PDA

View Full Version : Random spiritual thoughts

Pages : [1] 2

Virginia
10-23-2010, 03:03 PM
I know we have a "Random Thoughts" thread, but I thought it might be neat to have a place specifically for spiritual musings, questions, reflections, etc. :)

*Not to be a place of debate but of sharing*

I'll start...

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupting talk come out of your mouths, but only such as is good for building up, as fits the occasion, that it may give grace to those who hear.

This is so hard to put into practice!!

Virginia
10-24-2010, 12:14 PM
I missed going to church today :( DH was/is sick :(

But I had a nice devotional time complete with some worship music.

"For your unfailing love is as high as the heavens. Your faithfulness reaches to the clouds."
Psalm 57:10

Sam
10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
Great idea! My random spiritual thought is:
The other day I was driving and listening to Greg Laurie's radio program was coming on and it was going to be about "stuff" and our pursuit of "stuff" and how it can be really unhealthy. Well I passed a storage company I used for 2 years and just happened to look at their sign at that moment and it said "got stuff?" LOL I totally took that as a little joke from God. I think he does that alot but we are just too busy to see. :)

KarrieMarie08
10-24-2010, 01:44 PM
I missed to church this morning also had stayed up most of the night last night with a problem and was little ill and my shoulder and neck has a kink in it. So I watched the service online a bit with the visit pastor. Things are looking up in my spiritual life.

MsDahl
10-24-2010, 03:07 PM
Today I discovered that I am actually teaching children about God....haha I mean, I know I am a teacher by trade and I teach my own child about God and other religious things, but I wasn't sure if I was going to be able to teach kids about God. Well they remembered why we use three fingers together to do the sign of the Cross!! woo-hoo And the kindy kids are so well behaved when getting communion, they behave better than the teenagers do!

Christina
10-24-2010, 03:35 PM
Aww that's great MsD! Sorry you other gals had to miss church today :( Hope you get the chance to go next week!!

RT: Service was beautiful today. No sermon today, just music, and healing verses from the Bible. It was just what I needed. I walked in there a crying, distorted mess, totally emotionally wreaked, and I walked out rejoicing and feeling hopeful, and lifted up. Even though I am still feeling a little emotional, I know it's ok to feel that way, and that God is really taking care of me and teaching me things! Now THAT is what I'm talking about.

mina
10-24-2010, 03:48 PM
Last Sunday, I was at the Grand Canyon. It was such an amazing experience! I attended a church there and it almost made me cry it was that good! I love going to a random church on vacation and worshiping with other members of the body. There is a studio at the Grand Canyon on the South rim and on the door was this verse: psalm 104:24 "O Lord, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all: the Earth is full of thy riches!" It made my heart soar!

DIANAC
10-24-2010, 07:47 PM
Saints often walk alone.
It is indeed a blessing to have a caring family and devoted friends, people who can shoulder your troubles. But there are times when there is no one to turn to for a wise counsel. Those are the times when we turn to God.
And the more we walk with God, the less our soul enjoys the company of our friends. And that very loneliness draws us closer to God.
Is God purposefully removing our friends from our lives such that we spend more time with Him?

James 4:4-6 You adulterous people, don't you know that friendship with the world is hatred toward God? Anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. Or do you think Scripture says without reason that the spirit he caused to live in us envies intensely?But he gives us more grace. That is why Scripture says:"God opposes the proud but gives grace to the humble."

GM
10-24-2010, 11:04 PM
I saw it in a minute and dropping to my knees, I said, "Lord, You have been a guest and I have been
the host. From now on I am going to be the servant. You are going to be the owner and Master and
Lord."

http://www.sjpres.org/images/10000/7000/273ST/user/My_Heart_Christs_Home.pdf

katzankatz
10-25-2010, 12:56 AM
I'm thankful for for God's forgiveness. If we confess our sins he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins 1 John 1:9.

Ramura
10-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Last Sunday, I was at the Grand Canyon. It was such an amazing experience! I attended a church there and it almost made me cry it was that good! I love going to a random church on vacation and worshiping with other members of the body. There is a studio at the Grand Canyon on the South rim and on the door was this verse: psalm 104:24 "O Lord, how manifold are thy works! In wisdom hast thou made them all: the Earth is full of thy riches!" It made my heart soar!

I think I saw that when I went to the Grand Canyon a few years ago. That place is truly an amazing display of God's creation.

Virginia
10-25-2010, 06:44 PM
The Lord is really testing my patience via my high school students... I pray that I can be a light to them, that they will see Jesus in me...

katzankatz
10-25-2010, 07:36 PM
Jehovah's Witnesses are not merely annoying. I used to let them irritate me. Now they still irritate me, but mixed with the irritation is a lot of sadness. They are very lost.

DIANAC
10-25-2010, 08:55 PM
This morning I was in the book of John and discovered the best diet plan.
In John 4 disciples come back from food shopping in town after Jesus revealed himself to the woman at the well. They all were hungry. Disciples set the dinner, but now Jesus suddenly does not want to eat. Disciples suspect that while they were away he had a dinner with someone else. But Jesus says to them that they are clueless and adds "My food is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work’ John 4:31.
And there you have it, the best diet plan! If we do His will, that will satisfy us more than any 5star restaurant meal. His work fills us and we thirst no more when we drink His water.

DIANAC
10-26-2010, 07:10 PM
Last Thursday a friend shared that he is still praying for a job which is a hard thing to get once you are over 55. I will pray also, I said. And I did that on Friday morning. Maybe I remembered him on Monday morning during when I prayed. But I am not very sure of that. But on Monday afternoon his wife got text message announcing that he got a job after many months of unemployment. Whoa! My first obvious thought was, I prayed, and now he is employed. But then I remembered my lukewarm prayer and I was ashamed of myself. How does this really-really work? Can my prayer move the hand of the Almighty? How about if I am praying earnestly? Would He move faster? Maybe He already had that job lined up, and I started praying just at the right time. But maybe He is doing what He is doing not because of the quality of my prayers, but because He is faithful. That is humbling. But, truthfully, I really do not understand His ways.
I am not skilled to understand
What God hath willed, what God hath planned;
I only know that at His right hand
Is One Who is my Savior!

Sam
10-26-2010, 07:20 PM
God has really been working in me to not worry so much about my needs, and just trust in Him for them, and he has brought my attention back to DH, to work hard at making his burden lighter, and it honestly has made my stress level so much better, and I can definately tell a difference in DH as well.
The situation has not changed, but through God's work in us the way we handle the situation is alot different.

Virginia
10-26-2010, 10:30 PM
And my God will meet all your needs according to his glorious riches in Christ Jesus.
Phil 4:19

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Cor 12:9

My flesh and my heart may fail, but God is the strength of my heart and my portion forever.
Ps 73:26

I can do ALL things through HIM who strengthens me!

I can survive this week with the strength of the Lord... and ONLY with His strength, because I am emotionally, intellectually, and physically spent...

DIANAC
10-27-2010, 07:16 AM
Thank you, Christine! How good is to remember this!

Sam
10-27-2010, 01:28 PM
I had been telling myself for quite a while now that I needed to really get back in the Word, but I just haven't made the time. Well, today it was like God made the time for me. Cassy got tired and fussy around 9:00 and so I put her to bed, and I decided to work out on the eliptical I got last weekend. I was reading a Christian book and when I finished got really convicted to sit and open up my Bible.

So I did and it was so fulfilling! God opened my eyes and gave me a new understanding of something that I have been struggling with for quite sometime.
So after I read what I needed to read, and pray what I needed to pray, I looked in the baby monitor and Cassy was waking up.

Hope
10-30-2010, 11:14 AM
My prayer for today...
Create in me a pure heart, O God, and restore a steadfast spirit within me. Do not cast me from your presence or take your holy spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of your salvation and grant me a willing spirit to sustain me. ~Psalm 51:10-12

Virginia
10-30-2010, 10:07 PM
Question posed on a Calvinist friend's blog:
does God NEED us to fulfill the Great Commission?

...I have no earthly idea.

DIANAC
10-31-2010, 07:34 AM
Ah....Calvinism! Unlimited source of contention and discord!

Sorry for my bad attitude!
Calvinists teach that Christ died only for some people but not for the entire world. Those God chose for salvation will be saved because God himself saves them and chooses those He wants to save. The concept of Irresistible Grace ("I" in TULIP) teaches that no one can resist God's grace and will get saved. So, some super Calvinists state that if God determined who will be saved and He can do all things, He can save them without our involvement.

Virginia
10-31-2010, 12:19 PM
Ah....Calvinism! Unlimited source of contention and discord!

Sorry for my bad attitude!
Calvinists teach that Christ died only for some people but not for the entire world. Those God chose for salvation will be saved because God himself saves them and chooses those He wants to save. The concept of Irresistible Grace ("I" in TULIP) teaches that no one can resist God's grace and will get saved. So, some super Calvinists state that if God determined who will be saved and He can do all things, He can save them without our involvement.

I really struggle with Calvinistic beliefs. Total Depravity- if it means we are lost with Christ because we are slaves to sin, then yes. Persistence of the Saints- maybe.
Irresistible Grace, Unconditional Election, Limited Atonement...??? No way.

This friend who posed this question feels he and his wife are called by God to be missionaries to India...and why would God need them to be missionaries if He has already sent Jesus to die for the elect and if He extends irresistible grace to those elect?

Ramura
10-31-2010, 02:52 PM
Well, I think that's kind of an oversimplification of Calvinistic beliefs.

I think we can all agree that God is powerful enough to make believers of whoever he wants. Whether or not he uses that power to the fullest extent, I think we all know that he is capable of it. So, really, why does he use us period? I don't think the point is whether he "needs" us or not. Whether you're a Calvinist or not (and, by the way, I am not :)), that's just not the point. The point is God's glory and God's love for us. If overriding free will and doing it all himself would bring God the most glory and would be the best expression of his love for us, then that's what would happen. But it doesn't work that way. God is most glorified by working through us and his love is best expressed to us by working through us.

Like I said, I'm not a Calvinist. I'm on the fence about some things, but I'm enjoying learning about them and I think a lot of their teachings are often misinterpreted. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm learning and I think it's worth studying.

Melly
10-31-2010, 02:58 PM
I've learned recently that when you give up and let God take care of you, he will fulfill your needs, but only when he feels it is the perfect time. I mean I've always known this, but to see it and know what I'm seeing, it's just amazing. The Lord has blessed me just by letting go and letting him have it.

snooch
11-01-2010, 04:28 PM
Two random spiritual thoughts:

1) I saw someone ask the other day - "If Jesus was accused of being 'Friends with Sinners,' then who were his enemies?"

2) I need to remember, and rely on, Romans 8:28 way more than I have been lately.

And we know that for those who love God all things work together for good, for those who are called according to his purpose.

Virginia
11-01-2010, 06:24 PM
Well, I think that's kind of an oversimplification of Calvinistic beliefs.

I think we can all agree that God is powerful enough to make believers of whoever he wants. Whether or not he uses that power to the fullest extent, I think we all know that he is capable of it. So, really, why does he use us period? I don't think the point is whether he "needs" us or not. Whether you're a Calvinist or not (and, by the way, I am not :)), that's just not the point. The point is God's glory and God's love for us. If overriding free will and doing it all himself would bring God the most glory and would be the best expression of his love for us, then that's what would happen. But it doesn't work that way. God is most glorified by working through us and his love is best expressed to us by working through us.

Like I said, I'm not a Calvinist. I'm on the fence about some things, but I'm enjoying learning about them and I think a lot of their teachings are often misinterpreted. I'm certainly no expert, but I'm learning and I think it's worth studying.

You think what's an oversimplification of Calvinistic beliefs?

P.S. I studied Calvinism in college :) And Armenianism. And our professor was so good at playing devil's advocate that we didn't know WHAT he was until the end of the semester when he finally indulged us ;)

God is powerful enough to make believers of whoever He wants- then where's free will and us choosing to accept God's grace? If God is willing that no man should perish (2 Peter 3:9), then why doesn't He save everyone?

I'm also "on the fence" about many theological issues, but Calvinism isn't one of 'em ;)

My RST for the day:

If Jesus is the most important element of my life, my being, if He really is my All in All... does it show???

DIANAC
11-01-2010, 08:36 PM
I am still in the book of John
John 6:9 “Here is a boy with five small barley loaves and two small fish, but how far will they go among so many?”

10 Jesus said, “Have the people sit down.” There was plenty of grass in that place, and they sat down (about five thousand men were there). 11 Jesus then took the loaves, gave thanks, and distributed to those who were seated as much as they wanted. He did the same with the fish.

12 When they had all had enough to eat, he said to his disciples, “Gather the pieces that are left over. Let nothing be wasted.” 13 So they gathered them and filled twelve baskets with the pieces of the five barley loaves left over by those who had eaten.

So, Jesus feeds 5 thousand people with 5 small barley loaves and at the end of the meal there are 5 barley loaves left over. What struck me as if I saw this for the first time is that He did not say, how am I going to feed all these people with 5 loaves? Instead He was thankful for the 5 small loaves that he was holding.
If we are thankful for what little we have, not thankful with our lips, but truly thankful from our hearts, we can feed the multitudes and still have left over as much as we had before.

DIANAC
11-03-2010, 12:36 PM
Thank You Father for the blessedness of not knowing. Should I have known of the valleys ahead, I would have avoided them at all cost. I would also have missed out on the blessedness of being led by you and comforted by your Spirit. Thank You for allowing me to know what I need to know and hiding what I do not need to know.

Sam
11-03-2010, 12:42 PM
You know, there are times where no amount of works, no amount of prayer, nothing you can learn, nothing you can do can get yourself out of a situation. Sometimes you just have to go through it according to God's plan in your life. That is what I am learning right now.

snooch
11-03-2010, 12:49 PM
You know, there are times where no amount of works, no amount of prayer, nothing you can learn, nothing you can do can get yourself out of a situation. Sometimes you just have to go through it according to God's plan in your life. That is what I am learning right now.

Yeah... I kinda hate that, but it's true.

Virginia
11-03-2010, 05:34 PM
Because of the LORD’s great love we are not consumed, for his compassions never fail. They are new every morning; great is your faithfulness.
Lamentations 3:22-23

DIANAC
11-03-2010, 08:41 PM
Thank You Father for the blessedness of not knowing. Should I have known of the valleys ahead, I would have avoided them at all cost. I would also have missed out on the blessedness of being led by you and comforted by your Spirit. Thank You for allowing me to know what I need to know and hiding what I do not need to know.

This is so hard. I really do not know what He is doing. In my post #15 I was rejoicing that my friend got a job. But this evening his wife called and told me that the employer changed his mind. My friends are so upset. I had to remind myself of my own post and thanking the Father for even this situation. Urgh! We just have to persevere and keep trusting Him!

Sam
11-03-2010, 10:32 PM
It is hard, Diana. Trusting in God is something I am constantly having to renew, or recommit. Its so strange because, even though I know He is always faithful, and I know that He works all things for good, and I know that He will see me through, my faith still gets weak. But I have gotten good at catching myself when my faith starts to falter, and I say to myself (and sometimes out loud) I commit this to God again, I will not worry about it, He is faithful.

MsDahl
11-07-2010, 08:08 PM
I'm looking forward to work tomorrow! It's awesome to get paid money to do what I love to do....thank you God for this blessing. One of my students left in tears last week, I just pray that God can use me to help calm her nerves and to help her see that she *can* and *will* pass the GED.

Virginia
11-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Lord, please help me be content with all I have. Help me give thanks in ALL circumstances.

Sam
11-09-2010, 02:17 PM
I am feeling very very convicted to withness to my best friend. It is something I have tried before but she has a very very bad opinion of Christians. So much that for the past several years any religious topics are off limits to us. I know that she believes there is a God, she has a crucifix hanging on her wall in her living room and she asks me for prayers and stuff like that, but she refuses to give her heart toJesus because of what she feels about Christians (which is very innacurate anyways). In the past I wasnt wise enough to handle that but I believe now I am. I would just really appreciate some prayers for me!

Boudica
11-10-2010, 03:50 PM
The good Lord brought me to it and the good Lord will bring me through it.

DIANAC
11-10-2010, 07:57 PM
I am feeling very very convicted to withness to my best friend. It is something I have tried before but she has a very very bad opinion of Christians. So much that for the past several years any religious topics are off limits to us. I know that she believes there is a God, she has a crucifix hanging on her wall in her living room and she asks me for prayers and stuff like that, but she refuses to give her heart toJesus because of what she feels about Christians (which is very innacurate anyways). In the past I wasnt wise enough to handle that but I believe now I am. I would just really appreciate some prayers for me!

Will pray!

DIANAC
11-11-2010, 07:58 AM
"If God has made your cup sweet, drink it with grace; if he has made it bitter, drink it in communion with Him", from today's devotional My Utmost For His Highest, Oswald Chambers.

mina
11-11-2010, 05:31 PM
God is able to make all grace abound to you, so that in all things , at all times , having all that you need you will abound in every good thing.

DIANAC
11-12-2010, 11:58 AM
Yesterday I realized this. God told Adam and Eve 1) What to do with their personal life (Gen 1:28, to be fruitful and multiply), but Adam and Eve did not listen and the multiplying part came after the Fall, 2) Lord God asked Adam to take care of the garden (Gen 2:15), but he paid no attention and let the Serpent in, 3)and The Lord God told them what to eat and what not to eat. And they again did not listen.....So, if Adam and Eve living in the idyllic conditions did not listen to anything God told them, what about us? Are we better then them???? Maybe by going though the hardships of life, being saved through Grace and having the Spirit in us makes us "more able" to obey the Lord. Maybe we are a new and improved versions of Adam and Eve? But I must keep remembering the lessons of Adam and Eve and not to forget that it is so easy to fall. Only because of Him we are able to put one foot in front of the other. He is so merciful....

Virginia
11-16-2010, 04:16 PM
God, You answer prayers. Maybe not in our timing; maybe not with our answer. But You do answer. You know my needs even before I tell you... You are truly awesome.

Kyrielle
11-17-2010, 05:41 AM
P.S. I studied Calvinism in college :) And Armenianism. And our professor was so good at playing devil's advocate that we didn't know WHAT he was until the end of the semester when he finally indulged us ;)

So what was he? :D

RST for now: I was reading the website of a cat rescue shelter and looking at the kitties up for adoption (I am naughty, I know!), and I was thinking how they all have their own unique stories of how they got rescued... some were saved from kill shelters, others were saved from being dumped on the street or from being feral kitties. Kind of like our own testimonies, they are all different and all show how we were saved and are being saved :)

Sam
11-17-2010, 01:09 PM
When I ask God for something, usually I already have in mind how I expect He will answer, or what He will do about the situation. I am beginning to understand that that has been a big problem for me and a huge source of dissappointment. I already know that God is going to answer my prayers the way He wants to, not the way I want Him to. And why should He? He is God, not me. So why do I still think I can predict what God is going to do?
That is definately something I need to work on. When I ask God for help, I need to ask with no expectations, but with the belief that He will take care of it according to His perfect will, not mine.

DIANAC
11-17-2010, 01:36 PM

Sam, did you have an opportunity to witness to her?

Sam
11-17-2010, 02:09 PM
Unfortunately, not yet. She was supposed to come over last week but I came down with a stomach bug. We rarely ever get to talk anymore so it will probably be after Thanksgiving. I was actually praying really hard about this this morning and I am feeling a lot more confident.

Virginia
11-17-2010, 07:16 PM
So what was he? :D

He was of an Armenian persuasion :)

DIANAC
11-17-2010, 08:37 PM
He was of an Armenian persuasion :)
That's nice! But was he Calvinist Armenian, or Arminian Armenian?

Sam
11-19-2010, 05:30 PM
There's more that rises in the morning
Than the sun
And more that shines in the night
Than just the moon
It's more than just this fire here
That keeps me warm
In a shelter that is larger
Than this room

And there's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegiance
I owe only to the giver
Of all good things

So if I stand let me stand on the promise
That you will pull me through
And if I can't, let me fall on the grace
That first brought me to You
And if I sing let me sing for the joy
That has born in me these songs
And if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

There's more that dances on the prairies
Than the wind
More that pulses in the ocean
Than the tide
There's a love that is fiercer
Than the love between friends
More gentle than a mother's
When her baby's at her side

And there's a loyalty that's deeper
Than mere sentiments
And a music higher than the songs
That I can sing
The stuff of Earth competes
For the allegence
I owe only to the Giver
Of all good things

And if I weep let it be as a man
Who is longing for his home

Rich Mullins

DIANAC
11-19-2010, 10:09 PM
"It's got to be somewhere here, in the Bible" says one 84 year old radically saved 2 years ago, on every issue that we discuss. Attitude to admire!

Virginia
11-21-2010, 09:25 AM
It's so easy to read and recite Scripture... the tough part is living by it because I can't do it on my own. It's a constant submitting to the Lord, and it's difficult sometimes!

DIANAC
12-01-2010, 06:31 PM
Creature desires the environment that he is made for. Fish like swimming in the water, birds-the clear skies, and lions need the wilderness. Man desires peace, joy, love and fellowship, all that what Heaven is all about. On this Earth men found cheap substitutes for Heaven. Instead of joy, men are looking for happiness. True peace is substituted with truce. And pure love is cheapened and is searched for in most unlikely places.
Man is not made for Hell! Man does not crave discourse, pain and suffering, everything that Hell is made of. But that is where some will end up.
I am convinced that every person regardless of his nationality, skin color, political affiliation, religious and spiritual views, can not be truly happy unless he is in Christ!

Virginia
12-01-2010, 06:55 PM
God can speak through any circumstance, so long as we are tuned in to His voice.

DIANAC
12-14-2010, 09:41 PM
We learn the Word and accept it by faith. But only when we put it to practice we can make it our own. The other night I had an opportunity to test Is 61:3. I was in a great deal of pain. I prayed for pain to go away. God did not answer my prayer. I remembered Ps 59 as the Psalmist was praising God while he was surrounded by his enemies. And so I started praising Him for his faithfulness. 10 minutes later my pain diminished and eventually went away.

DIANAC
12-20-2010, 09:43 AM
It takes strength to be humble. Not mine, but the Lord's.

Virginia
12-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I can't have joy without it coming from the Lord. I can pretend all I want; I can try by my human might all I want. But it comes ONLY from God and spending time with Him, delighting myself in Him. I don't want counterfeit joy.

mina
12-24-2010, 12:11 PM
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

I am so thankful for that!

I was thinking over earlier how it must have been for Mary and Joseph. To know that this Child is God in the flesh.....He would be perfect......They would have a 2 year old that doesn't sin! This Child wouldn't truly need to be "taught" and "guided"; He would teach and guide them......As a 12 year old; He was the one that was giving them a glimpse of pure and perfect Truth. Talk about the humility they must have possessed......to care for this Child that in a sense knew all the answers and who was the hope for mankind! I remember reading one of Max Lucado's books....He talks about Jesus being a little boy and Mary taking Him for a walk at night. She tells Him to look at the stars and asks "i wonder how many there are..." and Jesus the little boy told her! I like to think about things like that: what was Jesus like as a little boy.....

Hope
12-24-2010, 03:18 PM
The people walking in darkness have seen a great light; on those living in the land of the shadow of death a light has dawned. For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be upon his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. ~ Isaiah 9:2,6

Let us hold unswervingly to the hope we profess, for he who promised is faithful. ~ Hebrews 10:23

DIANAC
12-24-2010, 09:05 PM
John 1:14 The Word became flesh and made his dwelling among us.

I am so thankful for that!

I was thinking over earlier how it must have been for Mary and Joseph. To know that this Child is God in the flesh.....He would be perfect......They would have a 2 year old that doesn't sin! This Child wouldn't truly need to be "taught" and "guided"; He would teach and guide them......As a 12 year old; He was the one that was giving them a glimpse of pure and perfect Truth. Talk about the humility they must have possessed......to care for this Child that in a sense knew all the answers and who was the hope for mankind! I remember reading one of Max Lucado's books....He talks about Jesus being a little boy and Mary taking Him for a walk at night. She tells Him to look at the stars and asks "i wonder how many there are..." and Jesus the little boy told her! I like to think about things like that: what was Jesus like as a little boy.....

Mina, I am sure that Jesus did not have "terrible twos"!

I think Mary and Joseph did not understand everything. They could not. I think they learned as things unfolded. Sometimes, they did not understand Jesus. Remember, when they "lost" him? Or as in Mark when Jesus skipped a meal and had a busy preaching schedule, Mary thought that he was out of his mind (?). Mary was so human. I so can understand her. You know how it is, when you are in the middle of big events, you just do not fully appreciate the moment. Only later you say "I wish I paid more attention to what was happening".
Another thing I do not understand is why did Jesus need to learn obedience. He had to be obedient to his earthly parents who did not fully grasp his divine nature. When teenagers say that their parents do not understand them, imagine what Jesus must have felt?
One more thing...It is unbelievable to me that Jesus had to suffer. Why? He was God! But he suffered so He can identify with my sufferings. Unbelievable! I am just so thankful for all this and for Jesus.

Virginia
12-24-2010, 11:21 PM
Lord... You are beautiful. Thank you for using me as an instrument of Your love and peace. I'm so very humbled.

DIANAC
12-28-2010, 09:49 AM
We must be willing to accept the bitter truth that, in the 
end, we may have to become a burden to those who love us. But
 it is necessary that we face this also. The full acceptance of 
our abjection and uselessness is the virtue that can make us
 and others rich in the grace of God. It takes heroic charity
 and humility to let others sustain us when we are absolutely
 incapable of sustaining ourselves.
 We cannot suffer well unless we see Christ everywhere--both
 in suffering and in the charity of those who come to the aid of
 our affliction.
 ... Thomas Merton

I found this quote today and it resonated with me. I hear elderly people say that they pray that they are not a burden to their children. It sounds noble. But it did not make sense to me. The nature itself teaches that as we get old, sicknesses come and at times we have to look to others and specifically to our family for help. But how to do it in the godly way? This quotation teaches that we need grace in our weakness, strength to be humble and to allow others to help us in our time of need. This way those who aid us can be blessed.
Thank You, Father, for revealing this to me. Thank You!

spiersdodgerblue
01-02-2011, 11:29 AM
The cross of Christ is the most revolutionary thing ever to appear among men. The cross of old Roman times knew no compromise; it never made concessions. It won all its arguments by killing its opponents and silencing him for good. It spared not Christ, but slew Him the same as the rest. He was alive when they hung Him on the cross and completely dead when they took Him down six hours later. That was the cross the first time it appeared in Christian history.
After Christ was risen from the dead the apostles went out to preach His message, and what they preached was the cross. And wherever they went into the wide world they carried the cross, and the same revolutionary power went with them. The radical message of the cross transformed Saul of Tarsus and changed him from a persecutor of Christians to a tender believer and an apostle of the faith. Its power changed bad men into good ones. It shook off the long bondage of paganism and altered completely the whole moral and mental outlook of the Western world.
All this it did and continued to do as long as it was permitted to remain what it had been originally - a cross. Its power departed when it was changed from a thing a death to a thing of beauty. When men made of it a symbol, hung it around their necks as an ornament or made its outline before their faces as a magic sign to ward off evil, then it became at best a weak emblem, at worst a postive fetish. As such it is revered today by millions who know absolutely nothing about its power.
The cross effects its ends by destroying one established pattern, the victim's, and creating another patteren, its own. Thus it always has its way. It wins bt defeating opponent and imposing its will upon him. It always dominates. It never compromises, never dickers nor confers, never surrenders a point for the sake of peace. It cares not for peace; it cares only to end its opposition as fast as possible.
with perfect knowledge of all this Christ said, "If anyone would come after me, he must deny himself and take up his cross and follow me" (Matthew 16:24). So the cross not only brings Christ's life to an end, it ends also the first life, the old life, of every one of His true followers. It detroys the old pattern, the Adam pattern, in the believer's life, and brings it to an end. Then the God who raised Christ from the dead raises the believer and a new life begins.
This, and nothing less, is true Christianity, though we can not but recongnize the sharp divergence of evangelicals today. But we dare not qualify our position. The cross stands high above the opinions of men and to that cross all opinions must come at last for judgment. A shallow and worldly leadership would modify the cross to please the entertainment-mad saintlings who will have thier fun even within the very sanctuary; but to do so is to count spiritual disaster an risk the anger of the Lamb turned Lion.
We must do something about the cross, and one of two things only we must do---flee it or die upon it. And if we should be so foolhardy as to flee, we shall by that act put away the faith of our fathers and make of Christianity something other than it is. Than we shall have left only the empty language of salvation; the power will depart with our departure from the true cross.
if we are wise we will do what Jesus did: endure the cross and despise its shame for the joy thst is set before us. To do this is to submit the whole pattern of our lives to be destroyed and built again in the power of an endless life. And we shall find that it is more than poetry, more than sweet hymnody and elevated feeling. The cross will cut into our lives where it hurts worst, sparing neither us nor our carefully cultivated reputations. It will defeat us and bring our selfish lives to an end. Only then can we rise in fullness of life to establish a pattern of living wholly new and free and full of good works.
The changed attitude toward the cross that we see in modern orthodoxy proves not that God has changes, nor Christ has eased up on His demands that we carry the cross; it means rather that current Christianity has moved away from the standars of the New Testament. So far have we moved indeed that it may take nothing short of a reformation to restore the cross to its right place in the theology and life of the church.

The Radical Cross
A. W. Tozer

I am studying the cross.

DIANAC
01-02-2011, 01:16 PM
if we are wise we will do what Jesus did: endure the cross and despise its shame for the joy thst is set before us. To do this is to submit the whole pattern of our lives to be destroyed and built again in the power of an endless life.

Amen and amen!

Hope
01-03-2011, 12:07 PM
Paying bills rarely inspires me to praise God, but...
a) He unexpectedly provided for us on Jan 1. It was an answer to prayer.
b) It was absolutely beautiful this morning as I was driving around dropping off bills at various locations! The sun was coming up, the sky was blue, the ocean was an amazing color...I drove back home with my heart and soul singing His praises. :) Awesome.

Virginia
01-03-2011, 12:08 PM
Thank you, Lord, for being an awesome Creator.

Sam
01-05-2011, 01:30 PM
This morning God really gave me a better understanding of praying for His Will to be done. Its understanding that even if it does not go the way you want it to (and in this specific situation it more than likely wont) You know that God will use it for good. God knows what I want to happen but he also knows what needs to happen and he knows what is best so I will be satisfied with whatever happens.

Virginia
01-05-2011, 03:01 PM
I don't think the Lord intends for people to just sit back and do nothing in the name of "trusting Him." He indicates numerous times throughout scriptures that it is wise to plan but not healthy to worry. He will provide for us, yes. Absolutely. He is Jehovah-Jireh. But we must also do the necessary planning/work that is required of us... (i.e. being frugal with our resources, paying our taxes on time, etc.).

DIANAC
01-05-2011, 08:46 PM
I don't think the Lord intends for people to just sit back and do nothing in the name of "trusting Him." He indicates numerous times throughout scriptures that it is wise to plan but not healthy to worry. He will provide for us, yes. Absolutely. He is Jehovah-Jireh. But we must also do the necessary planning/work that is required of us... (i.e. being frugal with our resources, paying our taxes on time, etc.).

You are correct, even though some might misunderstand you. My formulation of this is - to do God's specific will in our lives, we have to do God's general will. In other words, if we are out of work and searching God's will in this area, we first have to do God's general will, like growing in the Word, giving, serving Him, forgiving, loving, etc. Only after that He will show us His specific will regarding our employment.
One more thing. Here is the article that "coincidentally" I was reading today
http://www.intouch.org/magazine/content/topic/life_s_most_difficult_lesson

Virginia
01-12-2011, 11:03 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Diana :hug:

This especially spoke to me (from the article you posted)

Although the counsel of others can be valuable, it should always be filtered through the truth of God’s Word. Make it a habit to seek the Lord’s guidance before going to any outside source.

I have such trouble going to God FIRST, especially before my husband. One blessing that has emerged from reading the Bible daily this year has been that I spend time in prayer with the Lord every morning, and thus turn over my worries to Him at the beginning of the day. So I'm not so tempted to go to others for comfort or wisdom before going to God.

Sam
01-12-2011, 12:59 PM
Lord I thank you for working in me and my life, I realize that you arent near done yet and that is why I still feel broken in places. I release those areas to you so that YOU can put the pieces back where you want them to go.

DIANAC
01-12-2011, 01:35 PM
Thanks for sharing that, Diana :hug:

This especially spoke to me (from the article you posted)

I have such trouble going to God FIRST, especially before my husband. One blessing that has emerged from reading the Bible daily this year has been that I spend time in prayer with the Lord every morning, and thus turn over my worries to Him at the beginning of the day. So I'm not so tempted to go to others for comfort or wisdom before going to God.
Going to the Lord first, speaking from my own experience, is a habit. I learned and am learning to do that in all things. Even my hubby, started saying this "OK, let's do what you always say, let us put this to prayer first". Even at work, even when it came to technical things, after I banged my head a few times, I would say to myself, why am I not praying for clarity in this project. After all God designed technology". And I would get e new insight. Our ENTIRE life is a learning process. But, we have to be teachable!

DIANAC
01-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Some pray as if they are sending an email. But some pray as if they are sharing their heart with a dear friend.

spiersdodgerblue
01-27-2011, 02:22 AM
Lead a midweek class @ church in the "Persecuted Church" and what a blessing this is!!! Thank you Lord for the freedom You have allowed me in living in this country thus the ability to worship You when and where I want! I want this for all!!!

Virginia
01-27-2011, 01:04 PM
God is bigger than everything I could possibly worry about.

katzankatz
01-27-2011, 02:21 PM
When we cast all our cares on him, he expects us to trust him enough to leave them there.

spiersdodgerblue
01-28-2011, 01:31 AM
BETTER THAN GOLD

Every Christian believer should be aware that our God has given us definite promises of an amazing inheritance to be realized in the eternal! The blessings and riches of our divine inheritance are not riches that will come to us for anything that is worthy or superior in ourselves; but will come because of our relationship in faith to the One who is the fount of every blessing. We must remember that an inheritance has not actually been earned. Such bequests come from One who owns everything and gives to another whom He delights to honor and who can establish his rightful claim. Inheritance is a right resulting from a relationship. In this case, the right belongs to the children of God by virtue of the fact that their identification as children of God by faith in the eternal Son of God has been established and is in the heavenly records! The apostle said of us: "Men and women cannot imagine or even dream of all the things which God has prepared for those who love Him!"

A.W. Tozer

spiersdodgerblue
01-29-2011, 12:23 AM
It is good to be able to receive new truth and blessing without sacrificing the truths already proved or abandoning foundations already laid.

Some persons are always laying the foundations, until, finally, they appear like a number of abandoned sites and half-constructed buildings. Nothing is ever brought to completion.

If today you are abandoning for some new truth the things that a year ago you counted most precious and believed to be divinely true, this should be sufficient evidence that a year from now you will probably abandon your present convictions for the next new light that comes to you.

God wants to continually add to us, to develop us, to enlarge us, to teach us more and more but always building on what He has already taught us and what He has established in our lives.

While we are to prove all things, let us hold fast that which is good, and whereto we have already attained, let us walk by the same rule, let us mind the same thing (Philippians 3:16).

Virginia
01-29-2011, 08:52 AM
I remember feeling "the fire" back in the youth group days after going to some big church camp. That "fire" was almost always pure emotion for most of us, and it faded after about a week of being back home.

I've learned now that being in relationship with God doesn't always FEEL good. Sometimes it hurts. Sometimes it's hard. Sometimes it's easy. But it is always worth being faithful to Him.

Sometimes I wish that those youth camps emphasized that instead of the lights, amped up music, etc... I feel like they're almost doing "false advertising" :(

DIANAC
01-29-2011, 08:59 AM
Christine, the same is when during the altar call they play a certain background music. Do we need to set the mood? Isn't the Holy Spirit capable of doing the work himself. And if this is man's efforts, what kind of results do we expect?

DIANAC
01-30-2011, 03:07 PM
Today we trusted the Lord with James 5
14 If any of you are sick, they should call for the elders of the church, and the elders should pray over them, anointing them with oil in the name of the Lord. 15 Prayer that comes from faith will heal the sick, for the Lord will restore them to health.
Our pastor anointed my husband with oil and the elders and the pastor laid their hands on him and prayed for his healing.

Virginia
01-31-2011, 10:33 AM
Diana, that reminds me of my reading in Matthew 15 today where Jesus heals a Canaanite woman's daughter because of her Hebrews 11:6-type faith.

Said a prayer in faith for your hubby.

DIANAC
01-31-2011, 12:15 PM
Thank you, Christine, so much!!
Sometimes I think about those friends who dragged their sick friend to where Jesus was teaching, climbed on the roof carrying their sick friend, maybe removed a few roof tiles and lowered their sick friend to Jesus! Who has such perseverance? Sometimes I get weary. But lately I am reminded of them....

Melly
01-31-2011, 02:46 PM
I'm praising God for allowing me to be in a nation where I can teach my children about Christ and not be persecuted for it at least not physically yet. I know the day will come when we are, but God will build me up to be able to handle it, because he is stronger and his wrath is worse then any man's.

spiersdodgerblue
01-31-2011, 10:31 PM
Amen

spiersdodgerblue
01-31-2011, 10:50 PM
My kids and their daughter have been living with us since Oct. And it has not always been easy. Our Lord has supplied for all our needs, that's not the problem. It's all the personality's in this house. It's at least 2 times a day I think to myself.....I am going on CG and Rant my ever loving head off!!!! But I don't.

When I want to, this comes to mind and I am thankful. :hail:

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me.
2 Corinthians 12:9

I am weak a lot and am thankful He loves me and comes to me and shows me another path.

spiersdodgerblue
02-01-2011, 04:53 AM
Lord, while I look at the world and know it is still rebellious and self absorbed, I thank you for coming despite your reception.

This would include myself also :(

katzankatz
02-01-2011, 11:30 PM
Tonight on a whim I put on my snow gear and went out in this ferocious blizzard and walked in the snow for a while. It was quite humbling as I considered how small I am and how powerful the wind is and how dangerous. But it was an amazing walk! I was reminded of Jesus when he was on the boat with some disciples and the storm whipped up. Jesus commanded the storm to stop, and the disciples were astonished, and sked "Who is this? Even the wind and the waves obey him!" I felt small and vulnerable out there, at the same time filled with awe that all this power is harnessed by my Creator and Savior!

MsDahl
02-02-2011, 01:19 AM
Saying a prayer for my dear friend/coworker in Missouri who is having to use the fireplace to stay warm since her furnace went out earlier tonight. Since her area is under a state of emergency, it won't be fixed for a few days. Her spouse has an injured back and she is 65 years old and has to haul all the wood herself without a wheelbarrow or sled because the snow is too deep. I pray that God gives her His divine strength to get through this and that He provides some sort of miracle for her.

katzankatz
02-14-2011, 12:16 AM
I love the way prayer was answered today. Today in our life group I shared some burdens our family has been going through lately ( I had to go to church alone due to DH having to work again, one kid getting over the flu, and one kid staying home to take care of the other one). So our leader prayed for us, asking God to grant us some respite from the trial. So I got home from church and DH had cut out of work early, he said "come on, let's go do something!" So we went and got lunch, then drove around and looked at the Lake and took a short, very brisk walk. Then for dinner we met Grandma for dinner at PF Chang's. It really was a good break and a direct answer to prayer. So, thank you, Lord!

Virginia
02-14-2011, 01:38 PM
"For where two or three have gathered in My name, there I am in their midst."
Matthew 18:20

I feel SO much less confused now that I know the context of that Scripture isn't prayer but church discipline.

spiersdodgerblue
02-14-2011, 05:09 PM
"For where two or three have gathered in My name, there I am in their midst."
Matthew 18:20

I feel SO much less confused now that I know the context of that Scripture isn't prayer but church discipline.
Yes! We need to read the whole of scripture not just one verse and run with it.

We had a sr. pastor a few years back who always used this verse out of context and it would drive me crazy to sit and hear that.

spiersdodgerblue
02-16-2011, 05:14 PM
Thought I'd share this one.

Inspirational Readings by A.B. Simpson
Days of Heaven on Earth

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

In the consecrated believer the Holy Spirit is preeminently a Spirit
of prayer. If our whole being is committed to Him and our thoughts are
under His control, He will occupy every moment in communion. We shall
bring everything to Him as it comes, and pray it out in our spiritual
consciousness before we act it out in our lives. We shall, therefore,
find ourselves taking up the burdens of life and praying them out in a
wordless prayer which we ourselves often cannot understand, but which
is simply the unfolding of His thought and will within us. This will
be followed by the unfolding of His providence concerning us.

Unfaithfulness and disobedience to the faintest whisper of His will
often hinder some blessing which He meant for us. After a while, we
may become so dull and negligent that He will not be able to trust us
with His whispers, and we shall stumble on in the darkness and miss
His highest thoughts.

Lord, teach us to pray in the Spirit, to pray without ceasing, and to
lose nothing of Thy will.
Scripture

We will give ourselves continually to prayer—Acts 6:4

spiersdodgerblue
02-20-2011, 06:52 PM
[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="4"]Inspirational Readings by A.B. Simpson
Days of Heaven on Earth

Sunday, February 20, 2011

Satan is continually trying to weaken our faith by fear. He is a great metaphysician and knows the paralyzing effect of fear-the great enemy of faith. If he can cause us to fear, he will stop us from trusting and hinder the very blessing we need. Job found the peril of fear and gives us the sorrowful testimony I feared a fear, and it came upon me (Job 3:25, margin).

Fear is born of Satan, and if we would only take time to think a moment we would see that everything Satan says is founded upon a falsehood. He is the father of lies. Even his fears are falsehoods and his terrors ought to serve as encouragements.

When Satan tells you, therefore, that some ill is going to come, you may quietly look in his face and tell him he is a liar. Instead of ill, goodness and mercy shall follow you all the days of your life. And then turn to your blessed Lord and say, What time I am afraid, I will trust in thee (Psalm 56:3). Every fear is distrust, and trust is the remedy for fear.
Scripture

Fear thou not; for I am with thee—Isaiah 41:10

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]I fall short at times with trusting God and fall into the trap of fear. I'm working on it.

DIANAC
02-20-2011, 08:20 PM
spiers, once, when I mentioned to someone about living in a continual prayer, he did not understand how it is possible, unless someone is a monk living in seclusion. But this kind of life of prayer is available to each believer. Once, we learn how to to go about our day in constant communion with Him, we find that it is so liberating. There is so much power in the life of prayer!

spiersdodgerblue
02-21-2011, 08:01 PM
I found this to be very up lifting today!

Days of Heaven on Earth

Monday, February 21, 2011

How tenderly God soothes our fears! How sweetly He says in the introductory verse, Fear thou not; for I am with thee: be not dismayed; for I am thy God: . . . I will uphold thee with the right hand of my righteousness. And yet again, still with tender thoughtfulness, I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand, saying unto thee, Fear not; I will help thee (Isaiah 41:13). He does not say it only once, but He keeps holding our right hand and repeating such promises.

The blessed Lord condensed it all into one single message of eternal comfort spoken to the disciples on the Sea of Galilee, It is I, be not afraid. He is the antidote to fear; He is the remedy for trouble; He is the substance and the sum of deliverance. We should, therefore, rise above fear. Let us keep our eyes fastened upon Him; let us abide continually in Him; let us be content with Him.

Let us cling closely to Him and cry, Therefore will not we fear, though the earth be removed, and though the mountains be carried into the midst of the sea (Psalm 46:2).
Scripture

Be not dismayed; for I am thy God—Isaiah 41:10

spiersdodgerblue
02-22-2011, 08:27 PM
Blessed assurance, Jesus is mine!
O what a foretaste of glory divine!
Heir of salvation, purchase of God,
born of his Spirit, washed in his blood.

Perfect submission, all is at rest;
I in my Savior am happy and blest,
watching and waiting, looking above,
filled with his goodness, lost in his love.

This is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long;
this is my story, this is my song,
praising my Savior all the day long

DIANAC
02-25-2011, 08:10 AM
Yesterday I was so longing for spring. Last days of winter are dreary and long. And then I realized that the Lord is teaching me that in the same way we are to long for the Eternal Life. As we are in the Last days of Winter on this Earth, we should live with the Hope of Spring.

spiersdodgerblue
02-25-2011, 12:15 PM
"But even if you should suffer for what is right, you are blessed. 'Do not fear what they fear; do not be frightened.'" 1 Peter 3:14

Virginia
02-25-2011, 03:08 PM
Thanks for loving Me for who You made me to be, even when I fall short.

Ramura
03-07-2011, 11:36 AM
My flesh is tired of seeking God,
But on my knees I'll stay.
I want to be a pleasing child,
Until that final day.

My mind is full of many thoughts
That clutter and confuse.
But standing firm, I will prevail,
In faith that I'll be used.

Amen! I'm asking once again.
Won't you help me my friend, Lord Jesus.
Holy Lord Spirit, set us free,
From chains we cannot see,
Come release us.

I wrestle not with flesh and blood,
My fight is with the one,
Who lost the keys of hell and death,
To God's most precious Son.

One sleepless night of anguished prayer,
I triumphed over sin.
One battle in the holy war,
God's promised me to win.

Amen! I'm asking once again.
Won't you help me my friend, Lord Jesus.
Holy, Lord Spirit, set us free,
From chains we cannot see,
Come release us.

My flesh is tired of seeking God,
But on my knees I'll stay.
I want to be a pleasing child,
Until that final day.

Lyrics from "Until That Final Day" by Keith Green

Virginia
03-07-2011, 09:28 PM
The end times is just a mind-boggling topic for me! It's so great to know that the Lord is coming back, though, and we should live every day in faithfulness to Him... we don't know when He's returning.

Hope
03-10-2011, 12:29 PM
What a difference it made in my morning when I started it with a big, cheesy, enthusiastic "This is the day the Lord has made and I WILL rejoice and be glad in it!" :D

spiersdodgerblue
03-10-2011, 01:46 PM
Not cheesy at all! Your speaking truth, so I say Amen! :)

spiersdodgerblue
03-10-2011, 03:07 PM
Days of Heaven on Earth

Thursday, March 10, 2011

It is not peace with God, but the peace of God that [keeps our] hearts and minds. The peace which passeth all understanding is the very breath of God in the soul. He alone is able to keep it, and He can so keep it that "nothing shall offend us." Is this your experience?

God's rest did not come until His work was finished. Nor will ours. We begin our Christian lives by working, trying and struggling in the energy of the flesh to save ourselves. At last, when we are able to cease from our own work, God comes in with His blessed rest and works His own divine will in us.

Oh! have you heard the glorious word

Of hope and holy cheer?

From heav'n above its tones of love

Are lingering on my ear;

The blessed Comforter has come,

And Christ will soon be here.

Oh hearts that sigh, there's succor nigh,

The Comforter is near;

He comes to bring us to our King,

And fit us to appear.

I'm glad the Comforter has come,

And Christ will soon be here.
Scripture

The peace of God, which passeth all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds—Philippians 4:7

spiersdodgerblue
03-16-2011, 04:28 PM
Luke 21:10-11Then Jesus said to his disciples : "Nation will rise against nation, and kingdom against kingdom. There will be great earthquakes', famines and pestilences in various places, and fearful events and great signs from heaven. 'Jesus says for behold I come quickly,'

HalcyonFire
03-16-2011, 04:41 PM
^ things like that make me think "in September" Rosh Hashanah which is when the Feast of Trumpets is (no man knows the day time" in the Jewish calendar)

Sam
03-22-2011, 01:05 PM
I am going to try something different: Instead of letting myself get angry over your racist comments (because I know by now that you just do it to make me mad), I am just going to pray for you. I will pray that someday you can break free from the bondage of racism. I pray that one day you may actually enjoy a tv show without having to count how many black people and white people and just see people. I pray that one day you will just be able to have a conversation with someone without focusing on the color of their skin and see the beauty that is within that person, and that their color is only part of who they are. I pray that you will understand that God created us ALL in His image, so that means that God is black, God is white, God is brown, He is red, God is every color of the rainbow, and if you love God you better love his creation.

I will not get hot under the collar (with a LOT of help from the Holy Spirit) I will just smile and not say a word but inside I will pray all these things and I do not care if it takes the rest of my life before I see any results.

spiersdodgerblue
04-01-2011, 12:17 PM
Without faith it is impossible to please Him, for he who comes to God must believe that He is a rewarder of those who diligently seek Him. Hebrews 11:6

spiersdodgerblue
04-05-2011, 07:01 PM
He walked out of the grave, so that He can walk into your heart

snooch
04-05-2011, 07:43 PM
I'm reading C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters and something he said struck me.

Sometimes we (meaning, I) spend a lot of time showing compassion and benevolence to people or groups we don't know personally, who are more ideas and generalities to us than anything else - groups of people who are persecuted or treated unfairly or suffering oppression.

And all the while, we don't show that same compassion and benevolence to the people we see every day, who we do know and interact with personally. The guy who almost knocks us over getting in line at the store, or the neighbor who parks too close to our driveway, or the sales lady with the less-than-friendly demeanor.

If we want to be real examples of Jesus to people, we need to bring our hearts and kindnesses more into our inner circle of personal interaction.

Sam
04-05-2011, 07:49 PM
Romans 8:38-39
38 For I am convinced that neither death nor life, neither angels nor demons, neither the present nor the future, nor any powers, 39 neither height nor depth, nor anything else in all creation, will be able to separate us from the love of God that is in Christ Jesus our Lord.

Virginia
04-05-2011, 07:58 PM
Thank you, Lord, for Christian students who are willing to stand up for You and share their faith! Keep them strong, Lord. They are a light to our dark world.

spiersdodgerblue
04-05-2011, 09:00 PM
I'm reading C.S. Lewis' The Screwtape Letters and something he said struck me.

Sometimes we (meaning, I) spend a lot of time showing compassion and benevolence to people or groups we don't know personally, who are more ideas and generalities to us than anything else - groups of people who are persecuted or treated unfairly or suffering oppression.

And all the while, we don't show that same compassion and benevolence to the people we see every day, who we do know and interact with personally. The guy who almost knocks us over getting in line at the store, or the neighbor who parks too close to our driveway, or the sales lady with the less-than-friendly demeanor.

If we want to be real examples of Jesus to people, we need to bring our hearts and kindnesses more into our inner circle of personal interaction.

Oh yeah great.....We lead a class on the "persecuted church", people we don't know..your right. And in the same breath, I don't even want to look at this ego seeking woman at my own church!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am about to blow it with her (I'm not alone BTW and this is unfortunate by her two of her kids won't even talk to her...it's real sad all the way around) Anyway, I know I need to show more grace to her. It is hard when she is attacking one of our kids in public. I have not said anything yet and really hope I don't have to. I really want to be able to pray for her as much and as truthfully as I do for this group of people I don't know!!!

snooch
04-05-2011, 10:40 PM
Oh yeah great.....We lead a class on the "persecuted church", people we don't know..your right. And in the same breath, I don't even want to look at this ego seeking woman at my own church!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am about to blow it with her (I'm not alone BTW and this is unfortunate by her two of her kids won't even talk to her...it's real sad all the way around) Anyway, I know I need to show more grace to her. It is hard when she is attacking one of our kids in public. I have not said anything yet and really hope I don't have to. I really want to be able to pray for her as much and as truthfully as I do for this group of people I don't know!!!

I think things like this are the hardest part for me. It's like putting my money where my mouth is, and really living what I claim to believe. I fail frequently!! It helps me to understand why non-Christians are so able to see us as hypocrites, because I act as one so often. The passage in the book was a really good reminder to me.

I know how hard it is and you'll be in my prayers! :hug:

spiersdodgerblue
04-05-2011, 11:16 PM
I think things like this are the hardest part for me. It's like putting my money where my mouth is, and really living what I claim to believe. I fail frequently!! It helps me to understand why non-Christians are so able to see us as hypocrites, because I act as one so often. The passage in the book was a really good reminder to me.

I know how hard it is and you'll be in my prayers! :hug:

Thanks. She has effected the whole family this time and we have talked and prayed and we are going to keep each other accountable when we see her Wed. or Sunday. So hoping all will be well. I would like to read where that is. We have the book, can you share with me where it's at and than I will share with the family.

snooch
04-06-2011, 01:45 AM
Thanks. She has effected the whole family this time and we have talked and prayed and we are going to keep each other accountable when we see her Wed. or Sunday. So hoping all will be well. I would like to read where that is. We have the book, can you share with me where it's at and than I will share with the family.

It's in the last couple of pages of Chapter 6. He's talking about how people in England (during WWII) would talk about stringing up the Germans but would give one tea and cigarettes if a wounded German soldier was in their backyard. All the while they don't have a charitable thing to say about their neighbors that they see on a daily basis. He described it as concentric circles going out from people with their own self will in the center.

DIANAC
04-06-2011, 07:02 AM

If what she did is a slander, did you do Matthew 18:15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’?

And this Luke 17: 3 So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.?

Ramura
04-06-2011, 11:26 PM
Isaiah 6: 1-5

"In the year that King Uzziah died I saw the Lord sitting upon a throne, high and lifted up; and the train of his robe filled the temple. Above him stood the seraphim. Each had six wings: with two he covered his face, and with two he covered his feet, and with two he flew. And one called to another and said:

"Holy, holy, holy is the LORD of hosts;(E) the whole earth is full of his glory!"

And the foundations of the thresholds shook at the voice of him who called, and the house was filled with smoke. And I said: "Woe is me! For I am lost; for I am a man of unclean lips, and I dwell in the midst of a people of unclean lips; for my eyes have seen the King, the LORD of hosts!"

John 15:5:

"I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

2 Peter 1:3-4

"His divine power has granted to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of him who called us to his own glory and excellence,by which he has granted to us his precious and very great promises, so that through them you may become partakers of the divine nature, having escaped from the corruption that is in the world because of sinful desire."

Lord, teach us to hate sin. Teach us to be repulsed by it, disgusted by it, loathing it to the point where we cry "woe is me" as Isaiah did when he saw your glory, your holiness, your perfectness. Lord, I admit that I do not fight sin with my whole heart. Too often, my confession of sin is a resigned sigh of self-pity as I reluctantly acknowledge, "Yes, I enjoy this now, but it really isn't good for me in the long run so I'd better stop." NO! This is not how it should be! Lord, take our hearts, our desires, our wills and our passions and conform them into what you will, that we may fight sin because we love you, not because we love ourselves. Help us to be obedient, for apart from you, we can do nothing. You have loved us and given us everything we need to be holy and live a godly life. My heart and my life are yours, Lord. Take them and use them for your glory and pleasure.

Hope
04-07-2011, 10:26 AM
Amazing Bible study last night, leaving me feeling convicted, refreshed, encouraged, and hopeful. :) I am always amazed at the power of God's word.

DIANAC
04-17-2011, 06:30 PM
Today I took Danny, my 4 year old friend shopping for a toy and we went to Toys R Us! As soon as we entered the store, Danny announced that there are so many choices that he does not even know what he wants. So, I suggested that he asks God for a guidance, who will show Danny what would be the right toy to buy. So Danny drops to his knees, right there in the isle of Star Wars toys! He closes his eyes and prays. Shortly after that we found a fireman outfit and Danny immediately knew that he wants it. So, on the way back home holding his present tightly Danny was contemplating how he will be using this costume to save people from fires. So, we decided that just as Christ is saving people from the fires of Hell, so is Danny will be saving people from earthly fires. Amazing childlike faith!

spiersdodgerblue
04-18-2011, 02:10 PM
I pray this truth gets past along.

http://www.worshiphousemedia.com/mini-movies/23698/Follow

spiersdodgerblue
04-18-2011, 03:01 PM
If what she did is a slander, did you do Matthew 18:15 “If your brother or sister sins, go and point out their fault, just between the two of you. If they listen to you, you have won them over. 16 But if they will not listen, take one or two others along, so that ‘every matter may be established by the testimony of two or three witnesses.’?

And this Luke 17: 3 So watch yourselves. “If your brother or sister sins against you, rebuke them; and if they repent, forgive them.?

Yes, we have all met up with one another a few nights ago and both sides agreed to the two people who were to be there as witness'. We all prayed for sometime. I did not say much, except that I wanted peace and that my family not be dragged in (by name) to her family issues . My husband and kids were there, so my husband took the lead in most of the conversation. He is a gentle and God fearing man, he did good. The lady and her husband were there but her grown kids and in-laws would not come and be seated with her or even in the same room. Which we know ahead of time and is indeed very sad. And that is neither here nor there for us (meaning it is out of our control), we just wanted her to stop the harassing emails and gossip and threat to taking things that are not of a church matter to the pastor. If she wants to go to the pastor, by all means go, but don't threaten my family with this as to think we would bend her way. Her husband never said a word. Very sad. My husband asked him a few direct question and the woman jumped in with a reply each time. My husband said later, he did not press the man with any more questions because he seen the man was in agony (which he thought to be shame, he was not sure) She talked a lot but we all left with no change. She had her audience but was not pleased to say the least that none were willing to admit to things that we had no part of. We can do no more.

We have as a family agreed to simply pray for her. We don't see that there is anything else that we can do.

spiersdodgerblue
04-18-2011, 03:42 PM
God's Chisel
http://www.worshiphousemedia.com/mini-movies/20360/Gods-Chisel

Virginia
04-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Your grace is enough...

spiersdodgerblue
04-20-2011, 07:18 PM
Praying for our brother and sisters in Christ in Pakistan!
http://www.mnnonline.org/article/15611

katzankatz
04-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Good Friday service was so good tonight! Looking back last week at how I felt about doing Easter music this year ( I did NOT want to be involved, but had made the comittment and was feeling bitter about it), I now see a little bit bigger picture. Even looking at my family's get-together (that I am missing this weekend) pics on facebook, there is nowhere else I'd rather be than right here where God wanted me all along.

DIANAC
05-20-2011, 08:52 PM
Well, we have to cancel tomorrow's Rapture! Sorry! We have a Bible distribution scheduled for tomorrow and also my cleaning lady is coming tomorrow. Sorry, Camping! No can do!

snooch
05-20-2011, 09:27 PM
Aww man, and I was looking forward to that big feast too :P

DIANAC
08-02-2011, 09:38 PM
Today someone who knows me for a long time said this to me: "you really changed since the early eighties. Now you are a different person, so much better. What happened?". In my flesh I wanted to protest and to reply that I was always a good person. But in the Spirit I said "It's Jesus!". And then I shared my testimony. I thank God for this opportunity to magnify my Jesus. I thank God for the painful sanctification process.

snooch
08-02-2011, 11:38 PM
I hate what I'm going through right now. I would do anything to have God do his spiritual magic and make it all go away. But as I'm going through it, I am seeing the similarities to what a friend who is seeking Christ is going through, and I am able to use my experience to hopefully light a path for her. And, as I'm going through it, I am seeing the similarities to what another friend is going through, and I am able to draw on her experiences to help me with my own.

Three women, going through different things but with similar lessons, one I can help, one who helps me. I hate what I am going through, but I (admittedly, reluctantly... need help and prayers with this) praise God for the opportunity to learn, and the opportunity to help. Romans 8:28. It all works for good.

katzankatz
08-07-2011, 03:46 PM
Just finished Erasing Hell by Francis Chan. I went into it with the thought that I was going to do some reading on the doctrine of hell. The book's introduction states that the authors do not wish their readers to read the book to simply read about doctrine. Ok. Simple enough to change my mindset. I still wanted to read it. It turns out that this book spoke to some issues that I have been feeling convicted about lately, and then today's sermon at church spoke to those issues as well.

I think Somone has been "speaking" to me:). This is a humbling thought.

katzankatz
09-10-2011, 05:11 PM
As I am reading through the Old Testament in chronological order this year I am struck by the vast mercy and grace of God. It's a common thought that the "God of the Old Testament" is stern and vengeful while Jesus in the New Testament is more loving and tolerant. I never knew what to think about this argument until I began to read the OT for myself. Over and over and over again God was merciful, and gracious when he had every right, as God, to wipe those Israelites off the face of the earth for their disobedience and idolatry. They did some really awful things. But thankfully he did not and through those people came our Savior!

snooch
09-10-2011, 05:18 PM
As I am reading through the Old Testament in chronological order this year I am struck by the vast mercy and grace of God. It's a common thought that the "God of the Old Testament" is stern and vengeful while Jesus in the New Testament is more loving and tolerant. I never knew what to think about this argument until I began to read the OT for myself. Over and over and over again God was merciful, and gracious when he had every right, as God, to wipe those Israelites off the face of the earth for their disobedience and idolatry. They did some really awful things. But thankfully he did not and through those people came our Savior!

I have felt the same way, Lucy. I also am doing a chronological read through the OT and it has put some events into a context that I never really understood before. I see the repeated pattern Israel had of following God, drifting away, following nearby nations and their idols/gods, then crying out to God again, and every time this pattern repeated, God was there. Even when he sent them all to Babylon and scattered them throughout the nations, he still had mercy on them. This resonates to me with how things still are today with every one of us, and how God is still always there, waiting for us to come back so he can show us mercy again.

katzankatz
09-10-2011, 06:03 PM
I agree.

Jesus is the same God of the OT. I can't wait to get to the NT and see how this all plays out.

I've tried to read the OT before but always got hung up in the Samuel/King/Chronicles books because I didn't realize that many events overlap in this book, and it was confusing. And forget about the prophetic books - made so sense whatsover. Now I'm reading the prophetic book that coincides with the historical book, and the Psalm that goes with such-and-such event. It's pretty neat.

snooch
09-10-2011, 06:09 PM
It really is neat. Being able to read chronologically has made the OT so much clearer to me. I had the same problem in SamuelKings/Chronicles and even Psalms, and with the prophets, and now I don't think I'll ever be able to read through the OT any other way again. My plan starts the NT on Oct 1, and I'm really looking forward to it :)

Manna
09-10-2011, 06:26 PM
I love that, lucy, and completely agree. It's easy to look at verses that have been plucked out of context and see God as a vengeful dictator. But that's not Him at all!! He has never changed, and all it takes is us seeking Him out to learn that!!! How cool!! =)

I've got a chronological Bible that I've never used before, I may have to pull it out! I've studied the OT pretty in depth, and understand the time line (I agree that it can be VERY confusing the way everything overlaps!), but I've never just read it in order! I'm intrigued! =)

snooch
09-10-2011, 11:30 PM
I think you'll like it, Manna. I mean, it might be because I'm still kinda sorta (not really but kinda?) a newish Christian at 7 years now, but all the OT studies I've done before have either been one book here, one book there, or a straight read-through start to finish, and I have never just gotten it like I am with the chronological study.

Virginia
09-11-2011, 07:01 PM
There is truly no one like our God. All the counterfeit gods don't even compare.

Sam
09-11-2011, 09:43 PM
I think you'll like it, Manna. I mean, it might be because I'm still kinda sorta (not really but kinda?) a newish Christian at 7 years now, but all the OT studies I've done before have either been one book here, one book there, or a straight read-through start to finish, and I have never just gotten it like I am with the chronological study.

I have been thinking about doing the chronological study next year. I gotta say I am really happy to report that I have stuck with the Bible reading plan this year and have experienced such spiritual growth its just so awesome!

DIANAC
09-12-2011, 06:54 PM
I am keeping up despite one major event that happened this summer which took all my time!;)
This is not the first time that I am reading the entire Bible through and in one year. But each time I am gleaning something new. This time I understood duplicity of Job's friends. You could hear the intonation of their voices between the lines. And I also hear myself sometimes talking like them. Lord have mercy! And out of his intense sufferings, Job conceived a notion that there has to be a Redeemer and there has to be life after death. Sometimes we need to suffer and God allows those times so that a precious truth gets carved out of that. In the beginning of the book Job was known as righteous man. But now we talk about Patience of Job. And patience is one slice of the Fruit of the Spirit!

Sam
10-14-2011, 06:33 PM
God, you are so good!

DIANAC
10-15-2011, 07:32 AM
Our souls may lose their peace and even disturb other people's, if we are always criticizing trivial actions which often are not real defects at all, but we construe them wrongly through our ignorance of their motives. ... Teresa of Avila (1515-1582), The Interior Castle [1577]

Brothers, do not slander one another. Anyone who speaks against his brother or judges him speaks against the law and judges it. When you judge the law, you are not keeping it, but sitting in judgment on it. --James 4:11 (NIV)

My RT: Speaking less of others and more of Jesus.

katzankatz
10-16-2011, 11:00 PM
"You can endure almost anything if you know Jesus is sitting next to you imparting help and hope."

Joni Earikson Tada

snooch
10-17-2011, 01:17 AM
"You can endure almost anything if you know Jesus is sitting next to you imparting help and hope."

Joni Earikson Tada

Lucy, it's so funny you posted this. In the middle of not being able to fall asleep due to anxiety, I started thinking about Jesus being with me all the time, and how often I forget that. I started thinking how differently I would feel and react if I really remembered that he was right there next to me, when I'm feeling sad, when I'm scared, when I'm doing something I shouldn't be... he's sitting right next to me. I'm never alone. It brought home in a real way what, "Keep your eyes on Jesus" means. If I remembered that, even if I just envision him next to me in those moments, my life would be so different.

katzankatz
10-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Something I heard in a sermon a long time ago - I wasn't sure about the truth of the statement at the time, but I have always remembered it for some reason. Basically the speaker said that if there is something in your life that you are idolizing, something that you are making more important than God, God, being a jealous God will want that time and attention that you are giving the other thing (obviously). Then, to get you to come back to Him, He will allow/cause whatever it is to become a frustration and nuisance to you instead of an object of your enjoyment and attention.

Not sure if this is stated in scripture, but I think there is a ring of truth to it. God does let us go our own way when we choose to. But ultimately those things don't fulfill the longings of our heart like God does, and we are "forced' back to him, right where he wants us and where we really are happier.

I just thought of this because I've been spending more time doing silly stuff than being serious about life and what really matters.

Time to get back to the Bible and see what God has for me.

GM
10-21-2011, 11:41 PM
Something I heard in a sermon a long time ago - I wasn't sure about the truth of the statement at the time, but I have always remembered it for some reason. Basically the speaker said that if there is something in your life that you are idolizing, something that you are making more important than God, God, being a jealous God will want that time and attention that you are giving the other thing (obviously). Then, to get you to come back to Him, He will allow/cause whatever it is to become a frustration and nuisance to you instead of an object of your enjoyment and attention.

Not sure if this is stated in scripture, but I think there is a ring of truth to it. God does let us go our own way when we choose to. But ultimately those things don't fulfill the longings of our heart like God does, and we are "forced' back to him, right where he wants us and where we really are happier.

I just thought of this because I've been spending more time doing silly stuff than being serious about life and what really matters.

i was thinking about during vacation! I think Beth Moore once said something similar :) I'm in the process of 'reorganizing' my life to apply that :)

DIANAC
10-22-2011, 10:02 AM

James 4
4 You adulterous people, don’t you know that friendship with the world means enmity against God? Therefore, anyone who chooses to be a friend of the world becomes an enemy of God. 5 Or do you think Scripture says without reason that he jealously longs for the spirit he has caused to dwell in us? 6 But he gives us more grace.

Sam
10-22-2011, 10:27 AM
I think its a good illustration of the Prodigal Son. I mean, what he wanted most, what he left home for, just about killed him. It made him realize how much better he had it at home where he belonged.

DIANAC
10-22-2011, 11:07 AM
Good point, Sam!

Virginia
10-22-2011, 03:58 PM
The joy of the Lord is our strength. We get strength from living for Him and pleasing Him.

Sam
11-15-2011, 07:37 PM
It makes me so sad when I hear about someone who claims to be a Christian, who believes in God, but has absolutely no desire to have a relationhip with him. She keeps Him up in a box on the shelf until there is an emergency then she calls on him. She has many blessings in her life, more than most people, and she attributes to her working hard, that she is self made, God didn't have much to do with it.
If you keep God in a box, he'll stay there, but you miss out on so much. :(

Ramura
11-17-2011, 04:37 PM
"I want to thank you, Lord, for being patient with me
It's so hard to see
When my eyes are on me . . ."

A line from a Keith Green song I was listening to this morning. Kinda hit me hard.

spiersdodgerblue
11-24-2011, 04:39 AM
1 Corinthians 2:9 – 10 “However, as it is written: "No eye has seen, no ear has heard, no mind has conceived what God has prepared for those who love him, but God has revealed it to us by his Spirit. The Spirit searches all things, even the deep things of God.”

Sam
12-01-2011, 09:57 AM
I am learning that with each step we take we make decisions. We can either do things that are wrong, "justified", right, or holy. Anyone can make the first 3 but its the Holy one that sets us apart. Its the hardest to see and the hardest to do but it is what God calls us to do.

Sam
12-01-2011, 10:00 AM
^^ and if that makes absolutely no sense its because I am still working it out in my head. :P

DIANAC
12-01-2011, 12:53 PM
I am learning that with each step we take we make decisions. We can either do things that are wrong, "justified", right, or holy. Anyone can make the first 3 but its the Holy one that sets us apart. Its the hardest to see and the hardest to do but it is what God calls us to do.

It makes a perfect sense. In other words, Life is a training process. In everything we do we can learn something, have an opportunity to make a right decision, to love more, to sin less, or to consider my wants less. I am learning that in everything, not only in big things, but even in small and insignificant ones to ask the Lord what I should do. And that is what helps me to learn the holy ways of God.

rvshdw
12-01-2011, 06:22 PM
Lord, I know your there in the still quietness.
My eyes can't see you, sometimes they search for a hint of you
but I sensed you here beside me last night to calm my fears and
dry my tears.

JESUS is GOOD!!!!! :)

Sam
12-02-2011, 02:38 PM
It makes a perfect sense. In other words, Life is a training process. In everything we do we can learn something, have an opportunity to make a right decision, to love more, to sin less, or to consider my wants less. I am learning that in everything, not only in big things, but even in small and insignificant ones to ask the Lord what I should do. And that is what helps me to learn the holy ways of God.

Thanks, LOL God and His sense of humor made me realize that before I had even had my coffee.
I had realized that something I was doing may have been justified, and some of it may have been right, but it was not Holy. I thought being right was being holy, what I didn't understand what the heart of it. I may have been doing the right thing (praying for those who have hurt me) but I was grumbling as I did it, and I did not want to do it. I needed a major attitude adjustment, and I fear its one I am going to need over and over and over again in my life. That just makes me that much more thankful for God's grace. :)

spiersdodgerblue
12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Thanks, LOL God and His sense of humor made me realize that before I had even had my coffee.
I had realized that something I was doing may have been justified, and some of it may have been right, but it was not Holy. I thought being right was being holy, what I didn't understand what the heart of it. I may have been doing the right thing (praying for those who have hurt me) but I was grumbling as I did it, and I did not want to do it. I needed a major attitude adjustment, and I fear its one I am going to need over and over and over again in my life. That just makes me that much more thankful for God's grace. :)
We all need an attitude adjustment Sam. Very good points! I am thankful for His continuous Grace also.

Sam
12-02-2011, 03:29 PM
Thanks, SDB. Thing is, I was letting my pain from the past get in the way of happy news from 2 relatives. I did pray for God's blessing for them but like I said it was begrudgingly, I grumbled and whined and still just could not make myself be happy for them. It still is kinda hard but I have just chosen to congratulate both of them and I am just really trying not to focus on the sour grapes. :/

spiersdodgerblue
12-02-2011, 03:59 PM
It's hard to deal with our human side at times. We have to make a practice in our life at humility moment to moment.

DIANAC
12-02-2011, 05:05 PM

I just cleaned the kitchen table from today's Bible study and put some handouts in the garbage, thinking that I know this material and that I do not need it anymore. But after reading your post, I went down to the kitchen and took that sheet from the garbage (it was a clean recycling garbage). In this study we were talking about how quickly we sometimes say that we have forgiven this one and that one, but we have no clue what that means.
Col 3:12 Therefore, as God’s chosen people, holy and dearly loved, clothe yourselves with compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. 13 Bear with each other and forgive one another if any of you has a grievance against someone. Forgive as the Lord forgave you. 14 And over all these virtues put on love, which binds them all together in perfect unity.
So, forgiveness has 5 elements : compassion, kindness, humility, gentleness and patience. And those things we have to cloth ourselves with daily or sometimes hour by hour. We have to practice those things. We have to perfect those things. And .... patience by definition is a long-term developable virtue. You need a long time to be patient, to show patience and to practice patience. So, to truly forgive, we need a long time, sometimes a very long time.

DIANAC
12-02-2011, 05:08 PM
Sam, so the Spirit was teaching you and me the same thing today. Actually, our Bible study was for an older man, a new believer, who is struggling with un-forgiveness.

DIANAC
12-02-2011, 05:51 PM
Sam, one more thing. I had one guy who worked for me years ago. He was a jolly type who played Santa each Christmas. But his favorite saying was very un-Santa-like, it was "I forgive, but I do not forget". I lost contact with him. People were saying that he was bitter against his ex co-workers and did not want to see anyone. Now I hear that his memory is faulty and that he has one of the old-people illnesses. Is it possible that the unforgiveness, which he stored as bitter memories in his brain, destroyed his brain? I know that this could be a stretch. But some even insist that there is a connection between spiritual sins and physical ailments. I find it that it is very important to forgive "from the heart".

DIANAC
01-12-2012, 08:35 AM
Sometimes God brings up things from the past, an old post card, a piece of paper with something scribbled on it. Each time I come across one of those I wonder what is it that the Lord wants me to remember. Yesterday as I was cleaning my files I found an old letter written by my son to his great-grandmother. After her death those letters and cards were returned to us. I read it and on the back I saw my handwriting. The letter was written in the early 90s. In it I shared with my grandmother that I just received a big promotion and that as long as I have my health I can do it. And then I realized how foolish I was. Shortly after that I was diagnosed with breast cancer. God shook my pillar of strength to help me to realize that He is my pillar. That breast cancer was a huge boost in my walk with Christ. God was so merciful as He walked me through that valley, gave me a healing, healed my soul and revealed to me new and wonderful things of Christ.
Now, 20 years later I learned to say " I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13.

DIANAC
01-13-2012, 11:16 PM
God is so near.

Sam
01-20-2012, 11:56 AM
Thank you, God for guiding me out of a really yucky situation that had been just dragging me down.

DIANAC
01-22-2012, 08:58 AM
I am taking a break from my pain to share this.
Yesterday morning during our Gideon prayer meeting, one of the prayer requests was for the increased opportunities to share God's word. I responded to it and prayed about that. 3 hours after the end of that meeting as I was cleaning my house, a perfect thing to do on a snowy day when hubby is not home, I slipped and fell on my newly washed steps. In pain I was taken to the Medical Facility, where it was determined that I don't have any injuries, talked to Radiologist about faith and got a permission from my doctor to give Bibles to each person on their staff.

Thank You! I pray that each Bible that hubby will deliver today will produce a rich harvest!

Sam
01-22-2012, 11:04 AM
That is awesome! Diana, but I will be praying that you heal quickly. I'm sorry you are in pain! :(
Its an embodiment of Romans 8:28 And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.

DIANAC
01-22-2012, 11:10 AM
Thank you for your very needed prayers, Sam!

snooch
01-22-2012, 12:45 PM
Diana, I'm so sorry for the pain you are in, and really pretty awed that in the middle of that, you were still sharing God's word. You acted very faithfully and are much braver than I am. I almost always ask God to be very gentle with me when he's answering prayers and teaching me lessons! Praying for you to heal quickly. :hug:

DIANAC
01-22-2012, 01:43 PM
snooch, I was thinking about that as well, the part of being gentle.....He is sovereign, and knows better in what situation I "belong" in. In the mean time I am learning to let others to take care of me. And....today I was expecting alot of people over and I made alot of food. So, we will have that dinner and others will be taking over in my kitchen. He knows what He us doing. I appreciate your prayers!!!!!

snooch
02-01-2012, 07:40 PM
I am feeling a little like Jonah today, and really hoping God doesn't decide to throw me inside a whale :(

DIANAC
02-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I am feeling a little like Jonah today, and really hoping God doesn't decide to throw me inside a whale :(
That's so funny! I know it's a serious matter, but they way you said it, it's funny!
So, it's sackcloth and ashes day!

snooch
02-03-2012, 04:14 PM
That's so funny! I know it's a serious matter, but they way you said it, it's funny!
So, it's sackcloth and ashes day!

There is nothing more true than "You can't run away from God" LOL.

Sam
02-03-2012, 04:31 PM
There is nothing more true than "You can't run away from God" LOL.

I heard that!

Ms_Tex
02-07-2012, 05:19 PM
Are we to 'forget' what others do to us when we forgive them???

Some say I haven't truly forgiven my parents because I won't call my dad today (his birthday), but I just don't want to deal with my mother and any snide remarks she might make. :sigh:

BelovedDaughter
02-07-2012, 06:08 PM
I'm learning, albeit very slowly, that forgiving doesn't mean you must forget. :hug: Sorry for what you're going through, MsTex.

snooch
02-07-2012, 07:25 PM
I think you can still forgive, without putting yourself back into hurtful or harmful situations. I've forgiven the guy who raped me, but that doesn't mean I'd go have lunch with him, you know? You're allowed to protect yourself from your mother's emotional damage, and it doesn't mean you haven't forgiven them. :hug:

DIANAC
02-07-2012, 11:21 PM
True, what everyone said. Forgiving means that you are no longer desiring a revenge. Ms_Tex, do you have to talk to your mother? Can you only talk to your father today and wish him well?

Ms_Tex
02-07-2012, 11:43 PM
I have reached out to them during the past couple of years, but they don't answer my calls or return my calls or emails. They didn't even tell me when my dad was in the hospital for another back surgery. Sadly, I don't think my dad is 'allowed' to talk to me without incurring the wrath of my mother. I did send him an email wishing him a happy birthday and telling him we (my husband and I) love him, but I didn't receive any reply.

When I mentioned snide remarks from my mother, that is how she spoke to me when she did speak to me in the past, and it's something I'm reluctent to deal with now.

Rainbow Flower
02-12-2012, 05:42 AM
Ms Tex, I'm sorry you're cut off contact with your father. That's so sad.

Sam
02-21-2012, 10:19 AM
I heard something yesterday that has really made me think about my situation here lately.
"You can't build spiritual muscle without bearing some weight"
Maybe this is why I am going through what I have been going through, but instead of just giving into it, or giving up, I need to bear the weight and let it strengthen me. I said in the prayer request thread that I believe God wants me to be fit both physically and spiritually, maybe this is spiritual resistance training or something. lol. I don't know but the past 2 days I have really surprised myself with how much I have been able to handle.

Hope
02-21-2012, 04:15 PM
I'm really struggling with the concept of grace. Growing up in my particular denomination and family, it was a meaningless word; being a Christian was all about behavior. I have a really hard time shaking that belief. I can't quite find myself worthy of forgiveness or love right now.

snooch
02-21-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm really struggling with the concept of grace. Growing up in my particular denomination and family, it was a meaningless word; being a Christian was all about behavior. I have a really hard time shaking that belief. I can't quite find myself worthy of forgiveness or love right now.

You're not alone in this struggle.

Sam
02-21-2012, 05:59 PM
No, not alone at all. It is a tough concept to grasp, I don't think any one will fully understand it thisside of Heaven.

Virginia
02-21-2012, 08:13 PM
Loving others as Christ loved us is so hard because He loves us even when we don't love Him back.

Sam
02-22-2012, 09:19 AM
I just need to get this down:
Its no longer ok for me to live a small life. Raising my daughter, and serving my husband, is by no means small, it is a great life. But just survivning the day, just doing the bare minimum, just doing what I need to do to keep everyone alive, so to speak, is. I am called to be the heart of the home, and for so long, I have not been. I have been irritable, angry, tired, complacent, and I have longed for something more, but did nothing to make it anything more.
If I don't like something about my life, myself, then I need to do everything I can to fix it, and trust God for the rest. God is faithful and if I do my part and trust in Him to do His, he will always exceed my wildest expectations. God has a plan for me, and its not a small life. God never plans small lives for His daughters.
There is so much that I need to learn, so much that I need to make myself aware of, so much that I can no longer ignore, so much I need to put behind me. So much ahead of me!

And if thats not a totally random spiritual thought, I don't know what is! :P

Sam
03-01-2012, 09:40 AM
These 3 songs represent exactly how my journey in Faith feel like these days. I love Jason Gray.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=endscreen&v=6rzOdXJu5UA&NR=1
Jason Gray - Remind Me Who I Am - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKyY8zfjBMQ&ob=av2e)
The End Of Me - Official Lyric Video - Jason Gray - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxNo7fT0nx8)

I especially love the video to "Remind Me Who I Am"

katzankatz
03-12-2012, 09:42 PM
In yesterday's sermon and Life group time the theme was the life of Joseph. A common phrase in the story of Joseph in the book of Genesis kept popping up: "...but God was with Joseph". You can see this in the way that God made him to succeed in all he did. I'm sure amidst all of his trials there must have been times he did not feel like anyone was on his side. But there God was the whole time. It's easier to look back at trials and see how God was with us that it is when we are deep in the thick of it.

So today while I was required to do something extremely outside of my comfort zone, I was able to bring the story of Joseph to mind. My trials are not even in the same realm as what he experienced, but the truth is the same for me as it was for him. God was with me. It really helped me get through the day! Can't say I'm exactly excited about doing the same thing tomorrow, and I'm glad that they've said it'll be a short morning. But I will remember how God helped me yesterday.

Sam
03-21-2012, 06:02 PM
I just need to get this down:
Its no longer ok for me to live a small life. Raising my daughter, and serving my husband, is by no means small, it is a great life. But just survivning the day, just doing the bare minimum, just doing what I need to do to keep everyone alive, so to speak, is. I am called to be the heart of the home, and for so long, I have not been. I have been irritable, angry, tired, complacent, and I have longed for something more, but did nothing to make it anything more.
If I don't like something about my life, myself, then I need to do everything I can to fix it, and trust God for the rest. God is faithful and if I do my part and trust in Him to do His, he will always exceed my wildest expectations. God has a plan for me, and its not a small life. God never plans small lives for His daughters.
There is so much that I need to learn, so much that I need to make myself aware of, so much that I can no longer ignore, so much I need to put behind me. So much ahead of me!

And if thats not a totally random spiritual thought, I don't know what is! :P

I just needed to remind myself of this.

Virginia
03-21-2012, 07:44 PM
God can truly use anyone and change anyone's heart. Nothing is impossible for Him.

Sam
03-23-2012, 09:44 AM
Do you ever wonder what you would do if you lived in Jesus' lifetime and met him? Would you follow him or would you think he was a crazy guy? Something I have been pondering on. I can say that I would follow him, of course but who really knows?

Sam
03-23-2012, 09:56 AM
One more thought: I wonder how many people claimed to be the Messiah before Jesus was even born? Kind of like all the cult leaders who claim to be Jesus? You know how we just kind of roll our eyes at them and think of how sad it is that people are getting sucked in to that, I wonder if people thought that way about Jesus.

snooch
03-23-2012, 11:30 AM
There were a lot of false messiahs before Jesus that steered people away from the truth. It's such an interesting question you bring up Sam, because I tend to be so cynical and questioning of everything all the time. I don't know if I would have followed him. I hope that God would show me the truth in response to my doubts while I sincerely searched for him, but in those times... it's so hard to say. I hope so, is the best I can do.

It brings up the other end of the spectrum too. If we are still alive during the pre-wrath part of the great tribulation (I believe we will be - I don't believe in a pre-tribulation rapture) when so much is going wrong in the world, the antichrist is fooling people and being loved and adored by the entire world, there is peace in Israel from his actions, and everything that will be happening during that time... will I recognize the signs? Will I see the truth? Will I stand strong when everyone around me wants to persecute me for my faith? Again, I hope so.

katzankatz
04-02-2012, 12:28 AM
So, I've done a lot of griping and complaing about church related things today. I tend to get offended and really defensive when people say things about our church that are wrong, or when people just choose not to go, or don't participate, or they decide to switch memberships to another church. I always think how nuts people are that they'd go elsewhere or skip or be rude about church.

Then today, again the sermon spoke to me regrding this, I think. (Sermons have been really spot on for me lately:)). It was about God's law, specifically the 10 Commandments. Why God gave them to the Israelites, how we can apply them today, and many other things. I didn't take notes today but wish I had.

The pastor briefly went over each commandment and explained what they mean and gave practical applications. Right away at Commandment 1 I was convicted. Not word for word, but the pastor said "Anything that you make more important in your life than God, like you spouse, your kids, your job, your church, you are making that thing your god." I think I have made my church a little god.

I love my church and still don't want to go to any other one:P, but... I see some idolatry in my life. It makes me judgmental and anxious to think the things I do. It's more God's business than mine to determine how he works through all the local churches of the world.

I'm not sure how to work this out. I think it's good to be dedicated to your local church, but maybe not good to be so dedicated that you can't imagine yourself anywhere else.

So yeah. Not sure what my point is, except I think God spoke to me today.

One good thing is that I'm able to suck it up about missing Easter next Sunday at my own church.

Sam
04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
"My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect through weakness"

What does that mean, really? I know that we don't know exactly what Paul's thorn was but we know that its something God would not take away. So when we are struggling with something that just will not change, how does God's grace work? Is it just that we are forgiven even for things we just can't seem to stop struggling with? Does it mean that God's power and grace can give us the strength to overcome these battles? What if you just can't do it? What if you try and try and you do so well for a while but then one stumble and you fall 10 times worse? How does God's grace work then? If that's not weakness I don't know what is.

Just something my tiny mind can not wrap around this morning. I need to figure out how to use what I am going through right now for God's glory. I know already that this has taught me to have compassion on people I never thought I could have compassion for, I just feel like this goes so much deeper than that.

Sam
04-11-2012, 10:41 AM
My neighbor yesterday told me that we are supposed to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, but that I don't love myself so how can I do any good for anybody else? That was pretty painful to hear but at the same time I know I needed to hear it. She told me a lot of things yesterday that really opened my eyes but I just don't know what to do with all of it.

snooch
04-11-2012, 11:08 AM
My neighbor yesterday told me that we are supposed to love our neighbors as we love ourselves, but that I don't love myself so how can I do any good for anybody else? That was pretty painful to hear but at the same time I know I needed to hear it. She told me a lot of things yesterday that really opened my eyes but I just don't know what to do with all of it.

My therapist has said this to me many times. I also just read something that an online friend wrote this week that hit on these points. I'm in the same boat, knowing I need to hear it, feeling enlightened by it, but not really knowing where to go from here with the information. I guess when I'm unsure where to go, I should go to prayer.

DIANAC
04-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Something is awfully wrong with this.
In the second commandment It is presumed that self-love is given. We love ourselves such that we cloth our bodies, buy shoes for our feet, feed ourselves, buy nice houses and cars for ourselves, etc. It comes naturally to us. There is no theology here. What your neighbor perhaps means is that we might not like ourselves, or we might dislike certain traits of ours, or even we condemn ourselves for something. Continual self-condemnation or self-accusation is of the Devil who is the Accuser of Brethren. More-over, I for example would like to be a slightly taller than 5-feet-nothin, that I am. But if I focus too much on my slight stature, then I make too much of myself. That means that I love myself too much or I think too highly of myself such that I want to be a perfect height. But didn't God make me the way I am? Does my eternal destiny depend on how I look? Can God accomplish His will in my life despite my height. So, the problem is not that we do not love ourselves, but that we love ourselves toooo much. Sometimes I question things that the modern psychology teaches.

But the original point that your neighbor was making is how to properly love our neighbors.
The first commandment"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" is the basis of the second commandment to love your neighbor. The second commandment is a visible expression of the first commandment. It's like this. If make God the focus of my life, then I will know how to seek my own good properly, and that will be a pattern on how to love my neighbor.

snooch
04-12-2012, 12:56 AM
You've given me a lot to think about Diana.

Virginia
04-12-2012, 09:34 AM
There is freedom and grace in Christ, not condemnation...I am so thankful for His mercy, grace, and love.

Sam
04-12-2012, 01:14 PM
Something is awfully wrong with this.
In the second commandment It is presumed that self-love is given. We love ourselves such that we cloth our bodies, buy shoes for our feet, feed ourselves, buy nice houses and cars for ourselves, etc. It comes naturally to us. There is no theology here. What your neighbor perhaps means is that we might not like ourselves, or we might dislike certain traits of ours, or even we condemn ourselves for something. Continual self-condemnation or self-accusation is of the Devil who is the Accuser of Brethren. More-over, I for example would like to be a slightly taller than 5-feet-nothin, that I am. But if I focus too much on my slight stature, then I make too much of myself. That means that I love myself too much or I think too highly of myself such that I want to be a perfect height. But didn't God make me the way I am? Does my eternal destiny depend on how I look? Can God accomplish His will in my life despite my height. So, the problem is not that we do not love ourselves, but that we love ourselves toooo much. Sometimes I question things that the modern psychology teaches.

But the original point that your neighbor was making is how to properly love our neighbors.
The first commandment"Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind" is the basis of the second commandment to love your neighbor. The second commandment is a visible expression of the first commandment. It's like this. If make God the focus of my life, then I will know how to seek my own good properly, and that will be a pattern on how to love my neighbor.
Thank you Diana for giving me more to think about on this subject. I will come back in a bit to expand on it.

DIANAC
04-12-2012, 03:52 PM
"My grace is sufficient for you, my power is made perfect through weakness"

What does that mean, really? I know that we don't know exactly what Paul's thorn was but we know that its something God would not take away. So when we are struggling with something that just will not change, how does God's grace work? Is it just that we are forgiven even for things we just can't seem to stop struggling with? Does it mean that God's power and grace can give us the strength to overcome these battles? What if you just can't do it? What if you try and try and you do so well for a while but then one stumble and you fall 10 times worse? How does God's grace work then? If that's not weakness I don't know what is.

Just something my tiny mind can not wrap around this morning. I need to figure out how to use what I am going through right now for God's glory. I know already that this has taught me to have compassion on people I never thought I could have compassion for, I just feel like this goes so much deeper than that.
I been thinking about this verse for a few years now. By now I have certain "handles" on it. My take on this verse is like this.

Graceless response to a certain thing that I am struggling with would be: "They drove me to this. If they did not act like idiots, I would not had to do what I did. But I did it, and they deserved it. And I am going to do it again, if they continue acting like fools".
But if His Grace is upon you, your response is: "I failed. Again! Lord, I need your help. How long will I continue failing you? Where is that strength that you promised? Come to my aid!"

I want to suggest something. How does Grace work in salvation? It is drawing a person to Him. It is leading us to salvation. Sometimes it takes many years for us to respond. It is the same way in sanctification. Something that we consider a failure is an opportunity for a growth. It is how our "christian muscle" gets exercised.

Sam
04-12-2012, 04:31 PM
I needed that today, Diana, thank you!

Sam
04-16-2012, 10:39 AM
I know you got this God, so I am not even going to stress about it.

Sam
04-24-2012, 10:20 AM
The Lord is my shepherd,
I shall not want,
He makes me lie down in green pastures,
He leads me beside still waters,
He restores my soul.
He guides me on the path or righteousness for His name sake.
Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death,
I will fear no evil for You are with me.
Your rod and your staff they comfort me.
You prepare a table before me,
In the presence of my enemies,
You annoint my head with oil,
My cup overflows.
Surely goodness and love will follow me,
all the days of my life and I will dwell in the house of the Lord forever.
Amen

Christina
04-24-2012, 10:32 AM
My RST:

Last week I came back from Australia and as I was sitting on the plane during the sunrise, a thought came to me. It was cloudy beneath us and I couldn't see the sea and I couldn't see LA when we got over it...but above the clouds it was brilliantly sunny. The captain announced that it was going to be cloudy today in LA but I could see no trace of that at 40 thousand feet in the air.

So I thought...God's light is always shining. Our lives may be clouded over with problems, with pollution, with all kinds of crap but above all that, God and His light are still there. It never goes dim and it never goes away. There may be night, but the Son is always there. Above the clouds, the sun or the moon is always shining, non stop, no questions asked. So it is with God. Just as we do not have years of cloudy days only, we will not have years of cloudy spiritual days either. We will have days when little rays of light shine through, and other days that are bright and sunny, and very few days where it is bright and sunny all the way through without something clouding the view even for a moment. But the sun will always be there. We can choose to hide from it by closing our spiritual shades and hiding away, thus limiting the blessing we receive from it. But we cannot deny that it is always there.

judy02
04-26-2012, 03:32 PM
never mind...

Virginia
04-28-2012, 04:48 PM
Thank you, Lord, for being constant and faithful.

katzankatz
04-28-2012, 06:06 PM
^Amen^. It's the most foundational truths about God that we take for granted the most, such as his faithfulness and constance.

Sam
07-24-2012, 08:59 PM
Just breathe and trust in Him..... Just breathe and trust in Him.

Sam
08-05-2012, 01:53 PM
[COLOR="Black"][B]For the past 3 weeks or so I have been waking up with this song in my head, literally 2 or 3 mornings a week. Its really been what I have needed to hear too. I don't know what God is doing in my life but I do know that He is with me. I am so thankful to KNOW that. I don't think I could have survived some of the things I have been through in my life if i didn't believe in Him whole heartedly.

ETA: I have no idea why it is not posting but the song is "Walk by Faith" by Jeremy Camp

Virginia
08-05-2012, 08:52 PM
I LOVE that song! :)

snooch
09-06-2012, 09:32 PM
I have no control over anything. I may think I'm controlling something, but I'm fooling myself. It's all good because God's in control, so I don't have to be.

Sam
09-12-2012, 12:41 PM
God closes doors no man can open, and opens doors no man can close. I amaze myself with how many times I run right into a door I know God has closed, how many times I have tried to force it to open. I can't open it, God has closed it, for a reason. I have been so focused on the door that is closed that I have completely ignored the one standing open. What I have had to do, is cover that door with a curtain, put a table and plants in front of it so I don't even see the door, out of sight out of mind. It has worked, but I still haven't paid attention to the open door. I think I might be afraid of it, or too stubborn to admit that God's will for me is for the best.
One day I will forget the closed door even exists, and will be able to walk boldy through the open door, or perhaps, I will walk through the open door without even realizing it.

Probably made no sense lol but it does to me. :P

snooch
09-12-2012, 02:36 PM
^^ That made complete sense to me :hug:

judy02
09-12-2012, 06:48 PM
When I've gotton down and depressed about certain friends no longer making an effort to see me, or to be there for me during a time of need, God often seems to provide me with people and new friends who are there for me, and take the time to make an effort to help me in whatever way they can in life, thus restoring my confidence in God's ability to work through other people and to bless friendships with others.

Thank you Lord for the good friends I do have!

Must always try to remember, quality is much more important than quantity. I've felt incredibly blessed by a certain thoughtful friend today :)

Sam
09-14-2012, 11:54 PM
I was making Cassy's bed and I found a note card with Scriptures on each side. Its a note card I wrote YEARS ago, and I wrote a lot of them but this is the only one I have seen in forever. It has survived 3 moves. One one side is the "Love" verses, and on the other side is Jer. 29:11. I thought it was pretty amazing, and I think I will leave it in her bed, I can't think of better Scriptures to sleep with!

Virginia
09-15-2012, 01:17 PM
God loves us as we are... while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us, and we are FREE from sin in Him! Amen, hallelujah, thank you, Jesus! We are not bound by the chains of sin. And no matter what we do, He loves us. I don't feel deserving of such a love (I know I am NOT deserving), but I am so thankful for it.

Sam
09-27-2012, 11:33 PM
So many things in my life have been clearly orchestrated by God, and they did not come easy. They came after serious trials and hardships. Yet when trials and harships come my way my faith always struggles. You would think by now I would just trust in Him and know that He knows what He is doing.

I don't know why but tonight one of the God things I am most thankful for is that my brother is my neighbor. We are not close, really, but it is a comfort having him so close.

Sam
10-23-2012, 07:58 PM
You know what is so awesome about Jesus? When I feel like I have nothing to offer but weakness, failure, and despair, he tells me "Hey! Don't worry! I got this! My grace is sufficient for you! My power is made perfect through weakness!"
What a wonderful reminder when nothing seems to go right and you have the weight of the world on your shoulders.

Sam
11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Wow, I am not worried, panicking or stressing about money. I should be, this is the check that is always the smallest (and it is, super small), with the longest to go before we get paid again, not to mention its close to that time of the month and I usually am psycho anyway. I usually start the panic party around the 13th and end up losing my ever lovin mind on the 15th when I have to figure out how to stretch what we have, but I am at peace. That is a total God thing, total God thing.

Virginia
12-24-2012, 02:07 AM
http://www.itakejoy.com/mentoring-monday-advocate-or-adversary-your-view-of-god-determines-your-parenting-philosophy/

"Jesus came to redeem, to restore, to heal."
Amen and thank you, Lord!

Sam
03-07-2013, 09:29 AM
It sounds cliche, but when you count your blessings, you realize how fortunate you are.

HalcyonFire
03-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I wish you would just tell me know, never, not ever, so I could just get on with things

Lilium
03-14-2013, 07:17 PM
Where do I go from here?

Virginia
03-15-2013, 12:45 AM
Thanks for showing me who You are when I'm questioning.
I don't have all the answers. I don't get it sometimes. But thank you for Your presence in the midst of confusion.

Lilium
03-16-2013, 08:59 AM
This feels right but scary at the same time.

blythe_ann
03-16-2013, 02:02 PM
A young person from our community died last night. Certain deaths make you reevaluate your life more than others. This was one. I want to be living as though I could die at any moment-- living for Christ so when I die I hear "good and faithful servant".

Virginia
03-18-2013, 10:07 PM
God's grace doesn't depend upon me. It's His to give, freely.
Humbling... so, so humbling.

snooch
03-19-2013, 12:11 AM
9 reasons you can face anything - I really needed to read this tonight.

http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/9-reasons-you-can-face-anything (http://www.desiringgod.org/blog/posts/9-reasons-you-can-face-anything)

By the blood of his Son, God has promised infallibly...

I will meet all your needs according to my riches in glory in Christ Jesus (Philippians 4:19).
My power will be made perfect in weakness (2 Corinthians 12:9).
I will strengthen you and help you and hold you up with my righteous right hand (Isaiah 41:10).
I will never leave you nor forsake you (Hebrews 13:5).
I will not let any testing befall you for which I do not give you grace to bear (1 Corinthians 10:13).
I will take the sting away from your death with the blood of my son (1 Corinthians 15:55f).
I will raise you from the dead imperishable (1 Corinthians 15:52).
I will transform your lowly body to be like my glorious body, by the power that enables me even to subject all things to myself (Philippians 3:21).
I will do this without fail because I am absolutely sovereign over everything and therefore, I can do all things, and no purpose of mine can be thwarted (Job 42:2).

snooch
04-02-2013, 03:31 PM
I'm getting schooled today.

Sam
04-03-2013, 10:40 AM
^^God works all things for good for those who love him. I don't know how you got schooled, if it's positive or negative, but even if its hard to see, good will come of it.

My spiritual thought. No matter how hard I try, and when I think I'm doing it right, it seems like I just let things blow up in my face. I need to meditate deep in the Word today.

Virginia
04-05-2013, 02:02 PM
My spiritual thought right now...

God can speak to us in so many different ways, and there is no one right way to speak to Him. He meets us where we are.

Jolinar
04-05-2013, 11:09 PM
I'm praying next weeks tornado outlook doesn't come to be. Many places including where I live are looking at a tor con [tornado condition index] of 5 - 50% chance of a tornado within 50 miles.

spiersdodgerblue
04-19-2013, 09:27 PM
Our God is the God of Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, David, Isaiah, Jeremiah, Nehemiah and Jesus of Nazareth. This God calls us to love Him and others (Matthew 22:36-40), to treat others as we want them to treat us (Luke 6:31) and be ready to lay down our life for a friend (John 15:9-14). Please embrace this God and His Son, Jesus the Christ, like never before. The darkness in our world is and will continue to grow. Let us live like those walking in the light of Jesus (I Thessalonians 5:1-11).

scarygothgirl
04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Isaiah 43:18 says "Do not remember the former things, nor consider the things of old. Behold, I will do a new thing, now it shall spring forth; Shall you not know it? I will even make a road in the wilderness and rivers in the desert."

Sometimes it's good to remember that the past is gone, and God is working in us for a better future. If we trust in God we never need to be concerned with things of the past.

scarygothgirl
04-23-2013, 12:06 PM
Romans 13:8-10 Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for whoever loves others has fulfilled the law. The commandments, “You shall not commit adultery,” “You shall not murder,” “You shall not steal,” “You shall not covet,” and whatever other command there may be, are summed up in this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.” Love does no harm to a neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

The word for love here is 'agape'. This is selfless unconditional sacrificial love, the kind of love that Christ has for us. If we were all to live like Christ and love everyone in this way we wouldn't need the law to tell us what to do- we would automatically do everything for the glory of God, and place others needs before our own.

Virginia
04-28-2013, 09:44 PM
HELP ME TO JUDGE RIGHTLY (someone posted this on another forum)

"Lord, help me to judge others as I want them to judge me: Charitably, not critically, Privately, not publically, Gently, not harshly, In humility, not pride. Help me to believe the best about others until facts prove otherwise - To assume nothing, to seek all sides of the story, And to judge no one until I've removed the log from my own eye. May I never bring only the Law, to find fault and condemn. Help me always to bring the Gospel, to give hope and deliverance, As you, my Judge and Friend, have so graciously done for me."

Sam
05-06-2013, 12:20 AM
I love it when God just blows my mind sometimes. I've been having this "why do I bother? Why do I try so hard, nothing I ever do is good enough" attitude lately and I opened my Bible app to search a verse for someone and the daily verse came up this:
1st Corinthians 15:58 Therefore, my beloved brethren, be steadfast, immovable, always abounding in the work of The Lord. Knowing that your labor is not in vain in The Lord.

I do my best to do everything to the glory of The Lord, and I'm comforted and inspired by knowing that no matter what, my work is not in vain.

Sam
05-20-2013, 02:06 AM
"Actions speak louder than words" is something I have always loved by, but I am learning that, without words, actions lose their effect. I do everything out of love and appreciation for dh but I don't always tell him just how much and deeply that I LOVE and appreciate him. I wouldn't be here without him, I wouldn't be able to take care of my wonderful daughter without him going to work and busting his butt every day. I told him tonight but I really need to tell him more often.

Virginia
05-20-2013, 09:24 AM
I have started praying, every morning, that the Lord would help me see my students the way He sees them and love them the way He does. It's humbling.

Virginia
06-09-2013, 09:27 PM
Meredith Andrews "Not for A Moment" (Lyric Video) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qoh26pC2RT8)Not For a Moment by Meredith Andrews

You were reaching through the storm
And walking on the water
Even when I could not see
In the middle of it all
When I thought You were a thousand miles away
Not for a moment did You forsake me

Chorus
And after all You are constant
After all You are only good
After all You are sovereign
Not for a moment will You forsake me

Verse 2
You were singing in the dark
And whispering Your promise
Even when I could not hear
I was held in Your arms
Carried for a thousand miles to show

Chorus

Bridge
And every step every breath you are there
Every tear every cry every prayer
In my hurt at my worst
When my world falls down
even in the dark
even when its hard
you will never leave
after all

Chorus

You will never leave me Lord
Stay

Jolinar
06-16-2013, 03:59 PM
It's been on my heart now more than ever to pray for all the disabled children and adults in unsafe situations. So many have died at the hands of people who should love them, people pulling pranks, uneducated\ignorant police...the torture these people suffer.

snooch
06-16-2013, 05:06 PM
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.

Sam
06-20-2013, 10:51 AM
You know you are on the right path, making changes to become the person God wants you to be, improving yourself and your life to glorify God more, when you start getting attacked out of nowhere. You're not going to stop me this time, devil. You're just reaffirming to me that I'm making the right changes and motivating me to push harder!

snooch
06-20-2013, 11:29 AM
You know you are on the right path, making changes to become the person God wants you to be, improving yourself and your life to glorify God more, when you start getting attacked out of nowhere. You're not going to stop me this time, devil. You're just reaffirming to me that I'm making the right changes and motivating me to push harder!

Resist the devil, and he will flee from you. :thumbsup: :hug:

Sam
06-22-2013, 12:26 PM
I love it when I'm minding my own business and God sends a sign that is undeniable, just from out of nowhere. So, all these attacks I'm feeling, plus that sign, I KNOW I'm heading in the right direction and my motivation is through the roof now. :)