PDA

View Full Version : 2018 Goals

mina
01-02-2018, 10:40 AM
What are your goals for the New Year?

I want to read more, paint more, organize my house more, exercise more. I'm not making any specific goals, I am just trying to up activity in various sectors, lol. I have some extremely personal goals that are specific, but that I don't want to share - just keep it sort of private so I don't feel like an utter failure if it doesn't happen.

snooch
01-02-2018, 03:46 PM
Thanks for starting the thread this year - it always keeps me accountable, at least for a little bit :D

I always want to read more. Last year I didn't do so great - only about 10 books. Boo. I want to at least double that this year.

I want to walk more with my husband, even when the weather isn't cooperative.

I'm doing well so far about staying on top of the clutter, but that box of filing just keeps growing. I am going to fix that.

My main goal, really, is to eliminate toxic or just plain mean people from my life. I've let them creep in out of a sense of responsibility to longtime friendships, or a feeling of connection to the home I'll never go back to again, so it's time to let go. Life is too short to interact with people who just make me feel bad. No more of that.

Historia
01-02-2018, 04:42 PM
Last year I wanted my focus to be brave and had some personal goals to go with that. I failed. I think it was too ambitious for my personality. This year I want my focus to be to live and do more (in a positive/fun way) rather than feeling like a passive person in my whole life just watching it all fly by.

I have a bunch of goals to go with that theme. One is to be online (especially regarding Facebook and Twitter) a whole lot less. If I can work on that little problem of mine, I think the other goals have more of a chance.

snooch
01-03-2018, 11:08 AM
Don't count it out as a total failure, Historia. I can't imagine that it was. You had some big hurdles last year, with too-long visits and moving, and you got through those things like a champ. Bravery isn't feeling unafraid or not-anxious, it's feeling afraid and anxious and powering through anyway, and you did that. Plus, it's not a success-only journey, and every step forward meant one less step back. That's not failure.

Virginia
01-04-2018, 09:42 PM
My focus word for this year is "simplify." Nothing like becoming a mother to put things in perspective for me.

So goals that fall under simplify include the following:
1. Create a family motto with my husband, as well as a family mission statement
2. Say "yes" to things that support that mission statement and "no" to things that don't
3. Follow Emily Ley's "A Simplified Life" daily challenge, which is on Facebook. So far, so good.
4. Use my planner every day
5. Read more
6. Cook more whole foods and less processed food
7. Continue to exercise more
8. Explore fair trade products and local products- the idea of my money supporting child slavery is sickening... :(

DIANAC
01-04-2018, 11:31 PM
Do people my age suppose to have goals???!!! Just wondering....
I never set goals. If something needs to be done, I do it. I just did things that worked for my life and tried to find best ways to accomplish certain things.
My life is busy and as a new grandma, there's always something new to learn.
Aha! I just remembered. My goal is to organize my MIL's vast collection of photographs!!!! They go back to early 1800 and are in a state of disarray! This is a project and a half!!

Christina
01-05-2018, 10:14 PM
I don't really make goals for the year because I usually end up forgetting them. So I take day by day. In general with my life I would like to be a little more "together" with my husband on financial matters (I am more conservative than he is and his choices hurt us) and I would like to cook healthier foods and get into working out. Also would like to recognize, acknowledge and accept my limitations emotionally and physically and learn to work within those limitations as best I can, instead of trying to be something I'm not and do things that I can't really do.

katzankatz
01-06-2018, 02:06 PM
Since I feel so much better than I did last year, I want to get out of town more often. Going to visit my mom for mothers day with my sisters, and I hope to see my brother sometime too.

I got a good start late last year with minimizing the sheer amount of STUFF in my house. It will take months to work through each room, but it's not as hard as I imagined it would be. The places I have cleared out are so much nicer! Boxes and boxes have gone to donation. The biggest challenge for me will be my sewing room. When I get that done I can start hanging the window treatments that I need to alter to fit my windows. That will be nice!

tiredwalker
01-06-2018, 05:45 PM
My big goal is to read the New Testament and then a full read through of both. I did a read through last year, and want to make it a yearly thing.

The project I really want to get done is raising and butchering 25-30 chickens. My parents and sister’s family will help with the dispatching and processing and will take home 6 birds. All the cousins will help pluck pin feathers and learn the process. It’s horrific sounding, but I’m really excited. We’ll have pizza and beers and be up to our elbows in yuck.

DIANAC
01-06-2018, 05:57 PM
My big goal is to read the New Testament and then a full read through of both. I did a read through last year, and want to make it a yearly thing.

I do that. Sometimes I read the entire Bible in a year. But sometimes I go slower and read NT only. That's what I am doing now.

tiredwalker
01-06-2018, 06:21 PM
It seems good to vary it. Sometimes swallow it all so you remember the big picture and other times more slowly for the details and memorization.

snooch
01-07-2018, 02:01 PM
For those interested in going through the Bible, I have been using the Logos app, free on iPhone or Android. I started a reading plan that was recommended by a pastor I listen to online called Discipleship Journal Bible Reading Plan. It goes through the Bible in a year, with a daily reading from the OT, Psalms/Proverbs, Gospels, and NT. I like it a lot for a few reasons: 1) They build in 5 off day per month, so if you get behind you have an opportunity to catch up without feeling like it's hopeless; 2) It will ping a notification to my phone every day to remind me to do today's readings; 3) The OT readings are longer, so I feel like I can read them on a bit more surface level, and then do a deeper reading/understanding of the shorter NT readings; 4) I can use any version I want, for free, as long as I'm reading with a data/wifi connection (paid versions can be downloaded for offline use).

I feel like it is really helping me to stay on track with daily Bible reading. There are tons of other reading plans to choose from too, some that are NT only, chronological, devotions, topic-related, etc. so you have a lot of choices. You can also use it across devices so you can do it on your computer instead of a mobile device.

mina
01-08-2018, 01:15 AM
One of my main organization goals is to get my closet under control. My closet is a sad space that isn't that functional- half of it is taken up by an air conditioning duct and the previous home owners put in weird built-ins that i guess are supposed to be cubes, but are smaller than standard cubes so nothing really fits there and a weird shoe holder built in that is slanted down so all shoes you put on it end up sliding to the floor. So, I have to squeeze sideways to hang or remove anything and anything I try to put in the cubes falls out when I try to get it out and all my shoes are on the floor. None of that can be removed without demo-ing the whole closet. It's very frustrating and I just end up putting piles around the room b/c I don't want to deal with it. I think I'm going to get a wardrobe from Ikea and just use my closet for dresses and skirts. This will be the year of no piles.

blythe_ann
01-08-2018, 05:24 PM
Even though it'll make me sound whiny, my goal is to survive 2018 without completely falling apart at this point.
And, as always, be a better wife and mom.

Virginia
01-08-2018, 11:35 PM
One of my goals has been met, kind of: I started a Cookbook Club with my girlfriends! We're going to choose a cookbook or food blog each month, make a recipe off of it, bring our cooked dishes to someone's house, and just hang out and eat! I am really excited.

purple
01-09-2018, 10:22 PM
1 - To read at least one theological book a month - doesn't need to be deep but something thought provoking or something that makes me think about the way I see my faith
2 - To be around here more often - I've neglected this place for the last 2 years since DH has been home and I miss here, so I need to find a way to interact with you all again
3 - To find a way to bring some money into the house either by focusing on the business or getting a 'normal' job
4 - To be more adventurous in my preaching
5 - To renovate our new pop up caravan

Gillian
01-12-2018, 04:05 PM
What I would love to accomplish is a tidy, clean house and garages - there are five of us living here plus dog, so it will be difficult.

Gillian

snooch
01-18-2018, 05:05 PM
All of last year's filing is done except sorting through receipts to shred non-keepers and file keepers. I have one box from 2015-2016 when we moved to TX left to go, but I feel great about how much of it is now done. :)

tiredwalker
01-18-2018, 06:42 PM
Oh boy! I talked with one of my friends from the kids’ fiber arts class and she has a professional grade scalder and plucker that she’ll rent to us. That means we’re going to probably raise 40 birds. My mom said that when she did plucking the first time at her aunty’s, there were 8 people and 250 birds to process...wow! 40 birds with 8 people and a plucker should be a piece of cake.

I may get some practice too. Our rooster left a righteous bruise on my arm that could have easily been one of the girls’ eyes. If he keeps this up, he’s going on the pot. That should at least improve relations with my neighbor. 🙄

katzankatz
01-19-2018, 06:36 PM
Well, I've minimised the seasonal decorations, master bedroom, bathroom, and hallway. I'll need to go through it all again as there is still stuff that I am on the fence about. Today I'm working on clearing out a little writing desk. It's kind of shocking the number of things that have collected in there. This is a really big job. Sure feels good to get it done though!