PDA

View Full Version : A place to talk about the latest book you are reading

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

MsDahl
12-31-2009, 02:00 PM
So, I just finished reading the book Push by Sapphire (it has been made into a movie with a title change, Precious). It was a really hard book to read, I can't believe what one person had to endure in her life in the same country I live in. It's not for the faint of heart (lots of vulgarity and the things Precious experienced are such vile things to have to even read about it was difficult). I was crying just from the first page of the book. Has anyone else read it?

~Kellee~
12-31-2009, 02:03 PM
Subscribing :)

I'm not reading anything currently, but I'm always interested in hearing what others are reading.

MsDahl
12-31-2009, 02:07 PM
I read it as a recommendation from one of my coworkers for my job to gain a better understanding of adult literacy and the face of poverty in America. My heart really hurts for what she had to endure, I can understand how someone could question the existence of God after reading about a life like hers. :(

Boudica
12-31-2009, 02:12 PM
I just read the Outlanders serious by Diana Gabaldon. So far there are seven books, but the last one just ended, so there better be more.

It's about a woman from Scotland who went back in time 200 years and her experiences.

~Kellee~
12-31-2009, 02:13 PM
I want to read the book and I REALLY wanted to see the movie but honestly it intimidates me a bit.

MsDahl
12-31-2009, 02:45 PM
Boudica, someone just recommended it to me, I have never heard of it until then. She mentioned something about the heroine being not your typical heroine.

Boudica
12-31-2009, 02:49 PM
You really should get them. I'll forwarn you though....once you start reading them, you won't be able to put them down. There's seven books (so far) and each book is around 1500 pages long. If you're anything like me, you won't be able to get anything else done. :)

Lilium
12-31-2009, 04:31 PM
I'm working my way through three non-fiction books at the moment...

The Greatest Show on Earth by Richard Dawkins...only got this the other day so have only read the first chapter so far.

The No-Cry Nap Solution by Elizabeth Pantley...only skimmed a few relevant sections at the moment in the hope to help DS naptimes. So far so good.

Baby-led Weaning by Gill Rapley...love this book. I'm about half way through, loads of information and tips and we're all so glad we decided to go this route (DS loves it and far easier for DH and I).

So yeah, um...no fiction at the moment and sometimes trouble finding time to read, I need to work on that.

mina
12-31-2009, 05:23 PM
I'm reading really really light and frivilrous material since i'm on vacation. I'm reading the Boston Jane Trilogy by Jennifer Holm. It's a young adult historical series about a young girl who travels to the northwest in the 1800's.

I am also reading "The Prayer that changes everything" by Stormie Omartian during my quiet times. And i've been getting a lot out of it. I hope i can keep up with this as I go back to work next week.

I don't think I could read Push right now. I cry even when seeing the commercial for the movie.

chessbester
12-31-2009, 05:38 PM
A Long Way Gone: memoir of a boy solider...by who...I can't recall.
Eye of the World by Robert Jordan (promised DH we'd read them together before he read the latest book)

Lilium, Dawkins is so fun and quick to read, but I love him on audiobook for long rides. Very few non-fiction, non-narrative audiobooks pass the time like his.

Historia
01-01-2010, 12:26 AM
I just finished reading "Blink" by Malcolm Gladwell and haven't started a new one yet. I don't usually read non-fiction for fun, but this book was really good and had a lot of interesting stories built in to make the author's point. It was basically about trusting your intuition and why it is so powerful and important. He also dedicates a chapter of the book to what is not intuition, but superficial (or racist, sexist, classist...you get the idea) subconscious thinking. I've always been a big believer in trusting your intuition, so the book made a lot of sense to me.

Manna
01-01-2010, 04:06 AM
*subscribing*

Kelly
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
"The Trophy Wives Club" by Kristin Billerbeck (Christian chick lit)

I read the Ashley Stockingdale series and Spa Girls a couple years ago, and "Split Ends".

BelovedDaughter
01-04-2010, 12:12 PM
I am currently reading "Somebody Else's Kids" by Torey L. Hayden. So far, it's a good book and one of my coworkers has lent it to me. I'll let you know how it goes.

Xinnamon
01-04-2010, 01:37 PM
I am currently reading this book: Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips by the National Geographic.

I also bought a pile of books (mostly on history) the past December when I was in Hong Kong.

ardeur
01-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I just read the Outlanders serious by Diana Gabaldon. So far there are seven books, but the last one just ended, so there better be more.

It's about a woman from Scotland who went back in time 200 years and her experiences.

I LOVE this series. I've read the first 4 books twice now.

Right now I'm going through the "Anne of Green Gables" series again. I'm currently on "Anne's House of Dreams." It's not as sweet and enchanting as the first few books in the series, but it's still Anne. :-)

I've also been reading some Lisa Gardner books. Those are a lot more "fluff," but they read quickly and have some excitement.

Boudica
01-05-2010, 11:20 AM
I love Anne of Green Gables. :) I don't think I've read all of them though. Maybe I'll check the rest out tonight.

KarrieMarie08
01-05-2010, 11:59 AM
Right now I have alot of books and I have a place of quiet rest by Nancy Leigh Demoss and created to be his helpmate that I started last year and never finished. so I am going to start over with them with this new year.
I just got a Journal that goes with a place of quiet rest and another Journal I am going to start keeping a Journal of my Faith and reading more books.

GM
01-05-2010, 01:17 PM
A Long Way Gone: memoir of a boy solider...by who...I can't recall.

I started this book :D While on vacation in Palm Springs. NOT THE BOOK TO READ WHILE ON VACATION AT A NICE RESORT! I need to finish it but it's a hard read for me. I tend to get too involved with books like this one. :(

katzankatz
01-05-2010, 08:50 PM
I'm reading Sarah Palin's book Going Rogue (don't stone me please:)).

GM
01-06-2010, 12:11 AM
I'm reading Sarah Palin's book Going Rogue (don't stone me please:)).

:boink:

MsDahl
01-06-2010, 12:17 AM
A refreshing change of pace from Push....just finished Above the Line: Take Two by Karen Kingsbury. It was good as usual. Now I'm on to Wicked but it's a slower read than I was hoping for.

Rebekka
01-09-2010, 09:25 AM
I'm reading Boccaccio's Decamerone, it's written shortly after 1348, the year that Florence (and the rest of Tuscany, and other parts of Europe) suffered from the plague. It's a frame story. I love frame stories, and I love Florence, we went there on our honeymoon. Large parts of Florence are still the same as in the 1300's.

To flee the plague and find some distraction and fun, 10 young people (7 women, 3 men) lock themselves in a mansion in the countryside near Florence for two weeks, and each day except Friday and Saturday (fasting and praying days) everyone tells one story, so 100 stories in total. I've nearly finished it now. Most of the stories are about courtly love, some of them are sexually very explicit, most of them are very funny. There are also quite a few stories criticizing the hypocricies of clergy.

Chaucer's Canterbury Tales are influenced by the Decamerone.

I'm also reading Iris Murdoch's The Book and the Brotherhood, about a group of Oxford friends and former friends, one of them is writing a book on political philosophy and the others are financing it even though they have distanced themselves ideologically from this person's marxist views. It's interesting and entertaining, but some of the dialogue and the problems of the characters are a bit artificial IMO.

I finished Elegy for Iris a few days ago, by John Bayley who is Iris Murdoch's widower, about their marriage and her struggles with alzheimer.

Moonkitty
01-12-2010, 06:16 AM

I got to about the 4th or 5th book in the series and after that it couldn't hold my interest. I will admit that the first two books were amazing. I wish they would make it into a really good movie series with good looking actors, LOL.

Moonkitty
01-12-2010, 06:25 AM
I'm currently reading Polgara the Sorceress by David and Leigh Eddings.

I read this book nearly 11 years ago. At the time I really enjoyed it and thought it was a wonderful read. I loved how Polgara was a strong female character and I liked her no nonsense approach to politics

But now after 11 years of more worldly experiences I think the book a bit silly. It's not bad and it is something I would love for my daughter to read, but now I read the book and I think "That would never happen in real life, it would all fall apart....."

jelvenko
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
I just finished reading Huckleberry Finn not too long ago. Right now I'm in the middle of Uncle Tom's Cabin, Noah (ironically, it's about Noah), Dahveed Yahweh's Warrior (it's about David), and The Day the School Blew Up! (It's a kids book.)

And yes, it is normal for me to be reading this many books at a time. No I don't get them confused.

sugarplum
01-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Right now, I'm reading Sick Girl and having a very difficult time with it. Some of it I can relate very well to, but a big part of it deals with her bitterness and that part, I can't relate to, at least not in the same way she is portraying it. The way she is relaying her experience is just making this a very difficult book for me.

Mama2G
01-13-2010, 10:36 PM
subbing

MsDahl
01-13-2010, 11:04 PM
What is the basic plot of Sick Girl, Hope?

I've just past the halfway point for Wicked (taking me much longer than I am used to) and I am having a hard time to carve out any time for it. I want to hurry up and get to the part where she become the witch we all know and love. I've decided to try the Outlander series next.

sugarplum
01-14-2010, 10:58 AM
What is the basic plot of Sick Girl, Hope?.

I'm thinking you were asking me. :)

Sick Girl is written by Amy Silverstein. She was a 24yo law student when she was diagnosed with congestive heart failure. She details her medical journey from the initial (incorrect) diagnosis, receiving a heart transplant, and her journey as a post-transplant patient. She seems to be a very angry and bitter person, to be honest. I came to that conclusion very early on in the book when she was yelling at doctors and hospital staff - long before she discovered how dire her situation was. At the same time, a lot of her frustrations, I understand completely - from feeling like you aren't getting all of the information from the doctors, to the miscommunications, etc. She says that her book is open and honest and at times raw and that she refused to be the "grateful transplant recipient" that everyone wants and expects her to be. On her website (http://www.amysilverstein.com/), she says that she IS grateful for the gift she received, but she's not grateful for having to have the transplant in the first place, or the way it has transformed her life. And I understand that totally, but so far in her book, I've seen NOTHING that portrays even an ounce of gratitude. So far, I've gotten the exact opposite - that she's BITTER because she's alive. Almost "if this is what my life post-transplant is, I wish I were dead." In fact, the book starts out with her contemplating suicide.

I'm only about 2/3 finished with the book. I'm having to read it very slowly - about a chapter or 2 at the time - because it's such a difficult read for me. Because I know this journey that she's been on so intimately, I find myself getting angry at HER for shedding such a negative light on the topic. Yes, it's a difficult road to travel and someone who hasn't lived it isn't going to understand exactly what you go through, BUT, there ARE positives that she just seems totally blinded to, or chooses to ignore, I'm not sure which. I'm glad I'm reading it knowing there is another side and another story. But for someone who doesn't know the journey first hand, the book just sheds such a bad light, IMO.

MsDahl
01-14-2010, 11:40 AM
oops sorry, I don't know why I did that? lol Yes, I was asking you, sugarplum, I think I was tired last night...lol

That is one intense book, I can imagine feeling a cloud of heaviness while reading it.

sugarplum
01-14-2010, 11:48 AM
oops sorry, I don't know why I did that? lol Yes, I was asking you, sugarplum, I think I was tired last night...lol

That is one intense book, I can imagine feeling a cloud of heaviness while reading it.

It's quite alright! :D

Yes, very intense and very "down". Definitely not one I'd happily recommend to people. LOL

tiredwalker
01-14-2010, 01:56 PM
I'm reading The Idiot by Fyodor Dostoevsky for book club. I'm almost finished with part two of four. I have to say that I absolutely love it. It brings my maternal grandmother's people into perspective....no we're not crazy, it's our culture.

I'm also reading the organic bathroom book (one of the Uncle John's books). I got it as a silly gift for Christmas, but I don't want it to just sit on the shelf. I'm actually thinking about doing an apartment sized compost, but I will not be trying to convert my toilet into a dry toilet. My life involves too much poop as it is :-)

GM
01-17-2010, 12:52 PM
Just picked up 'AMISH PEACE".

Virginia
01-17-2010, 01:02 PM
Trying to work my way through "Ship of Fools" by Katherine Ann Porter. I studied her short stories in high school and was supposed to finish "Ship of Fools" but didn't :(

Historia
01-17-2010, 04:39 PM
I'm reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon.

Soulfire
01-18-2010, 09:53 AM
I'm reading Soulless by Gail Carriger. Just finished Warbreaker by Brandon Sanderson

Soulless is very light so far compared to the last book, and both are absolutely bright compared to The Black Jewels trilogy by Anne Bishop, which was the one before that.

Boudica
01-18-2010, 10:00 AM
I'm reading "Outlander" by Diana Gabaldon.

How do you like it so far?

jgonz
01-18-2010, 10:03 AM
I just finished Echo in the Bones (the 7th of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon). It irritated me the way it just Stopped at the end, but I LOVE this series!!!!!!!! I've read the whole series (except for Echo) about 10 times now. LOL

I read on a Diana Gabaldon fan site that some of my confusion with Echo might be because I haven't read the Lord John Grey books (there are 3). They're really short (especially compared to DG's Outlander series) so I went ahead and got them. We'll see how I like them... LJG is an ok supporting character in the Outlander series, but I'm not so sure how I'll like him as the main character...

Boudica
01-18-2010, 10:07 AM
I just finished Echo in the Bones (the 7th of the Outlander series by Diana Gabaldon). It irritated me the way it just Stopped at the end, but I LOVE this series!!!!!!!! I've read the whole series (except for Echo) about 10 times now. LOL

I read on a Diana Gabaldon fan site that some of my confusion with Echo might be because I haven't read the Lord John Grey books (there are 3). They're really short (especially compared to DG's Outlander series) so I went ahead and got them. We'll see how I like them... LJG is an ok supporting character in the Outlander series, but I'm not so sure how I'll like him as the main character...

Do you think they'll be an 8th book? I hated how it just ended too. There's got to be another one so we can get closure.

Historia
01-18-2010, 11:55 AM
How do you like it so far?

I like it a lot.:thumbsup: It's definitely a fun, fast read...which was perfect for my long layover in Detroit on Saturday and for relieving boredom at home until I start school in about a week. I probably won't be able to read anymore of the books in that series once school starts, though, which is a bummer.

chessbester
01-18-2010, 02:46 PM
I started this book :D While on vacation in Palm Springs. NOT THE BOOK TO READ WHILE ON VACATION AT A NICE RESORT! I need to finish it but it's a hard read for me. I tend to get too involved with books like this one. :(

It was gut wrenching. I finished it quickly, but had a hard time falling asleep that night, for sure. Worth finishing, though!

LoisGriffin
01-18-2010, 02:49 PM
I was in the middle of the first True Blood book but it vanished so am now reading Dewey. Its about a sweet little cat that lived in a library in a small town in America. I am loving it so far.

Boudica
01-28-2010, 09:26 AM
Has anyone read Alas Babylon? My mom said it was really good, but we have a little different tastes.

jelvenko
01-29-2010, 04:36 AM
Found my copy of The Hobbit the other day while cleaning, so reading it again. :D

quiet_dove
01-29-2010, 09:32 AM
I'm reading the book God Stories: Inspiring Encounters With the Divine, and I'm really enjoying it so far. It really helps bolster my faith to know that people have actually had encounters with God, and to be able to know that He really does listen to (and respond to) people's prayers.

Manna
01-29-2010, 10:23 AM
I'm typically reading a Fiction and a Non-fiction book at once. Right now my fiction one is Dream When You're Feeling Blue by Elizabeth Berg, and my non-fiction is The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd

Lilium
01-29-2010, 10:45 AM
I'm reading How to Practise by the Dalai Lama.

~Kellee~
01-29-2010, 11:12 AM
I'm about to start Stephen King's latest book Under the Dome. I love his books but after reading Bag of Bones I had to take a bit of a break. That book was SO intense.

Moonkitty
01-29-2010, 01:35 PM
I was in the middle of the first True Blood book but it vanished so am now reading Dewey. Its about a sweet little cat that lived in a library in a small town in America. I am loving it so far.

I have been meaning to read Dewey--I love cat stories.

~Kellee~
02-05-2010, 11:37 AM
I'm just about to finish Rosie by Anne Lamott.

It's not bad. I love Lamott's writing style, but I think I much prefer her non-fiction.

snooch
02-07-2010, 02:06 AM
I'm about to start Stephen King's latest book Under the Dome. I love his books but after reading Bag of Bones I had to take a bit of a break. That book was SO intense.

My husband is reading Under the Dome now and really enjoying it. He was a little apprehensive when he saw the size, since the bigger King's books typically are, the more narrative he tends to employ, and they can be hard to get into at first. But he said it grabbed him from the start and he's liking it a lot.

I finished The Lovely Bones a couple of weeks ago, so I could see the movie (which we still haven't done). I just finished a young adult book called Just Listen by Sarah Dessen which I really liked a lot, and now I've just started reading Breathless by Dean Koontz.

quiet_dove
02-07-2010, 01:54 PM
I'm just beginning to read Not the Religious Type, by Dave Schmelzer. According to the book jacket, it's about Mr. Schmelzer's journey from being a devout atheist who hated organized religion to being what he is now, a Christian who still dislikes the concept of religion. And apparently, Mr. Schmelzer is also the pastor of a church in Boston, the Vineyard Christian Fellowship. I think that if I end up liking this book, I might go check that church out.

Manna
02-07-2010, 02:55 PM
Fiction - Before I Wake by Dee Henderson

Non-Fiction - still reading The Power of a Positive Mom by Karol Ladd and am about to start reading So Long, Insecurity by Beth Moore with an online reading group.

katzankatz
02-07-2010, 03:55 PM
I'm reading When Crickets Cry (can't think who the author is right now). Kind of a weird title for a book, but it's good so far!

~Kellee~
02-09-2010, 01:31 PM
I finished Rosie, not one of my favorites but not bad either.

I've started Paradise by Toni Morrison and it's good so far. :D

Boudica
02-09-2010, 01:58 PM
I just got Alas Babylon in the mail yesterday. Can't wait to start reading it.

MsDahl
03-10-2010, 11:27 PM
Wow, just wow, I finally (FINALLY) finished Wicked. I didn't really care for it in all honesty. It started off decent but it just got to a lull for me halfway through and it never really picked back up. I'm so happy to be rid of it because I refuse to stop reading a book after I have read half of it and so it was holding me back from other books I want to read.

I was thinking of reading The Lovely Bones next while I wait on the Outlander book to come in at the library.

MsDahl
03-10-2010, 11:30 PM
Oh, and the nonfiction books I am browsing (I can't really call it reading...lol) are A Framework for Understanding Poverty (which is a good read but very involved) and several Charlotte Mason books.

snooch
03-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Wow, just wow, I finally (FINALLY) finished Wicked. I didn't really care for it in all honesty. It started off decent but it just got to a lull for me halfway through and it never really picked back up. I'm so happy to be rid of it because I refuse to stop reading a book after I have read half of it and so it was holding me back from other books I want to read.

I was thinking of reading The Lovely Bones next while I wait on the Outlander book to come in at the library.

My husband had the same experience with Wicked. He tried for more than a month to finish that book during lunches at work, and he finally gave it up. I haven't started it yet because I'm like you, I refuse to not finish a book that I've started reading, and I don't want to get bogged down with a book I won't like. (I also refuse to not read a book we own, so I will eventually have to get to it.)

I read The Lovely Bones and really liked it a lot. There was one part that I thought went over the top, and took a really weird turn for me. I was glad that the author didn't belabor it, and moved on fairly quickly. But overall it was a great book.

MsDahl
03-12-2010, 12:21 PM
Well, both books came in at the library at the same time and I decided that The Lovely Bones may be too heavy a read for me right now. So, I'm going to read the Outlander one.

katzankatz
03-12-2010, 03:16 PM
I'm reading When Crickets Cry (can't think who the author is right now). Kind of a weird title for a book, but it's good so far!
OK, here it is, March 12th, and I'm STILL reading this book! It's not that it's a bad book, it's just not really a page-turner.

MsDahl
03-12-2010, 04:13 PM
Lucy, ugh, I just went through that with Wicked! What is it about?

Historia
03-12-2010, 05:45 PM
I used to refuse to stop reading a book once I started it, but I've since changed my tune. I figure that there are so many great books, that I don't want to waste my time with books that I'm not enjoying...especially since I don't have much time for fun reading with textbooks to read and papers to write.

I just started reading "Though Waters Roar" by Lynn Austin. It's really good so far. I don't usually enjoy Christian fiction but I am a fan of Lynn Austin.

Trashionista
03-12-2010, 10:52 PM
The Maphumulo Uprising: War, Law and Ritual in the Zulu Rebellion - Jeff Guy.

For school.

MsDahl
05-21-2010, 05:30 PM
I confess that I realized a few chapters into the Outlander book that I wasn't going to be able to stick with it for the long haul. I decided to return to it in the future. I have 2 books I need to read for work. One I just finished (A Framework for Understanding Poverty, which was a very good read!) and the other I am reading now One Child .... so good, it has really pulled me in. I am considering tackling A Child Called It after this one, but not really sure, I've heard that book is very difficult to read.

katzankatz
05-21-2010, 06:08 PM
Lucy, ugh, I just went through that with Wicked! What is it about?
Just saw this reply.

When Crickets Cry is about a man who's a heart surgeon who's given up his practice. He meets a little girl in need of a heart transplant. The plot kind of skips around alot from past to present and this makes it seem slow. But you learn what happened to the doctor and it actually turned out good in the end. I had been thinking it was totally predictable and just kind of bland. It had a couple surprises in it and even left me thinking a little bit at the end.

katzankatz
05-21-2010, 06:11 PM
Now I am reading another book that is plodding too slowly for my tastes. Sandra Dallas Prayers For Sale.

Mrs_B
05-21-2010, 07:31 PM
Just finished Angie Smith's I Will Carry You. Absolutely fantastic. I wholeheartedly recommend this book! Grab some tissues though!

Just started Max Lucado's Fearless

Manna
05-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Forgot about this thread!

Reading Ted Dekker's The Bride Collector right now. Just bought a bunch of new books yesterday, so can't wait to move on to them!

Xinnamon
05-22-2010, 12:20 AM
I used to refuse to stop reading a book once I started it, but I've since changed my tune. I figure that there are so many great books, that I don't want to waste my time with books that I'm not enjoying...especially since I don't have much time for fun reading with textbooks to read and papers to write.

I'm the same. :)

I'm reading:
Isms: Understanding Art (http://www.amazon.com/Isms-Understanding-Art-Stephen-Little/dp/0789312093) .

katzankatz
05-22-2010, 12:38 AM
Forgot about this thread!

Reading Ted Dekker's The Bride Collector right now. Just bought a bunch of new books yesterday, so can't wait to move on to them!
How is that? I saw it in the bookstore the other day and though it looked good.

Manna
05-22-2010, 11:37 AM
So far it's great! I'm about halfway through...haven't had much time to read the last few days.

I have to admit I'm biased, though. Ted Dekker is my all-time favorite author, and that's saying something! So it's hard to find a book of his that I'm not crazy about! Out of the 30-something he's written, only 1 didn't float my boat, lol!

MsDahl
06-14-2010, 12:15 AM
I read The Lovely Bones and really liked it a lot. There was one part that I thought went over the top, and took a really weird turn for me. I was glad that the author didn't belabor it, and moved on fairly quickly. But overall it was a great book.

I decided to watch the movie instead (shocker for me!) and I just finished watching it. Oh my, I cried at least 4 different times....

snooch
06-14-2010, 11:31 AM
I decided to watch the movie instead (shocker for me!) and I just finished watching it. Oh my, I cried at least 4 different times....

Can you believe I *still* have not watched that movie?! I read the book months ago in preparation for it, never saw it in the theatre, and took forever to pick up the DVD. It's at the top of my to-watch list, I just need to find two hours when hubby and I don't have a zillion other things to do, LOL.

Historia
06-14-2010, 06:14 PM
Since school ended last month, I've read Wicked and Five People You Meet In Heaven. I thought Wicked was good until a certain point. Then I stuck with the book because it was just interesting enough to see through to the end. I think I might give him another chance with a different book in the future. Five People You Meet In Heaven I really liked, all of the way through.

I just started reading The Jesus Year. It's about an Orthodox Rabbi's son who spends a year exploring Christianity.

MsDahl
06-14-2010, 09:09 PM
snooch, you'll really like the movie. I'm curious about the part in the book that you thought was strange. Can you post it using a "spoiler" thingie?

So, since it's summer time and I've had to read tons of education related textbooks for the last 8 months or so, I've decided to just indulge in trashy summer reading! So, I finished the first 2 books of The Vampire Diaries (waiting on the next one to come in at my library) and I am on the 3rd book of Karen Marie Moning's 'fever' series. I really like the series, addictive!

snooch
06-15-2010, 12:56 PM
Since school ended last month, I've read Wicked and Five People You Meet In Heaven. I thought Wicked was good until a certain point. Then I stuck with the book because it was just interesting enough to see through to the end. I think I might give him another chance with a different book in the future. Five People You Meet In Heaven I really liked, all of the way through.

I just started reading The Jesus Year. It's about an Orthodox Rabbi's son who spends a year exploring Christianity.

I loved The Five People You Meet In Heaven. I really like Mitch Albom in general, but this book was so moving - even if it's not the theological bent that I believe in, it really touched my heart.

snooch, you'll really like the movie. I'm curious about the part in the book that you thought was strange. Can you post it using a "spoiler" thingie?

Okay, here it is:

In the book, and I assume they do this in the movie too, Susie possesses the body of her friend Ruth, and uses it to have sex with Ray. I thought this was really weird for a number of reasons, not the least of which was that Susie died at 14 years old and Ray is much older and out of college at this point - it was a creepy turn to the story for me. Plus, I think it's REALLY weird that she's spent all this time watching her killer, and she finally has the ability to speak to someone, but she doesn't tell Ray who killed her or where to find her body.

Just the whole sex thing I thought was so off, and I was glad she didn't belabor the point and moved on quickly from it.

So, since it's summer time and I've had to read tons of education related textbooks for the last 8 months or so, I've decided to just indulge in trashy summer reading! So, I finished the first 2 books of The Vampire Diaries (waiting on the next one to come in at my library) and I am on the 3rd book of Karen Marie Moning's 'fever' series. I really like the series, addictive!I love doing this occasionally too! As soon as I finish my current book, I'm going to go back and read the entire Harry Potter series again so I have it all fresh in my mind for the movie in November :)

Oh, I'm currently reading The Lost Symbol by Dan Brown.

MsDahl
06-15-2010, 03:38 PM
Oh wow, that *is* weird!!! They changed it for the movie and I MUCH preferred the movie version over that, snooch.

Trashionista
06-15-2010, 05:14 PM
I've been watching a lot of documentaries about HIV/AIDs recently (BBC's I Love Being HIV+, The Age of AIDs, The Fifth Estate : The Origin of AIDs), so I picked up And the Band Played On... (on the recommendation of my Dad) and ordered The River.

snooch
06-15-2010, 07:32 PM
Oh wow, that *is* weird!!! They changed it for the movie and I MUCH preferred the movie version over that, snooch.

That's very interesting.... I guess Peter Jackson thought it was as weird as I did, LOL.

Xinnamon
06-15-2010, 09:06 PM
Do audio books count? :)
I just picked up "From Jesus to Constantine: A History of Early Christianity" from the library.. I've been listening to it during my commute and likng it so far.

snooch
06-16-2010, 12:48 AM
Audio (and digital) books definitely count!

katzankatz
06-16-2010, 11:35 AM
City of Ember. It's my 12yod's book. Gott read those kids' book sometimes:)

snooch
06-16-2010, 12:11 PM
I adore children's lit and teen lit, Lucy!

katzankatz
06-16-2010, 12:58 PM
Me too. I almost like those books better.

Trashionista
06-20-2010, 05:06 PM
After reading the first chapter of Furious Love online (http://www.kobobooks.com/ebook/Furious-Love-Elizabeth-Taylor-Richard/book-vhRlXQQ9VkSSoKW1d2sliw/page1.html?utm_source=indigo&utm_medium=web&utm_campaign=retailer&ref=Search+Books%3a+%27furious+love%27), I'm hooked. Not surprising given it's about Elizabeth Taylor, but it's really dishy. Just some mindless entertainment for the summer.

But need to finish Medium Raw & And The Band Played On first.

GM
06-21-2010, 12:33 AM
I finished and really enjoyed THE HELP.

I'm currently reading LITTLE BEE

GM
06-26-2010, 11:37 PM
Finish LITTLE BEE and am left speechless. I've been talking about the book to DH to process it.

I started 3 cups of tea 2 years ago...put it down after 20 pages or so and am trying it again.

tiredwalker
06-27-2010, 11:23 AM
I read 3 Cups of Tea a few months ago and really liked it. It gave me a different perspective on the entire region. It's a worthwhile read.

I've put down Middlemarch again and took up Jane Slayre (Jane Eyre with vampires). I need a little entertainment.... "Reader, I buried him!"

ardeur
06-28-2010, 04:28 PM
Ok.... I confess. I just borrowed Twilight from our library. Shh! don't tell my husband! haha! ;-)

I wasn't interested in it until my reading buddy (co-worker) read it and recommended I read it. We'll see how it goes.

I'm on the waitinglist for Eat, Pray, Love and The Help.

I just finished reading all of the Anne of Green Gables and Little House books from my childhood. Talk about nostalgia.

I also picked up John Adams and some civil war history books.

snooch
06-29-2010, 11:49 AM
You're going to love Twilight. Get ready to lock yourself into a room until you've finished all four books :D

katzankatz
06-29-2010, 01:53 PM
Just finished City of Ember and ran out to buy book 2 in the series The People of Sparks. Really good series so far!

spiersdodgerblue
08-09-2010, 03:58 PM
Night by Elie Wiser

Read it years ago but found it free online. It is a short read, but a most powerful one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/9787474/Night-by-Elie-Wiser

GM
08-09-2010, 07:00 PM
I finished 3 Cups of Tea. Glad I read it :)

Currently reading The Art of Devotion.

Manna
08-09-2010, 07:06 PM
Taking a break from different research projects and enjoying being elbow-deep in some great fiction!

I'm reading Salem Falls by Jodi Picoult and Wuthering Heights by Emily Bronte

tiredwalker
08-09-2010, 08:45 PM
I went to the library today to pick out a book, but the stars didn't align right so I had to leave quickly with two wailing children...hmmmm. I'm going to borrow My Life in France by Julia Child from my sis for book club.

mina
08-09-2010, 09:27 PM
I'm reading the short stories of F. Scott Fitzgerald. "Bernice Bobs her Hair" may be one of the funniest stories i've ever read. I'd forgotten how much I liked him as a writer. No one has his style.

Trashionista
08-09-2010, 09:42 PM
Witness to AIDS, by Edwin Cameron. Heartbreaking. The anger jumps off the page.

tiredwalker
08-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Night by Elie Wiser

Read it years ago but found it free online. It is a short read, but a most powerful one.

This book changed my life. I picked it off of the shelf when I turned 12 and read the whole thing. Even though the vocab was a bit over my head, I still got the point of the story, and it haunted me. I grew up in a Jewish community and knew people who had been in the holocaust, but they protected my young mind from the horrors of it. The book let me know what those wonderful people had been put through, and I never looked at the world in the same way.

My first year teaching, I went straight to the principal and asked that he allow me to purchase 150 copies for the school and he let me. I taught it to my sophomores and they couldn't believe it wasn't fiction. Sadly, many of them didn't even know that this happened because they concentrated so much on the WWII aspect and not on the halocaust.

GM
08-10-2010, 01:56 AM
Night by Elie Wiser

I'll have to read this.

spiersdodgerblue
08-10-2010, 01:46 PM
This book changed my life. I picked it off of the shelf when I turned 12 and read the whole thing. Even though the vocab was a bit over my head, I still got the point of the story, and it haunted me. I grew up in a Jewish community and knew people who had been in the holocaust, but they protected my young mind from the horrors of it. The book let me know what those wonderful people had been put through, and I never looked at the world in the same way
I understand exactly about the change in ones life. I have studied the holocaust for years, I seemed to be drawn to it, but when I read this...........it just took me somewhere else. The depths of man's hate is unimaginable.

My first year teaching, I went straight to the principal and asked that he allow me to purchase 150 copies for the school and he let me. I taught it to my sophomores and they couldn't believe it wasn't fiction. Sadly, many of them didn't even know that this happened because they concentrated so much on the WWII aspect and not on the Holocaust.

This to me is awsome!!!!! The kids will remember that class and your passion.

~Kellee~
09-19-2010, 08:25 PM
I've been reading lots the past couple of weeks and have finished Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, The Help by Kathryn Stockett, and The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson.

I enjoyed Outlander and I plan on reading the next one but I had an issue with some of the sexual violence in it. I felt that at times the author was writing out her own fantasies and I didn't like that. I also had a really big issue with the portion of the book where she is beaten and her reaction to it.

The Help I wasn't all that impressed with it. Maybe I'm missing something but I expecting more out of it. I wasn't satisfied with the ending at all and something about what the author said at the end of it rubbed me the wrong way. I did really enjoy the 3 main characters though.

I loved The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and plan on reading the next one in the series. It started off really slowly but when it started picking up I couldn't put it down.

I'm going to the library tomorrow so hopefully I'll come home with some good ones.

katzankatz
09-19-2010, 10:56 PM
Just finished up the last of the Books of Ember, The Diamond of Darkhold. It's kids' lit, but I totally loved it!

Now I'm on to Johnny Tremain.

Trashionista
09-21-2010, 06:33 PM
Just Watch Me about Pierre Trudeau, in the period after Trudeaumania & Christopher Isherwood's A Single Man. Because I really want to see (and missed seeing) the movie (Tom Ford and Colin Firth!? Huzzah!) but want to read the book first...

Virginia
09-21-2010, 06:40 PM
I'm reading Gossamer by Lois Lowry. She has such an imagination!! I love The Giver Number the Stars, so I'm expecting big things from this book.

I'm into Young Adult fiction ;)

snooch
09-21-2010, 07:00 PM
I'm reading Gossamer by Lois Lowry. She has such an imagination!! I love The Giver Number the Stars, so I'm expecting big things from this book.

I'm into Young Adult fiction ;)

I adore teen/young adult lit. Thanks for the recommendations!

Xinnamon
09-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Home Buying for Dummies. :P

Virginia
09-22-2010, 06:08 AM
Finished Gossamer, which is interesting. I like the good vs. evil that runs throughout the book, and I love that it's kind of fantasy without being too weird. Good balance.

I just started Hangman's Curse by Frank Peretti (a FANTASTIC Christian author), and this is also young adult lit ;)

I'm already hooked because his first chapter got right into the action but is still leaving me wondering...

Another fabulous young adult series: Frank Peretti's "The Cooper Kids Adventure Series" :) It's about two teenage kids whose dad is an archeologist, so they go to all sorts of cool places... and always manage to find a mystery to solve. Awesome, awesome books with great messages and morals.

Moonkitty
09-22-2010, 08:04 AM
I'm currently reading Wicked by Gregory Maguire. I'm really enjoying it.

jelvenko
09-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Currently reading Shiloh. We have to read it for one of my classes, but it's a book I enjoy. :)

Manna
09-22-2010, 06:33 PM
I'm reading Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker. Just got it in the mail from Amazon...love, love, love him, so can't wait to really get into this one!

MsDahl
10-10-2010, 09:10 PM
So, for those who are familiar with the Grimm fairy tale The Fisherman and His Wife, can you explain to me why when the wife asked to be God, she arrived back at the pigsty?

MsDahl
10-10-2010, 09:11 PM
So, for my next book, I think I'm finally ready to tack A Boy Called It. I was already teary eyed just from reading the back cover. I have already borrowed it from the library but haven't exactly felt ready to sit down and read it yet. Soon though.

SUSIEJO
10-13-2010, 01:17 PM

I just started Bag of Bones. I'm up to about the 6th chapter, he just got the the lake cabin.
It's just there has been so much going on around here lately that I haven't had alot of reading time.

SUSIEJO
10-13-2010, 01:23 PM
You're going to love Twilight. Get ready to lock yourself into a room until you've finished all four books :D

I finished all 4 books in 6 days.
I really like the love story in them and they are a really easy read.

SUSIEJO
10-13-2010, 01:31 PM
So, for my next book, I think I'm finally ready to tack A Boy Called It. I was already teary eyed just from reading the back cover. I have already borrowed it from the library but haven't exactly felt ready to sit down and read it yet. Soon though.

Be ready to cry and to be angry, although anger isn't a strong enough word for what you'll feel.
There are several books in this series.

A Child Called It, The Lost Boy, A Man Named Dave

I read them all several years ago and have never forgotten them.

Virginia
10-13-2010, 03:45 PM
I started Breaking Dawn by Stephenie Meyer last night.

I can't believe I'm still reading this mushy junk ;) However, I must admit that I'm interested to find out what kind of trouble melodramatic Bella can get into now, despite Stephenie Meyer's deficiencies in skills are a writer and the "gag me" relationship between Bella and Edward (I'm SO Team Jacob).

The beginning of this book is pretty racy for preteens. I wouldn't let my sixth graders read it if I had a choice...

mina
10-13-2010, 06:05 PM
I am reading street GangWhich is the backstory of the creation of The Children's Television Workshop and the part that Jim Henson played. I used to want to work for them. I think they have strayed from the original vision though and it's less about educating children and more about being entertaining, hip , and edgy in a preschool sort of way. Which is unfortunate.

MsDahl
10-13-2010, 11:01 PM
Okay, I decided against reading the book. It was extremely graphic and there were some other issues regarding the story from what I researched that made me decide against it. Back to reading for work only for now.

Virginia
02-10-2011, 10:24 AM
I just finished the first two books in the young adult fiction Alex Rider series.
Stormbreaker and Point Blank were both really good, and I can see why a middle school kid would love reading them :)

I'm currently reading The Outsiders, and it's ok so far. I'm still not sure what the conflict in the book is yet, but once that's introduced, I'm sure I'll enjoy it ;)

GM
02-10-2011, 11:34 AM
I just read CRAZY LOVE by Frances Chan. Good book. SOme of it was hard to accept but looking back I agree with most of it even if I didn't want to agree with it :P

katzankatz
02-10-2011, 12:02 PM
^I've heard that's good^ *wondering what is hard to accept but still be convinced to agree with it. hmmm...*

As for me, I'm still plodding through Huckleberry Finn. I probably would have enjoyed it better when I was younger and liked fiction a lot more.

WanderingJuniper
02-10-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm reading Dune. I didn't realize there would be so much plotting and strategy in it. It is making my eyes glaze over.

snooch
02-10-2011, 08:12 PM
Virginia, I think once you get into the Outsiders, you'll love it. That's one of my favorite books.

I just started reading The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis) and I'm really enjoying it. He sure knew how to shine a light on Christians.

Trashionista
02-11-2011, 02:31 AM
For what seems like forever...

Life, by Keith Richards. Quite good. Lots of reviews claim it rambles and there's too much British slang (please, people! What do you expect?) but I'm enjoying it. Mr. Richards has clearly lived 6 or 7 lives in 1 - it's long, and I'm only a 1/3 of the way through.

And... The Sexual Outlaw, by John Rechy. More Queer lit. I'm nearly finished, and I'd already decided a chapter in Rechy > Larry Kramer.

Now, if profs would just stop assigning more readings...

Boudica
02-11-2011, 07:57 AM
This http://www.amazon.com/Winter-Garden-Kristin-Hannah/dp/0312364121 book was excellent! I'd recommend it to anyone!

Virginia
02-11-2011, 05:06 PM
I just finished The Outsiders, and it was ok. Hard for me to relate to, but I can see how it'd be a great book to teach in an inner city kid or a kid who grew up with violence.

I'm now reading Eats, Shoots, and Leaves:P

tiredwalker
02-12-2011, 10:20 PM
I just finished reading Cod. It was very interesting to see how a fish could change the world. Now I'm on to Salt.

ChildByGrace
02-13-2011, 06:42 PM
I've just started to read a book called Promse Me Tomorrow by Lori Wick. It's a Christian novel which I've already read about 5 times lol.

I am also kind of reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's quite hard going so I interspurse it with light reading.
I read way too much lol

Trashionista
02-13-2011, 07:39 PM
I am also kind of reading North and South by Elizabeth Gaskell. It's quite hard going so I interspurse it with light reading.
I read way too much lol

I love that book! Mary Barton by Gaskell is really good too.

On topic: The Fry Chronicles, by Stephen Fry.

MsDahl
02-13-2011, 08:07 PM
I'm still waiting on the 5th installment of the series I've been reading to come in at the library. I can't seem to move on with my reading until I finish this series!!

Virginia
02-14-2011, 10:27 AM
Virginia, I think once you get into the Outsiders, you'll love it. That's one of my favorite books.

I just started reading The Screwtape Letters (C.S. Lewis) and I'm really enjoying it. He sure knew how to shine a light on Christians.

It was pretty good! I always find myself so saddened by books like that because I know they are reality for other people.

The Screwtape Letters is one of my favorite works. C.S. Lewis is just BRILLIANT.

Well, I'm in the middle of The Chocolate War, but I realized that I've already read it, and it's due back to the library tomorrow... so I might abandon it and get some more books tomorrow :)

Xinnamon
03-04-2011, 02:16 AM
I just finished reading "Intern: A Doctor's Initiation" and I did not like it all that much.

My co-worker loaned me a copy of "Not a Genuine Black Man", an autobiography of her son's African-American friend growing up in San Leandro, CA.
I am excited to start reading.. I like books set in the Bay Area. :)

Trashionista
03-06-2011, 12:39 PM
The Men With the Pink Triangle. No wonder it's only 130-odd pages, any more and you'd be driven to depression. Absolutely heartbreaking, grotesque... but an important read.

Virginia
03-06-2011, 03:41 PM
I'm on the fifth book in the Alex Rider series- great series for middle-school aged kids, especially boys. My only complaint against Anthony Horowitz's writing is when he goes for pages and pages without any dialogue (it's a kid's book, so I feel like dialogue would help keep it more engaging). That, and he also says "yelled out" sometimes, which I find weird. "The bomb exploded. Alex yelled out." Something about it just sounds weird to me :P

But the series is great for getting reluctant preteen guys to read, imo :)

HalcyonFire
03-15-2011, 02:19 PM
Grimm's Fairy Tales (again)

these are either way more twisted than I remember or I was way less observant as a child

GM
03-15-2011, 02:29 PM
I'm in the middle of Me, Myself and Lies :)
I'm also planning on starting Incendiary by Chris Cleave

tiredwalker
03-15-2011, 03:34 PM
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. So far so good. It's the beginning of a series of detective stories in Botswana, very good.

katzankatz
03-15-2011, 05:18 PM
Mao's Last Dancer by Li Cunxin

katzankatz
03-15-2011, 05:19 PM
The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexander McCall Smith. So far so good. It's the beginning of a series of detective stories in Botswana, very good.My MIL loves these books! She's a big mystery fan.

tiredwalker
03-15-2011, 05:26 PM
I'm not a big mystery fan, but this (these) books are addictive!

MsDahl
03-15-2011, 05:31 PM
I'm STILL waiting for that book! It keeps showing up as "pending" on my library account and then it goes back to "waiting". I decided to give Outlander another try while I wait and it's gotten a bit slooowww for me again.

Moonkitty
03-15-2011, 06:40 PM
Just got a Kindle for V-day. I've been downloading lots! Re-read several of Jane Austen's books, a few trashy romance novels--I can get a lot of them for .99cents :P

I also got on my Kindle:
Charlotte Collins, A Continuation of Jane Austen's Pride and Prejudice--I usually do not like these continuations of Jane Austen's work, but I really enjoyed this one and would recommend it for other Jane Austen fans.

I Robot by Isaac Asimov--once again I am completely taken aback by Asimov's skill in interweaving social issues into science fiction.

Mistress of Rome by Kate Quinn. Not bad, but the author used a lot of modern day speech and that took away from some of the historical feel of the novel. But a fun read.

The Princess Bride: S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure (William Goldman). Hello, my name is Inigo Montoya, you killed my father; prepare to die. I've been having nice dreams about that sexy man ever since.

Anna Karenina. Rereading it for like the 10,234th time.

A New Order of Fishlike Amphibia from the Pennsylvanian of Kansas--did you know you can get some scientific dissertations on your kindle?

And

Choice of Broadsides--a choose your own adventure story for the kindle for fans of the British Navy cira 1780-1820. I'm currently a "Master and Commander" of my own 34 gun frigate. Ya'll know I'm a happy camper.

Xinnamon
03-15-2011, 09:56 PM
Grimm's Fairy Tales (again)

these are either way more twisted than I remember or I was way less observant as a child

I have the book and yes, the stories are definitely twisted. I think we get the watered-down versions as kids.

Xinnamon
03-15-2011, 09:57 PM
Just got a Kindle for V-day. I've been downloading lots! Re-read several of Jane Austen's books, a few trashy romance novels--I can get a lot of them for .99cents :P

A lot of the classics are free.. I got a few Jane Austen's books for free. :)

Trashionista
03-16-2011, 02:34 AM
The Gulag Archiepelago: Vol. I by Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

HalcyonFire
03-16-2011, 09:22 AM
I love my Kindle Moonkitty. Danny got me one for Christmas. :)
You can get illustrated books to read to kids (I do this for Randi).

MsDahl
03-24-2011, 08:31 PM
So, I finished Shadowfever the other night and I loved it. I have loved the journey with the characters, with Ireland, and with the fantasy aspect that Moning just has a knack for writing. I will miss them all...lol It's so interesting how ending the series brings a sense of closure to me, now I am able to move on to another book/series. Gah, I think I take books a little too seriously...haha So, I would like to, but can't, get into the Sookie Stackhouse series. I am also kinda of not moving forward in the Outlander book, though I was really getting into it for a while. I was considering trying The Hunger Games, sounds like it will appeal to my sci fi side. Need to figure out my next book!

~Kellee~
04-15-2011, 10:17 PM
I just finished Water for Elephants. I liked it, it wasn't anything spectacular but it was entertaining.

Dh got me a Nook for my birthday so I'm going to be reading a lot more. I'm bummed that our library system doesn't support the nook but oh well. My next book is Anna Karenina. I've gotten about halfway through it before so we'll see if I can finish it this time.

Virginia
04-15-2011, 10:34 PM
I'm halfway through The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn, and it's excellent so far. It's a nonfiction book that examines the role of homework in education and argues that it doesn't enhance learning... :)

judy02
04-16-2011, 06:26 AM
I'm halfway through The Homework Myth by Alfie Kohn, and it's excellent so far. It's a nonfiction book that examines the role of homework in education and argues that it doesn't enhance learning... :)

Sounds like an interesting and controversial book. What do you make of it? Personally I usually found myself to work best when studying independently (i.e. at home - homework) but I suppose people learn better in different ways.

Moonkitty
04-16-2011, 07:36 AM
Sounds like an interesting and controversial book. What do you make of it? Personally I usually found myself to work best when studying independently (i.e. at home - homework) but I suppose people learn better in different ways.

I'm like this as well. I enjoy and learn from a good lecture, but I learned most of my academic knowledge from self study. Esp. a subject like math--I learned the concept in the classroom, but I needed to practice the concept at home to remember it. So the homework was helpful. If I didn't do the homework, I would have forgotten the concept, and the steps needed to prove the concept--i.e. the algorithm.

judy02
04-16-2011, 07:59 AM
That's pretty much how I found homework to be helpful as well :) It's like in a workplace, with formal training you learn the rules, but it's with practice and trying something on your own you get more practice and learn better. That's my experience anyway. The theory is in the training or the classroom, the learning or practice is usually learnt independently.

Moonkitty
04-16-2011, 08:18 AM
That's pretty much how I found homework to be helpful as well :) It's like in a workplace, with formal training you learn the rules, but it's with practice and trying something on your own you get more practice and learn better. That's my experience anyway. The theory is in the training or the classroom, the learning or practice is usually learnt independently.

I think the problem for schools is that while there are people like us who learn best in this way, there are people who learn best by practicing with a group, i.e. corporative learning. Having to balance the two different type of learners is difficult.

MsDahl
04-16-2011, 08:51 AM
Oh my, I forgot to update, I'm on the 3rd book of The Hunger Games trilogy and it is really good! I highly recommend it to any sci-fi, apocalyptic interested readers. I am now eagerly awaiting the release of the first movie.

MsDahl
04-16-2011, 08:54 AM

Alfie Kohn is one of the authors I like :thumbsup: I read Unconditional Parenting and took a lot of valuable information away from his book (though I did have to filter it through what God's intention is for my family). I've been wanting to read Punished by Rewards by him.

Virginia
04-16-2011, 11:05 AM
I learn well either in a group OR on my own. The point Kohn makes is that we just accept homework as part of our educational system without questioning it. And we assign the same homework to all our students, usually. So, that means the student who "got it" during class STILL has to do 50 practice problems that night, and the student who didn't "get it" during class has to go home and try to navigate 50 practice problems when he/she has no idea what he/she is doing.

You could design instruction so that students could work independently IN class so you didn't have to send them home with hours of homework every night (this is what I've been doing with an English Honors class I'm teaching).

So far what I've gotten from the book is that the way we do homework now is ineffective. It takes away from family time. It doesn't enhance student learning. It makes students resentful of busy work.

I like it and have started letting it influence my teaching. I have talked openly with my students about it (two honors English classes and two AP English classes), and we've "debated" (in a friendly manner) the pros and cons of homework. It's been great to hear their perspectives and learn what kinds of out-of-class is beneficial and what kinds are not.

Sorry this is so long :P I really like the book so far and would recommend that every educator read it. Even if I don't do away with homework altogether (which I'm leaning towards right now), Kohn has DEFINITELY caused me to be more intentional about the homework I do assign.

Virginia
04-16-2011, 11:11 AM
I'm like this as well. I enjoy and learn from a good lecture, but I learned most of my academic knowledge from self study. Esp. a subject like math--I learned the concept in the classroom, but I needed to practice the concept at home to remember it. So the homework was helpful. If I didn't do the homework, I would have forgotten the concept, and the steps needed to prove the concept--i.e. the algorithm.
I needed lots of math practice, too. But... if I already didn't "get it" in class, then I spent HOURS (tearful hours) at home trying to teach it to myself, and it was miserable. Math was tough for me. If I DID get a concept, I needed to do some practice at home. But I didn't need to do 50 problems (which some teachers assign). I only needed a few different types of problems. Also, while you and I might need practice at home, there are some kids who just "get" math :P And they don't need practice, and having to DO those 50 problems is, frankly, a waste of time for them. So... I agree that practice is helpful. But I think that if students do need help outside of the classroom, the homework should be differentiated for them, kwim? :)
What if you didn't quite learn the rules in the classroom, though? What if you still had questions? Why can't you practice the concept in class? I guess those are some of the questions I have for teachers who assign nightly homework.

I think the problem for schools is that while there are people like us who learn best in this way, there are people who learn best by practicing with a group, i.e. corporative learning. Having to balance the two different type of learners is difficult.

Absolutely. All learners learn differently, and it's very tough to make sure ALL learners' needs are being met, especially in classes of 20-30 kids :( I try to give students options. "You may either scan this poem with a partner, or you may do it by yourself." "We can either read this story aloud in class together, or we can read it silently at the beginning of class." I try to mix it up, too, so that the "majority" isn't always "winning" and so that students try different types of learning. *shrug* It's a lot more work for me, but like you said... students learn differently. Our job is to teach all students. Therefore, we must try to teach differently... :)

judy02
04-16-2011, 11:27 AM
I suppose for me, I almost always manage to teach myself something I didn't quite understand in class in my own time anyway. If I read up on something and practiced enough, I understood it most of the time.

I used to hate it when schools/colleges would put on loads of revision sessions for exams. You didn't have to go, so it was ok. Some people I know felt the need to attend every single one, once it was preparation for exam time, I just wanted to be left alone to study :P

Different people learn in different ways I suppose. I personally learnt most during my own time, i.e. homework. I certainly never resented doing it, but found it imperative to my learning.

HalcyonFire
04-16-2011, 03:34 PM
Stiff: The Curious Lives of Human Cadavers - Mary Roach

This has turned out to be a really good book (I'm probably 5 chapters in). I was worried it would be irreverent but it's really not and it is still funny at the same time.

katzankatz
04-16-2011, 04:40 PM
Finished Maos' Last Dancer. Such an eye-opening book about life in communist China (true story), kind of rags-to-riches. I loved it.

Now I've picked up Son of Hamas (again). I'd put it down before because I was finding it read a little like a history textbook, but I'm giving it a secong go, seeing as how I really enjoy true-life stories. Maybe it will get more interesting.

Moonkitty
04-16-2011, 04:41 PM
I learn well either in a group OR on my own. The point Kohn makes is that we just accept homework as part of our educational system without questioning it. And we assign the same homework to all our students, usually. So, that means the student who "got it" during class STILL has to do 50 practice problems that night, and the student who didn't "get it" during class has to go home and try to navigate 50 practice problems when he/she has no idea what he/she is doing.

You could design instruction so that students could work independently IN class so you didn't have to send them home with hours of homework every night (this is what I've been doing with an English Honors class I'm teaching).

So far what I've gotten from the book is that the way we do homework now is ineffective. It takes away from family time. It doesn't enhance student learning. It makes students resentful of busy work.

I like it and have started letting it influence my teaching. I have talked openly with my students about it (two honors English classes and two AP English classes), and we've "debated" (in a friendly manner) the pros and cons of homework. It's been great to hear their perspectives and learn what kinds of out-of-class is beneficial and what kinds are not.

Sorry this is so long :P I really like the book so far and would recommend that every educator read it. Even if I don't do away with homework altogether (which I'm leaning towards right now), Kohn has DEFINITELY caused me to be more intentional about the homework I do assign.

Oh I agree completely that a lot of homework given to students is pointless. And I hate it when math teachers see that a kid tried to do the math homework, but penalizes them for wrong problems--I think credit should be given when they tried to do it, but had trouble understanding the concept, but at least made the attempt.

While I believe some homework is needed, teachers should always be thinking about what they are asking the student to do. I also wish teachers would give students longer to complete homework assignments. Sometimes a family needs more time to work on a project, or even with something as simple as a math worksheet--maybe mom and dad had to work late and could not help the student with it, or maybe the parent does not understand it either and the student needs more time to find help. So often teachers do not always consider these things when assigning work.

Virginia
04-16-2011, 05:25 PM
Started another Mary Higgins Clark book last night (Where Are You Now?)
Also started Playful Parenting.

Manna
04-16-2011, 05:48 PM
Just finished Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker. I really liked it!! I'm now about halfway through House Rules by Jodi Picoult.

snooch
04-16-2011, 09:06 PM
Started another Mary Higgins Clark book last night (Where Are You Now?)

:thumbsup:

snooch
04-16-2011, 09:07 PM
I'm now about halfway through House Rules by Jodi Picoult.

How do you like her? I know a lot of people who have read her books, but I never have. I just started watching a Lifetime movie based on one of her books and it's making me interested in picking her up.

Xinnamon
04-16-2011, 11:46 PM
The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind by Alison Gopnik, Andrew N. Meltzoff , and Patricia K. Kuhl. It's a book that my professor recommended a long time ago but I never got around to reading.

Xinnamon
04-16-2011, 11:47 PM
Just finished Immanuel's Veins by Ted Dekker. I really liked it!!

I have been thinking about reading it but it looks scary. :)

judy02
04-17-2011, 04:11 AM
The Scientist in the Crib: What Early Learning Tells Us About the Mind by Alison Gopnik, Andrew N. Meltzoff , and Patricia K. Kuhl. It's a book that my professor recommended a long time ago but I never got around to reading.

That sounds interesting :) Let me know if it's worth me getting it ;)

Xinnamon
04-17-2011, 04:40 AM
Will do! :)

Manna
04-17-2011, 08:41 AM
How do you like her? I know a lot of people who have read her books, but I never have. I just started watching a Lifetime movie based on one of her books and it's making me interested in picking her up.

I really like her! I turn to her books when I want to think. She's a good author, but it's not necessarily an intellectual read. Rather, she tackles some pretty controversial topics that really make you take a look at your beliefs and what you stand for. Be warned, though, she likes to gut-punch you on the last couple pages, lol!

Her topics are pretty intense for the most part. I started with Nineteen Minutes and was hooked!

Manna
04-17-2011, 08:43 AM
I have been thinking about reading it but it looks scary. :)

Oh, it's incredibly creepy!! But an amazing picture of the Redemption of sin by Christ.

judy02
04-17-2011, 10:00 AM
I really like her! I turn to her books when I want to think. She's a good author, but it's not necessarily an intellectual read. Rather, she tackles some pretty controversial topics that really make you take a look at your beliefs and what you stand for. Be warned, though, she likes to gut-punch you on the last couple pages, lol!

Her topics are pretty intense for the most part. I started with Nineteen Minutes and was hooked!

The Pact by Jodi Picoult is my favourite one by her so far :) I read that in a book club a couple of years ago, and have enjoyed her novels ever since. Although some I like better than others. She definetely makes you think which is not a bad thing.

I've still got to finish My Sister's Keeper. I've seen the film but I know the book is quite different.

Manna
04-17-2011, 02:50 PM
I liked The Pact also...it's stuck with me as if I read it yesterday. The book of My Sister's Keeper is very different from the movie, and as is typical, I definitely prefer the book!

snooch
04-17-2011, 06:00 PM
The Pact by Jodi Picoult is my favourite one by her so far :) I read that in a book club a couple of years ago, and have enjoyed her novels ever since. Although some I like better than others. She definetely makes you think which is not a bad thing.

I've still got to finish My Sister's Keeper. I've seen the film but I know the book is quite different.

I liked The Pact also...it's stuck with me as if I read it yesterday. The book of My Sister's Keeper is very different from the movie, and as is typical, I definitely prefer the book!

The Pact is the Lifetime movie I'm almost finished watching :D Thanks for the recommendation, I think I'm going to add her to my list :)

MsDahl
04-20-2011, 09:02 PM
Well, I finished The Hunger Games trilogy in just about 2 weeks (would have been sooner had I not had to wait for the second book to come in at the library). So good!

Now I'm reading Sybil - I'm already a third of the way through the book.

MsDahl
04-20-2011, 09:09 PM

That looks good, Xin. I checked out the reviews on Amazon, it sounds interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a book that pushed for early introduction of academics but it seems to be more of a discussion on the intricacies of what's going on inside the infant as he/she develops. If you like that, perhaps you would be interested in this book: What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life (http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Going-There-Brain-Develop/dp/0553378252). I really liked this book and found it very informative.

Trashionista
04-20-2011, 09:26 PM
Now I'm reading Sybil - I'm already a third of the way through the book.

That's a really interesting book! Quite disconcerting, but very gripping and interesting!

Right now: L'itineraire d'un triangle rose, by Rudolf Brazda.

~Kellee~
04-24-2011, 07:39 PM
I'm reading Love Wins by Rob Bell. He has some interesting points but I'm reserving judgement till I'm finished.

Xinnamon
04-25-2011, 01:10 AM
That looks good, Xin. I checked out the reviews on Amazon, it sounds interesting. I wasn't sure if it was a book that pushed for early introduction of academics but it seems to be more of a discussion on the intricacies of what's going on inside the infant as he/she develops. If you like that, perhaps you would be interested in this book: What's Going on in There? : How the Brain and Mind Develop in the First Five Years of Life (http://www.amazon.com/Whats-Going-There-Brain-Develop/dp/0553378252). I really liked this book and found it very informative.

I'm still in the early chapters but you are right, it talks about the research that explores babies' perception of the world and their developing brains. It's not a "how to" book nor is it a push for any kind of parenting style at all. :)

Thanks for the recommendation.. it sounds interesting and I'll put it on my Amazon wish list. :)

Manna
04-25-2011, 10:06 AM
Right now I'm reading Elizabeth Berg's latest, Once Upon a Time, There was You. I'm liking it so far!

MsDahl
04-25-2011, 09:39 PM
That's a really interesting book! Quite disconcerting, but very gripping and interesting!

It is a great read. I watched the movie as a child and the character was absolutely frightening to me, but now that I'm reading her story, I feel so sad for what she had to go through.

Kelly
05-05-2011, 11:09 PM
I've been reading "Handle with Care" by Jodi Picoult now for awhile, I haven't had much time for reading lately, but I'm about half done or so... hope to finish up soon. It is the first one of her books I've read.

Virginia
05-05-2011, 11:11 PM
I'm struggling through Jane Eyre. I find the plot boring and the protagonist hard to connect to, but the language is beautiful and sophisticated.

Finished The Homework Myth and blogged about it. Excellent must-read for anyone in education, imo.

snooch
11-08-2011, 08:15 PM
I'm resurrecting this thread :D because I just (finally!) started reading Jodi Picoult's Nineteen Minutes. I'm not very far into it yet, but I already love it. :D

Manna
11-08-2011, 09:12 PM
Yay!!! We've converted you!!

Thank you for bringing this thread back up, I love it!

I'm reading The Scarlet Letter right now for a book club. My high school lit teachers were less than stellar, so this is the first time I've ever read it! =)

mina
11-08-2011, 09:40 PM
I am reading Anna Karenina.

katzankatz
11-08-2011, 11:45 PM
I'm reading the 3rd book in the Hunger Games series. Great story, but I think the fact that it is sci-fi is becoming more of an issue (not my favorite genre at all), so this one is plodding...slowly... Weird though, I still want to know how it ends and look forward to the movie next year.

Also reading You Can Do This Diet. It has a lot of the science/chemistry behind weight gain and loss, and I do not want to go into weight loss all willy-nilly!

GM
11-08-2011, 11:52 PM
My phone manual :/

snooch
11-09-2011, 12:26 AM
My phone manual :/

Also Google your phone model and you will find a wealth of information and tips. You'll even find YouTube tutorials that walk you through basic features. And I bet you have a friend who might be able to help too :P

snooch
11-09-2011, 12:27 AM
Lucy I bought the first book in the Hunger Games series because it was highly recommended by someone whose book-tastes I trust. I love sci-fi in general. :)

rvshdw
11-09-2011, 01:07 AM
Hi Msdahl
I haven't read the book, but been wanting to get myself into a good
book for a while. Ya know one of them hard to put down ones, sit
in a comfy chair and just get lost in. :)
Blessings.

jelvenko
11-09-2011, 07:49 AM
Right now the book I am reading (when I need a break from textbooks and homework) is Gulliver's Travels. I'm about half done with it already. It's just one of those classic books everyone knows about but few have actually ever read, so I picked up a copy for myself off the clearance rack at Books-A-Million so I could read it. :)

I also just got done reading Silverwing a couple of weeks ago. It's a chapter book that my 5th graders are reading for class and I read it so I would understand the discussions about it. I'm glad I read it too because yesterday I was able to lead out in an activity where I did a venn diagram with the kids comparing and contrasting the two main characters in the book. (Its a story about a bat who gets separated from his colony during their annual winter migration and his journey to find his colony. There's also an underlying story of how the bats got banished from the day time and how they are wanting to take on the owls to gain back the right to be out in the sun.) It's part of a 3 book series, and I plan on getting the other two from the library once this semester is done so I can read them as well. :)

~Kellee~
01-09-2012, 07:21 AM
I'm currently reading Bossypants by Tina Fey and I'm completely underwhelmed by it but I'll still finish it. I don't usually go for books like that but I heard a lot of good things about it. Oh well.

When that is done I'll be reading Erasing Hell by Francis Chan

LoriDee
01-09-2012, 11:25 AM

Wow what a concidence! I just downloaded this first book on my Kindle. A good friend recommended it. I'm really starting to get into it, but I just got it Saturday and worked a long weekend so haven't beem able to read much.

snooch
01-09-2012, 11:32 AM
I finally started reading The Help. Unfortunately, I saw the movie first, and found it unsettling and disturbing (though good) so I'm now having some trouble getting deep into the book.

mina
01-09-2012, 11:40 AM
I just finished Anna Karenina; it was a long but good read.

LoriDee
01-09-2012, 12:08 PM
Oh my, I thought this was a new thread and quoted the first page. Haha I am on my phone and obviously not reading clearly. Oops

LoriDee
01-09-2012, 12:09 PM
I just finished Anna Karenina; it was a long but good read.

Very impressive! :)

snooch
01-09-2012, 12:29 PM
Oh my, I thought this was a new thread and quoted the first page. Haha I am on my phone and obviously not reading clearly. Oops

I love when this thread gets revived :)

littlemrs
01-09-2012, 02:43 PM
I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. Loved them! I couldn't put them down!

MsDahl
01-09-2012, 09:27 PM

Me too! I always forget to come update.

I just finished reading The Hunger Games trilogy. Loved them! I couldn't put them down!

I loved them myself....can NOT wait for the movies! I nearly cried from the trailer.

I just finished two books: Thriving in the 21st Century (such a good book for helping our children to not only handle the future economy but to thrive in it) and Eat to Live.

littlemrs
01-10-2012, 01:03 AM
I loved them myself....can NOT wait for the movies! I nearly cried from the trailer.

I just finished two books: Thriving in the 21st Century (such a good book for helping our children to not only handle the future economy but to thrive in it) and Eat to Live.

I can't wait for the movie! I actually read the books because I saw the trailer for the movie before Breaking Dawn and was intrigued. I wanted to cry when I finished reading the last book because I just didn't want it to end!

katzankatz
01-10-2012, 09:45 AM
I can't wait for the movie! I actually read the books because I saw the trailer for the movie before Breaking Dawn and was intrigued. I wanted to cry when I finished reading the last book because I just didn't want it to end!

I'm excited about the movie too. Did you like the ending of the series? I thought it was great.

Manna
01-10-2012, 11:23 AM

Me too!!

I've been on a reading kick lately. I'm not myself if I'm not reading, so I'm putting more of a priority on MAKING time to read. I've got a few books going right now.

For the book club I'm in, we read one classic and one contemporary novel a month. This month we're reading Persuasion by Jane Austen and 44 by Jools Sinclair (I know nothing about this one yet, I haven't even read the description; so don't take my mentioning it as my recommending it! lol)

I'm also reading Becoming Fearless by Michelle Aguilar. She's the winner of season 6 of the Biggest Loser, and is a Christian. The book talks about her life and how she learned to truly trust God. This is something that I am currently struggling with, so I'm devouring the book!

And for my "light" reading, I'm working through Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum series. Someone suggested I read the first, and now I'm hooked! They're not Christian by any means, she's got a mouth on her, and there's a bit of sexual content. But they're a light read, a fun mystery, and they're hilarious!

snooch
01-10-2012, 11:40 AM
And for my "light" reading, I'm working through Janet Evanovitch's Stephanie Plum series. Someone suggested I read the first, and now I'm hooked! They're not Christian by any means, she's got a mouth on her, and there's a bit of sexual content. But they're a light read, a fun mystery, and they're hilarious!

My husband has read these up through 16 or 17 I think. He said the beginning books were great, very funny, good mysteries, light and easy reading, and really enjoyed them. Apparently though, after maybe 6 or 7, them become a little formulaic, still fun, but not fresh. He isn't picking up the last two because he feels like he'll already have read them in the previous books :P So my point is enjoy them until you don't anymore :D

Manna
01-10-2012, 11:51 AM
Haha, my thoughts were along the same lines. I mean...18?! And more to come, apparently? When I get bored with them, I'll stop reading. Life is too short for bad books!! =P

Boudica
01-12-2012, 12:42 PM
I'm reading Voyager, which is the third book in the Outlanders series. They're good. I bought my husband the first one (on his kindle) for Christmas and now we're reading them together.

mina
01-16-2012, 09:30 AM
I read two books during this weekends travels.....
1. The House at Tyneford. It was very good, but a bit similar and of the same premise as another book by a different author that I have read before.
2. The first book of the Hunger games- I was prepared not to like it as it came recommended to me by staunch Twilight fans. But, it was really quite captivating and I like that the heroine is a strong character. It reminds me of a cross of 1984 and the Pretties/Uglies series. I will probably get the 2nd and 3rd book for free when I redeem my swagbuck points for amazon giftcards.

snooch
01-16-2012, 11:50 AM
We celebrated our anniversary this weekend with a big B&N trip. We'd gotten gift cards for Christmas and had membership coupons to use, so we spent $70 and got over $150 worth of books :D

I'm currently reading The Help, and struggling through it because I unfortunately saw the movie first and, knowing what happens, I'm avoiding getting there again through the book.

Everyone I know has been recommending The Hunger Games, and I definitely want to have it read before the movie comes out in March. So that's next up on my list :)

It reminds me of a cross of 1984 and the Pretties/Uglies series.

You're the only other person I know who has read the Uglies series!! That was an intriguing story as far as the social commentary went.

mina
01-16-2012, 12:05 PM
I LOVED the Uglies! but yeah The Hunger Games strongly remind me of that series. The main female leads in each book are very similar. The Hunger Games is good in it's own right though. I was captivated on every page! The author lists 1984 as one of her favorite books so I think she pulls alot from different stories but is able to completely create her own. It's like she takes all these similar stories and weaves their influence into a facinating new story. :) I am salivating to get the next 2 books! I never wanted the Pretties/Uglies series to end and this is letting me venture into that world again!

snooch
01-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Now I'm excited to hurry up and get through The Help so I can start it :D

Sage
01-16-2012, 12:37 PM
I'm reading It's All Too Much by Peter Walsh. It's a decluttering/organizing your home book. So far I really recommend it!

~Kellee~
01-16-2012, 05:02 PM
I just finished Erasing Hell. It was VERY good and I strongly recommend it, it has left me a lot to think and pray about.

Little Women is next on my list.

GM
01-16-2012, 06:37 PM
<SNIP>
Everyone I know has been recommending The Hunger Games, and I definitely want to have it read before the movie comes out in March. So that's next up on my list :)<snip>

Lots of moms around me are reading/have read THE HUNGER GAMES...The 4th graders and some 5th graders are currently reading it to (not required reading, it's just the talk of the 4th grade class :D )

I just finished Erasing Hell. It was VERY good and I strongly recommend it, it has left me a lot to think and pray about.

Little Women is next on my list.

I LOVE Francis Chan and have the book. I haven't started it yet (planned to last Oct) but really need to :)

jelvenko
01-16-2012, 06:55 PM
Hunger Games is an excellent book! I need to make a trip to the library one of these days and get the other two books in the series so I can read the rest of it. But if they're as good as the first one, I know I'll enjoy it. :D I'm really excited for the movie. When I first read the book, I told my roomie (who loaned it to me in the first place) that it would make a great movie. So I'm not surprised they're doing one on it. Its going to be interesting to see how far they deviate from the book, or if its going to be like Lion Witch and the Wardrobe and stay fairly accurate in the details. (In that movie they only changed a couple of things from the book, and if you watch the directors commentary he explains why he changed those few details.)

Right now I'm not currently reading anything. I'm back in school, so that's keeping me busy at the moment. I think that tomorrow on my way home I'm going to stop by the library and see if they have Catching Fire and The Mocking Jay available. (Or I can check online tonight and save the trip...) If they do, then I'm definitely getting them to read! :D

~Kellee~
01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
I LOVE Francis Chan and have the book. I haven't started it yet (planned to last Oct) but really need to :)

This is the first one I have read by him and I plan on reading more. Have you read Crazy Love? I've had it forever but never read it for some reason.

Virginia
01-16-2012, 07:45 PM
Hunger Games series = AMAZING!
I'm in the middle of Water For Elephants and Bossypants.
I'm having so much trouble getting into WFE :box:
Bossypants is pretty funny, but so far, not as funny as I anticipated.
I am also trying to make it through Look Me In The Eye- it's pretty good, but it's like a collection of short stories.

Maybe I should just finish one of them ;)

~Kellee~
01-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Hunger Games series = AMAZING!
I'm in the middle of Water For Elephants and Bossypants.
I'm having so much trouble getting into WFE :box:
Bossypants is pretty funny, but so far, not as funny as I anticipated.
I am also trying to make it through Look Me In The Eye- it's pretty good, but it's like a collection of short stories.

Maybe I should just finish one of them ;)

I read Water for Elephants and thought it was just meh. I read it in about a day but I wasn't thrilled about the characters or anything, it was just good fluff.

littlemrs
01-16-2012, 08:38 PM
I just finished the first book of The Vampire Diaries and am getting ready to start the second. It's okay, not my favorite books at all, and really different from the TV show which is what made me want to read it in the first place.

I'll probably read Water for Elephants next.

~Kellee~
01-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Along with Little Women I just started The Year of Living Biblically by A.J Jacobs

I LOVE that I am finally back on a reading kick. I have a goal of 100 books this year so hopefully it sticks around for awhile.

katzankatz
01-18-2012, 10:31 PM
^wow, 100 books sounds ambitious!^ (says the girl who takes a whole month to read a book...)

Just finished The Color of Rain. 'Twas pretty good, but emotionally draining! Now I'm back into the Yada Yada Prayer Group series, book 5, on my Kindle. That's some Christian fiction I actually like.

jelvenko
01-18-2012, 10:37 PM
I read Stone Soup this evening. Its going to be the read-aloud that I'm doing with the kids tomorrow morning, and I always like to read the books ahead of time so if there are any words I don't know I can figure them out and not be stumbling over them while reading to the kids. (Which has happened before, surprisingly it happened to me in a kindergarten room!)

tiredwalker
01-19-2012, 03:37 PM
I just read The Good Earth because I felt like I should have read it many, many years ago. It was fabulous. Tonight is my night out and I'm bound and determined to find something fabulous.

I also read 4 novels by Lisa See, and they were FABULOUS! Peonie in Love was so great. Half the novel is done from the perspective of a someone's spirit in the after world (according to Chinese belief in the 15th century). It was so interesting to see what they believed, how they placed it into action in life, and how it played out after death. It's sort of like hearing about a Christian's beliefs about heaven from heaven and see where they were correct and incorrect in their thoughts. Very interesting.

littlemrs
01-20-2012, 02:34 AM
So I was off work today and laid around the house all day instead of cleaning like I SHOULD have done, but I read Water for Elephants from start to finish. I really liked it! It was a good, quick read.

I've been reading like a maniac since I got my Kindle Fire for Christmas. I go through stages where I read lots and then stages where I don't even think of picking up a book for weeks or months. Right now is definitely one of those "reading lots" stages, and I'm loving it!

There are so many books I want to read, but I'm not sure which one to go with next. I finished the second book of The Vampire Diaries the other night, but I'm not sure I want to finish out the series because I didn't care too much for the first two.

~Kellee~
01-24-2012, 06:40 AM
Not having a computer has really given me a lot of time for reading. Ive read 3 books this week and i'm almost done with my fourth. I've read:

The year of Living Biblically by A.J Jacobs- I really enjoyed this book. Its not written by a Christian author but it was a very interestinf read

Middlesex by Jeffrey Eugenides- This one was just okay. I thought the ending was too neat and the character development was lacking

Cain River by Lalita Tademy- A very good book

And im currently reading Bel Canto by Ann Patchett- Im not finishes with it yet but it's really a beautiful book

Trashionista
01-25-2012, 06:32 AM
Half-Blood Blues.

BelovedDaughter
01-25-2012, 08:31 AM
I'm currently reading Burned, one of the House of Night novels. It's taken me quite some time to get as far as I have in it.

~Kellee~
01-25-2012, 10:44 PM
I finished Bel Canto. I enjoyed it but I thought the epilogue at the end was completely pointless and it made not like the book as much.

I'm currently reading One Hundred Years of Solitude by Gabriel Garcia Marquez and about halfway through. Has anyone else read this book?

Xinnamon
01-26-2012, 12:08 AM
I just read The Good Earth because I felt like I should have read it many, many years ago. It was fabulous. Tonight is my night out and I'm bound and determined to find something fabulous.

I also read 4 novels by Lisa See, and they were FABULOUS! Peonie in Love was so great. Half the novel is done from the perspective of a someone's spirit in the after world (according to Chinese belief in the 15th century). It was so interesting to see what they believed, how they placed it into action in life, and how it played out after death. It's sort of like hearing about a Christian's beliefs about heaven from heaven and see where they were correct and incorrect in their thoughts. Very interesting.

I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See a while back. :) I liked it but wouldn't say I loved it. I should check out Peony in Love.

~Kellee~
02-01-2012, 08:32 PM
I finished One Hundred Years of Solitude. I spent much of the book confused because all the characters essentially had the same name lol. I did enjoy it though. The last chapter was just perfect.

I also read The Psychopath Test. It was non fiction but it was a good read. Though a bit unsettling.

I read 11/22/63 by Stephen King and oh my goodness was it fantastic. It was definitely my favorite of his. I couldn't put it down.

I read a book called Paper Towns by John Green who is a young adult author. It was a good quick read but I did find it a little too angsty for my tastes.

I just started Freedom by Jonathan Franzen. I'm only a couple of chapters in so I don't have much of an opinion on it yet.

MsDahl
02-01-2012, 08:35 PM
I just finished the first book of The Vampire Diaries and am getting ready to start the second. It's okay, not my favorite books at all, and really different from the TV show which is what made me want to read it in the first place.

I'll probably read Water for Elephants next.

littlemrs, I felt the same way about the books, sooo different. I think watching the movie/show first spoils it for me! I have tried to get into the True Blood books but I can't after watching the series.

GM
02-01-2012, 10:32 PM
started hunger games today

~Kellee~
02-03-2012, 03:20 PM
I got about a third of the way through Freedom before I gave up. I was bored to death and hated the characters. I don't like reading a bOok where I want the characters to fail.

mina
02-03-2012, 04:02 PM
started hunger games today

I ordered the 2nd and 3rd books. They are supposed to get here tomorrow! I can't wait!

mina
02-05-2012, 02:57 PM
I just finished book 2 of the Hunger Games: Catching Fire. People, it seems, either love this one or hate it. While I enjoyed reading it and read it straight through, it was a little more "silly" than the first book- which was very intense and somber at times. It was like the author threw in some extra characters and romances to cater to the audience more. It was a good read and I enjoyed the furtherment of the story; there were some topics and characters that I felt could have been expanded and explored more but were just left flat. I love the character Prim; but she is just sort of in the background in this book; she was there to pop in and out and seemed almost aloof. In the first book. her absence for most of the book is understandable , but in this one she is present for over half of the book and just never does anything of any interest. On to book three!

littlemrs
02-05-2012, 03:24 PM
I read 11/22/63 by Stephen King and oh my goodness was it fantastic. It was definitely my favorite of his. I couldn't put it down.

Ooh, this is a book I want to read SO much. I've never read anything by Stephen King, but the summary of this one sounds amazing.

littlemrs, I felt the same way about the books, sooo different. I think watching the movie/show first spoils it for me! I have tried to get into the True Blood books but I can't after watching the series.

I usually do try to read the book before I watch the movie or show. I was really surprised at how different TVD books and show were. I really like the True Blood books. I've watched one episode of the series and it seems totally different! I think I'll finish reading all the books before I watch more of the show.

Virginia
02-05-2012, 03:27 PM
The first Hunger Games book was, imo, the best one, though I really liked that Catching Fire moved quickly. And the ending of Mockingjay made my jaw drop to the floor- I kept flipping back thinking I'd missed something! :)

I recently read Before I Fall, which was a young adult book about a girl who's killed in a car crash but keeps reliving the day she died for seven days. It's probably a good read for teenage girls. I found it a bit cheesy and hard to buy into, but I appreciated what the author was trying to do.

Still trudging through Bossypants by Tina Fey, which has been surprisingly disappointing, and Look Me In The Eye, an autobiography of sorts by a man with Asperger's syndrome. I'm finding that hard to finish simply because it's a collection of short stories, so I can put it down and keep coming back to it and not feel like I've missed much ;)

Oh, and I read Jodi Picoult's House Rules and LOVED it :)

jelvenko
02-05-2012, 05:50 PM
I ordered the 2nd and 3rd books. They are supposed to get here tomorrow! I can't wait!

Can I borrow them? :D I have yet to read books 2 and 3 in the series! And I don't want to wait 6 months before I can get it from the library. I found the boxset of all 3 books at Sam's Club (all hardcover) for $33, but DH didn't let me get it. :( So now just need to figure out how to get my hands on them!

tiredwalker
02-05-2012, 08:01 PM
I read Snow Flower and the Secret Fan by Lisa See a while back. :) I liked it but wouldn't say I loved it. I should check out Peony in Love.

Just saw this. SFATSF wasn't my favorite one of them. PIL was a little slow at first, but it gets so interesting. My favorite was Shanghai Girls and the sequel Dreams of Joy. The two were very gripping in terms of the story and shear humanity. They were great.

snooch
02-05-2012, 11:50 PM
I FINALLY finished The Help. That book was really hard for me to read, and it reinforced to me that I need to never break my rule of reading a book *before* seeing the movie. I liked it, but I'm honestly glad I'm done with it :/

I started reading the first Hunger Games today. I'm 30 pages in and it's already made me cry twice, LOL.

Ooh, this is a book I want to read SO much. I've never read anything by Stephen King, but the summary of this one sounds amazing.

I've seen nothing but great reviews for this! It's high on my list of "next to read" books :D If you've never read him before, be prepared for a lot of language and gruesomeness - it's typical for his books, though they ar excellent reads.

mina
02-06-2012, 12:06 AM
Can I borrow them? :D I have yet to read books 2 and 3 in the series! And I don't want to wait 6 months before I can get it from the library. I found the boxset of all 3 books at Sam's Club (all hardcover) for $33, but DH didn't let me get it. :( So now just need to figure out how to get my hands on them!

If I was closer to you I would definitely lend them! I got mine free by redeeming my swagbucks for amazon gift cards.
I just finished the 3rd one tonight! Wow! It was an intense read! I had several senarios running through my imagination for the ending and while it wasn't totally predictable there were certain things I had guessed. I wish that there had been more character development of some of the characters other than the main three. But overall, I'm happy with the series and I can't wait for the first movie!

I think next I'll read "To Kill a Mockingbird" and then watch the movie b/c it's the 50th anniversary of the film.

~Kellee~
02-06-2012, 09:21 AM
I've seen nothing but great reviews for this! It's high on my list of "next to read" books :D If you've never read him before, be prepared for a lot of language and gruesomeness - it's typical for his books, though they ar excellent reads.

It really is very good. I could not put it down. It does have some gruesome parts but as far as Stephen King goes it was pretty mild.

I read 3 books this weekend. I read Run by Anne Patchett, the second Hunger Games (which I enjoyed more that the first one), and a book called Cain by Jose Saramago. His writing style definitely took some getting used to, he doesn't really use much punctuation or paragraph breaks, but once I got in the groove of the book it wasa quick read. I didn't agree with the way he portrayed God but it was a very good book.

Ive finished 14 books so far this year so if this keeps up I will definitely reach my goal. I'm going to be starting Swamplandia! by Karen Russell today.

snooch
02-06-2012, 12:53 PM
I wish I could read as fast as you Kellee!

~Kellee~
02-06-2012, 08:36 PM
I wish I could read as fast as you Kellee!

Lol, a good amount of the books I have read have been either short or fairly fluffy. Also not having a computer has freed up a lot of my time. I hadn't realized how much time I was wasting on it.

snooch
02-06-2012, 11:08 PM
Lol, a good amount of the books I have read have been either short or fairly fluffy. Also not having a computer has freed up a lot of my time. I hadn't realized how much time I was wasting on it.

I've found the same to be so true for me. When I was struggling to finish The Help, I was actively looking for ways to free up some time so I could read more. I never seemed to have enough hours in the day. Then I got sick for a couple of weeks and kept retreating to my bed to rest and read, and gee.... when I wasn't wasting so much time online, I finally made some real progress in my book. Lesson learned :P

katzankatz
02-07-2012, 02:39 AM
I'm in the 7th and final book of the Yada Yada Prayer Group. All in all, not bad for Christian fiction. It reads a lot like a soap opera, so if you like those kinds of books, I'd recommend these.

mina
02-07-2012, 10:28 AM
I can't find my to Kill a Mockingbird so I'm going to read my collection of the chronicles of Narnia.

LoriDee
02-08-2012, 12:16 PM
I finally finished Outlander on my Kindle, and I'm going to buy the 2nd book this weekend. Going to take a break and read Ameritopia by Mark Levin first.

I really cannot decide if I want to read the Hunger games series. Is it really very good or is it teenage-y?