PDA

View Full Version : Security Tips - CG and Elsewhere

snooch
07-28-2011, 01:06 AM
Hi ladies,

To follow up on the theme of internet security and password safety from Virginia's thread, the staff wants to offer a few tips toward keeping yourself safe, both on the internet and at CG specifically.

General Tips:

Change your passwords often!
Do not use the same password for less-critical sites (like CG) as you use for critical sites like online banking and email
Do not use dictionary words, important dates like birthdays or anniversaries, children's or pet's names, or other personal information as your password
Add symbols like *, +, or - to your passwords, use a combination of lower case and upper case letters, and include at least one number
Do not follow memes on Facebook or elsewhere that ask you to announce anniversaries, birth dates, birth locations, home towns, or other personal information that can be used to answer a security question on your behalf

CG-Specific Tips:

Change your password more frequently than the once a year that the site requires
Download or delete your private messages periodically, in the event your account is compromised
Do not post any information on the forums or elsewhere that you would not want known by the general public
Remember, the only requirements for membership here are that you be a woman over the age of 18. Most of us know each other fairly well and can be lulled into the sense that only our closer friends are reading what we write. But the reality is that anyone who meets the criteria can be a member, and anyone who is a member can lurk.

With the help of a knowledgeable tech person who was very generous with his time and expertise (Xinnamon's husband :D), our site security has been reviewed and tightened up. But as we have seen in the news from incidents with PlayStation and other big sites, intrusions can happen anywhere. So it's always best to be safe and practice good internet security no matter where you browse!

:)

GM
07-28-2011, 01:23 AM
Thank you Xin's husband :) And thank you Snooch for the reminder.

Hope
07-28-2011, 01:29 AM
Thanks, Mr. Xinnamon :) and Snooch!

purple
07-28-2011, 02:15 AM
Thanks Mr Xin and Snoochy!

spiersdodgerblue
07-28-2011, 02:29 AM
Thanks to all the staff for your efforts and time!

KarrieMarie08
07-28-2011, 10:49 AM
I have a question, I have an hotmail addy I use for myspace , I just found out since one of my other emails is in my address book on that email that it got hacked. when I went to change the email password it was compromised and it took me to the main page and won't allow me to change it. Have you been through this before?

snooch
07-28-2011, 11:39 AM
I have a question, I have an hotmail addy I use for myspace , I just found out since one of my other emails is in my address book on that email that it got hacked. when I went to change the email password it was compromised and it took me to the main page and won't allow me to change it. Have you been through this before?

You'll probably need to contact Hotmail through any help forms or contacts they have listed on their site, and let them know your account has been compromised. Don't go to the site through any emails you may have received, because they may not be legitimate and could be phishing. Go directly to the site by typing in the URL yourself, and try to log in. If you can't, use their help forms to put in a support ticket, and hope for the best.

KarrieMarie08
07-28-2011, 06:03 PM
I don't click on links that spammers sends me through emails.

BelovedDaughter
07-28-2011, 10:10 PM
With some sites, such as myspace, you have to be careful to make sure the address is correct, because if not, it could be a phishing scam, like snooch said. Make sure you type in the web address yourself, not just letting your computer auto-complete the address for you.

I have a hotmail account also for my main email, and if you go to your inbox and click around (mine has a blue question mark in the upper right hand corner), you can find the help section.

snooch
07-29-2011, 04:02 PM
One of our own fine ladies linked me to this site, which could be very useful for determining if you need to change your password. I looked into it a little, and LifeHacker (a popular internet security site) recommends it. This site has taken public user information that has been released by hackers who stole it, and provided a tool for users to see if their information was included in what was stolen.

When you visit the site, you just enter the email address you use for various accounts and click "Check it!" A large database of compromised account passwords and their associated email addresses (see the sources here (https://shouldichangemypassword.com/sources.php)) will be searched and you'll find out if you're in one of them. If you are, you should change your password right away. If not, you're safe for the time being but you'll be reminded to still change your password regularly.

http://lifehacker.com/5814917/should-i-change-my-password-quickly-checks-if-your-password-was-compromised-in-a-recent-hack (http://lifehacker.com/5814917/should-i-change-my-password-quickly-checks-if-your-password-was-compromised-in-a-recent-hack)

www.shouldichangemypassword.com (http://www.shouldichangemypassword.com)

jelvenko
07-29-2011, 07:38 PM
Thanks for all the tips! :)

One thing I've noticed happening more and more lately is that I have friends whose e-mail accounts have been hacked and in turn I'm getting spam from their accounts. (I know it's spam because it's from friends who NEVER e-mail me.) So even if you know the person sending the e-mail, be careful. If it is spam, or looks like spam then contact the friend who sent it to you and verify that they sent it, or if they didn't it will let them know that they have been hacked.

snooch
07-29-2011, 09:23 PM
I've seen that happen to friends twice this week, Jessica!

jelvenko
07-30-2011, 03:12 PM
Just a thought, but would it be possible to make this thread a sticky? It has lots of great information in it not just for safety here on CG, but other websites as well. I would hate to see it get lost in the clutter of other threads.

snooch
07-30-2011, 06:44 PM
Just a thought, but would it be possible to make this thread a sticky? It has lots of great information in it not just for safety here on CG, but other websites as well. I would hate to see it get lost in the clutter of other threads.

Great idea :D