PDA

View Full Version : Maid of Honor Speech

Ramura
09-08-2009, 12:04 PM
I have to give a MOH speech at my sister's wedding this week.

I'm kind of nervous, because I don't know what to say. I don't mind public speaking, I just don't want to say anything stupid or wrong or whatever. Plus, I know she expects it be good. We've been to a ton of weddings this year and almost all of them have had really dumb MOH and Best Man speeches. After each one, she makes some sort of comment along the lines of how ours (mine and my brother's, who's the Best Man) will be better.

I just don't know what to say. I know you all don't know her, so you can't tell me what to say exactly, but if you have any tips, suggestions, examples or whatever, that would be extremely helpful. Like I said, all the speeches I've heard recently have been kind of dumb, so I don't really have any examples to go on either. Any advice would be great. Thanks!

GM
09-08-2009, 12:08 PM
Short and sweet :) I've been to wedding where the speech never ends :)

Is there a poem you can share? My YS did that at my OS wedding. She gave a blurb on how much my OS meant (very quickly) and ended it with a cute, short poem...

overit
09-08-2009, 12:17 PM
Oh I want help too!!! I have to give mine to my brothers fiance as I'm MOH and have been practicing things and have some ideas in my head---let me finish it in a bit and I'll post what I have-any other ideas would be great though

Halcyon Fire
09-08-2009, 12:21 PM
Wow. Talk about pressure.

My sweet-hearts niece was the Validictorian and had to give her speech and the Sal's speech was HORRID... (sorry, don't mean to scare you but it led me to a thought). Hooking up with the best man to work on speeches might be a good idea. Not to make them similar, but to make them equally good. KWIM? (Ashley's was SO MUCH BETTER than the other girl's)

Anyway, why not look some up on the internet, just to get ideas of what other people say? Watch some "A wedding story" on TLC or something too.

Ramura
09-08-2009, 12:28 PM
Oh, she's not being a jerk about it! You have to understand, these other speeches were just ridiculous. It sounded like they printed something off the Internet, exhanged names and then read it straight from the paper. Even the tone of their voice was really monotone and flat. So, saying ours should be better really wasn't setting the bar too high, lol.

I just really want it to be good. For my sister, of course, because I love her and her fiance and I want their day to be perfect. Also for me. There's a lot of people I know there and I want them to be impressed. Especially since I don't speak publicly very often and I'm not the type of person you would think would be any good at it, I kind of want to surprise them and just make it great. I don't really know why, but this is really important to me.

Overit, I'd love to see what you put together! I'll also post what I have when I get somewhere. And I'll definitely make use of Google at some point. Thanks for the suggestions, keep them coming!

Halcyon Fire
09-08-2009, 12:30 PM
No. I just meant the speech period being pressure love.

overit
09-09-2009, 09:26 AM
Ok...here's mine ( a little long but doesn't take that long to read it really- still may change a few things but it's some sentimental, some personal thing, some humor.

"Good Evening, For those of you who don't know me my name is ____. I am the groom’s sister and (bride) is my best friend, and now more then a sister in law, she becomes the sister I never had. I would like to start off by thanking all the guests, the bridal party and the parents and family that have joined us and helped make this day so special.
To (brother/groom) and (bride), I was honored that you asked me to be such a big part of your special day; (even though I didn’t really have a choice did I?) ;) It was extraordinary to watch you both be married this afternoon. This day came so quickly and I hope you both take the time to soak it all in and enjoy each moment. Through the chaos and planning and my prodding you to elope in Vegas –I’m so thrilled that we’ve made it till this day-with our friendship intact-and our nerves not entirely shot-

To my dear friend (bride), first of all, Welcome to the family (you are a brave woman). Thank you for being such a great friend. I didn’t know (bride) before her and (brother/groom) started dating-however we became close quickly. I don’t have embarrassing stories of ex-boyfriends that I’ve personally witnessed-only those I’ve heard so to repeat what I know might be considered hearsay-and I’ll spare her the humiliation.
We have known each other for sometime now and I have always found your friendship and relationship with my brother very inspiring and honorable, respectful yet playful, affectionate yet silly, light hearded and kind. From the moment my little brother started so suspiciously traveling to _____ all the time-till this day-I’ve seen a light in him that has never gone dim. And I’m sure this is a marriage that will bring much joy to you both and will whether through good times and bad.
Thank you for being such a good friend to me-for displaying good character, for being fair, for telling me like it is, for sometimes holding my hair up as I groaned about wanting to find what you did. For your kindness and honesty, your nurturing and warmth. For making me laugh so hard I cry, for your playfulness and great sense of humor, for making our trying on clothes while shopping OH so VERY entertaining and funny!! For enduring the constant third wheel invasion as I set camp at your guys place so often with dog in tow-and not once did either of you make me feel unwanted or in the way. You opened your hearts and home to me always, and you both mean more to me then you’ll ever know.
(Groom/brother) ...Wow, my little brother, took his big step. You scared yet? Don’t worry…you can always run to (his best friend) house for some football and beers to get away!! And she can run to my place and share some wine and paint patio mushrooms ;) I love you dearly-through thick and thin-even if you were a little snitch and tattletale growing up. You have been more then a brother, you have been my best friend. From you remembering me on mothers day, to your hugs, to your pep talks and advice, to the “stay away from that guy” (and every guy for that matter) talks,” to your encouragement and support, for being such an important part of my sons lives, for all the joy you bring us just with your presence, smile, kindness, humor and big heart. I have seen you grow into the most wonderful man I know-you are my rock! I can only hope someday to meet someone that can measure up to the kind of man you are. It’s with love and admiration I say “welcome to your new life, may it be continuously blessed-may you prosper, and give me lots of nephews and nieces-mainly nieces--so I can return the favor by buying the loudest, most obnoxious toys you can dream of!
A few things you should remember:
The two secrets of a long lasting and happy marriage are a good sense of humor and a short memory!
Always remember to say those three important little words..."You're right dear."
If you're clever, you'll always have the last word. However, if you are very clever, you won't use it.
I guess you could say-to keep your marriage brimming, with love in the wedding cup, whenever you’re wrong, admit it. Whenever you’re right, shut up!

So to you whom I love dearly I say… from the bottom of my heart- will you please treasure each moment you have together and never take each other for granted. May your faith in God, your prayers, your love and warmth and deep friendship that has touched your lives and others from the start, always make your home happy, your life complete, and be the guiding light in your hearts. Congratulations on a wonderful future together.
Now it gives me immense pleasure (and relief) to invite you all to raise your glasses in a toast to (bride) and (groom) whom I love so very deeply
To love, laughter, and happily ever after...CHEERS!!!!

Ramura
09-11-2009, 03:11 PM
Overit, that speech is amazing! I really hope no one from my sister's wedding is going to be at your brother's because you would put me to shame, lol.

Okay, I have to go get ready for the rehearsal dinner, but I wanted to put up what I had so far for my speech and see what you all thought. It's not done, it actually ends very abruptly at this point, but just let me know what you think so far:

Good evening everyone. For anyone who doesn’t know me, I’m Christina’s sister, Bethany. Obviously, as an older sibling, I’ve known Christina her whole life and I’ve known Scott for just a few years less than that. And I’ve been waiting for them to get married for just a few years less than that. So now, after seventeen-ish years of building up anticipation and the last ten months of wedding planning, the day has finally come. It’s amazing how it seems like it all went by so quickly now. I mean, one day I’m quietly observing the budding friendship between two three-year-olds, then suddenly I’m panicking because they’re getting married tomorrow and I haven’t written my speech yet!

As most of you probably already know or have figured out, Scott and Christina met at a very young age. For the first decade or so of their friendship, their feelings for each other kind of alternated between extreme dislike and moderate affection. Unfortunately, they never seemed to be at the same place at the same time. If Christina’s feeling were on the moderate affection side, Scott’s were sure to be on the extreme dislike side and vice versa. This inconvenient rotation persisted for many years. But underneath the fluctuating emotions, they were forming a solid friendship. So when the time finally came when they both felt the same way at the same time, they already had a strong foundation to build a relationship on. And though many of us, myself included, like to complain about having to wait so long to see the culmination of that relationship, I have to admit that those seventeen-ish years of anticipation building were not wasted. In addition to forming a friendship with each other during that time, they were forming relationships with many others. They were forming relationships with family, both their own and each others. As a member of the ____ family, I can attest to how we have always felt a connection with the ____ family, even long before today’s ceremony made it official. They were also forming relationships with friends. They both have so many friends who have helped them become the people they are today. And although I’m grateful to be Christina’s sister, I’m honored that she considers me her friend as well. From the very beginning of her existence some twenty years ago, she has touched my life in so many ways. Of course we’ve had the occasional sisterly dispute, but the good times have far outnumbered the bad.

However, more importantly than friends or family or even me, Scott and Christina have been forming their relationships with Jesus Christ.

Ramura
09-11-2009, 03:13 PM
I'd like to include a Bible verse or two for the last part that I haven't written yet. It's about their relationship with Jesus, how it defines them and makes them who they are, both individually and as a couple. I don't know of any Bible verse that directly says that (my brother, the Best Man, is already using the "cord of three strands is not easily broken" verse in his speech, so that's out), but I'd like to get the general idea. Any suggestions?

Halcyon Fire
09-11-2009, 03:22 PM
Genesis 1:27-28a, 31a God's good and gracious work in creating man and woman for each other
Song of Solomon 2:10-14, 16a The lover arrives in spring to call for his bride
Song of Solomon 8:6-7 A bride beseeches her lover to be faithful
Psalm 127 A home built by God
Ecclesiastes 4:9-12 The values of human companionship
Mark 10: 42-45 It is better to serve than to be served.

Ramura
09-11-2009, 08:41 PM
Thanks Halcyon!

Okay, rough draft of final product. If it sucks, you all have until about 2 PM EST on 9/12/09 to let me know. :P

Good evening everyone. For anyone who doesnít know me, Iím Christinaís sister, Bethany. Obviously, as an older sibling, Iíve known Christina her whole life and Iíve known Scott for just a few years less than that. And Iíve been waiting for them to get married for just a few years less than that. So now, after seventeen-ish years of building up anticipation and the last ten months of wedding planning, the day has finally come. Itís amazing how it seems like it all went by so quickly now. I mean, one day Iím quietly observing the budding friendship between two three-year-olds, then suddenly Iím panicking because theyíre getting married tomorrow and I havenít written my speech yet!

As most of you probably already know or have figured out, Scott and Christina met at a very young age. For the first decade or so of their friendship, their feelings for each other kind of alternated between extreme dislike and moderate affection. Unfortunately, they never seemed to be at the same place at the same time. If Christinaís feeling were on the moderate affection side, Scottís were sure to be on the extreme dislike side and vice versa. This inconvenient rotation persisted for many years. But underneath the fluctuating emotions, they were forming a solid friendship. So when the time finally came when they both felt the same way at the same time, they already had a strong foundation to build a relationship on. And though many of us, myself included, like to complain about having to wait so long to see the culmination of that relationship, I have to admit that those seventeen-ish years of anticipation building were not wasted. In addition to forming a friendship with each other during that time, they were forming relationships with many others. They were forming relationships with family, both their own and each others. As a member of the Smith family, I can attest to how we have always felt a connection with the OíNeal family, even long before todayís ceremony made it official. They were also forming relationships with friends. They both have so many friends who have helped them become the people they are today. And although Iím grateful to be Christinaís sister, Iím honored that she considers me her friend as well. From the very beginning of her existence some twenty years ago, she has touched my life in so many ways. Of course weíve had the occasional sisterly dispute, but the good times have far outnumbered the bad.

However, more importantly than friends or family or even me, Scott and Christina have been forming their relationships with Jesus Christ. Both were blessed to have started this relationship at an early age and I pray that it continues to enrich their lives and the lives of those around them as they grow together in the Lord. Psalm 127:1 says, ďUnless the Lord builds the house, they labor in vain who built it.Ē More than anything else, Christ has been and must continue to be at the center of Scott and Christinaís love. We all are here today to celebrate and support and encourage their union, but only Christ can really make this work.

Christina and Scott, watching you get married today was extraordinary (yes, Overit, I totally stole that line from your speech:redface:). It was a testament of the love you have for each other, for God and for the love God has for you. Jesus says in John 13:34-35: ďA new commandment I give to you, that you love one another, even as I have loved you, that you also love one another. By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.Ē I believe that the love you have for each other is a shining witness of your discipleship to Christ. Hereís to a long and happy life, to my sister and my friend, to the love of her life and my new brother-in-law, and to their Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ. Cheers.

Kyrielle
09-11-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow. Talk about pressure.

My sweet-hearts niece was the Validictorian and had to give her speech and the Sal's speech was HORRID... (sorry, don't mean to scare you but it led me to a thought). Hooking up with the best man to work on speeches might be a good idea. Not to make them similar, but to make them equally good. KWIM? (Ashley's was SO MUCH BETTER than the other girl's)

Anyway, why not look some up on the internet, just to get ideas of what other people say? Watch some "A wedding story" on TLC or something too.

I was valedictorian of my high school, and I had to give a speech :) I gave my opening quote, which was something by Winston Churchill, and then as soon as I said it whooooosh, the wind blew my graduation cap right off! So I said, "Winston Churchill said...(insert quote here) and then his hat fell off!" I was proud of my quick thinking, haha. So my advice is, be ready for silly things to happen, and bring a smile!

We didn't do speeches at our wedding because we didn't want to pick a maid of honor and best man. We just had 4 bridesmaids and 4 groomsmen!

Kyrielle
09-11-2009, 11:08 PM
Ramura, I didn't know your name was Bethany :) It suits you. Bethany was actually one of my favorite names when I was a kid :D

Great speech!!

Ramura
09-12-2009, 09:40 AM
Thanks Kyrielle! Yes, my parents did a good job with my name. I've always liked it, never once wanted to change it. Thanks! :)

MsDahl
09-12-2009, 09:53 AM
The speech looks fab! I like the part at the end of the first paragraph that will generate some laughter.

Can I make one teensy suggestion? Can you mention some specific moments you shared in their relationship or specific experiences with your sister and with your future BIL? Or perhaps after you welcome him as your new BIL, make a silly comment about what's in store for him being part of your family now as official family status? To sneak in one extra laugh towards the end I think is what I'm saying...lol

Ramura
09-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Oh, I tried that. I'm terrible at specifics though, haha. My brother is too. We were sitting together for like an hour writing our speeches and trying to get ideas from each other and we just couldn't come up with anything. I don't know if there's just too many memories to pick one or if we're just really bad at this, lol.

I like that suggestion though. I'll keep thinking. The speech isn't until 10 or 10:30 tonight, so if something comes to me, I can always just add it in. Thanks. :)

MsDahl
09-12-2009, 10:16 AM
Some ideas to help maybe:

- If you had to compare your relationship with each of them to an animal, what would you choose and why?
- Halcy's recent thread about "Person A is like a lamp because she lights up a room when she enters it.....could that perhaps spark any specific thoughts?
- What was their first romantic experience like, when they realized that they both wanted more than friendship? Were they at a football game, etc ??
- Do you remember any moments in childhood where they played tag or hide and seek or where they played at the park together?

Ramura
09-12-2009, 02:37 PM
Thanks MsDahl! I wrote your suggestions down so I'll keep them in mind throughout the day and see if anything comes to mind.

I'm off now! Thanks for all your help!

Ramura
09-13-2009, 09:59 PM
The speech went very well. I wanted it to sound natural, so I didn't bring any notes or my written out speech. Good news was that I remembered pretty much everything, even the Bible verses and references. So what I posted here was pretty much what I said (it ended up happening way earlier than I expected, so I didn't have time to modify it unfortunately). Bad news is, instead of sounding like I was reading it, it sounded like I memorized it, which I did, so I guess that's not surprising. Oh, well. A lot of people commented that night that it was very good, though. One person even said mine and my brother's speeches were the best they've ever heard (She may have just been being nice though). My cousin has worked in the catering business for quite some time and has heard a lot of speeches and he said we had some of the best as well.

So, all in all, mission accomplished. I think it was a success. Thanks so much for all your input and suggestions! :)

GM
09-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Yay. Now pics please :)

Ramura
09-13-2009, 10:07 PM
Haha, I posted a couple unprofessional ones in the picture thread. I don't have that many right now. Hopefully, the professional ones will be in soon!

My new avatar is a picture taken my make-up artist (also happens to be the friend who's wedding I was in July) right after she did my make-up. She said I was her masterpiece. I asked her if she wanted to move in with me and do my make-up every day for work. She said no. I'm not sure why. :confused:

overit
09-14-2009, 10:55 AM
Oh I loved the speech you described!! Sorry I was also at my brothers wedding so I couldn't comment lol.....we also had a beautiful wedding-I did read mine but I have NO memory :) I'll try to post some pics here soon also.

Ramura
09-14-2009, 01:26 PM
I'm so glad your brother's wedding went well! I'm sure your speech was delivered amazingly. I can't wait to see the pictures!