10-2017, 05:19 PM
The one Seder I attended had wonderful lamb and flatbread. I think you're going to have a great time!

katzankatz
04-10-2017, 06:14 PM
Maybe a flourless cake?

Jesus-is-the-1
04-11-2017, 12:46 PM
The Seder's I've attended, people brought things like (although these aren't necessarily all Jewish foods):

spicy olive medley
roasted potatoes
roasted asparagus
lamb
challah
matzo ball soup
beef brisket
smoked fish dip
apples w/ honey
borscht
cabbage rolls stuffed with beef & potatoes
honey glazed carrots

tiredwalker
04-11-2017, 05:15 PM
Wonderful! I have a lot of Seder experience having grown up in the Messianic tradition. Stay away from bread besides matzo--no time for the bread to rise while before gettin outta Dodge and that is why Passover is also called The Feast of Unleavened bread. Matzo ball soup is great--the mix always works and tastes great. Borscht is also great. The girls and I made matzo bark for dessert this year--melt chocolate chips with a little 1/2&1/2, spread on matzo, and sprinkle with toffee bits and sliced almonds, then refrigerate until hardened.

You can also make chicken liver pate sprinkled with crumbled egg yolk to eat with leftover matzo.

purple
05-02-2017, 08:12 AM
sorry for not coming back about this. we ended up not going as my body let me down :(

Will keep these in mind for next year though xx